Re: Problem with Disk Defrag

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11 6:45 PM
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
      > Hi Everyone,
      > I ran scan disk. Everything was OK no problem. I then ran defrag
      and it
      > reported just before it finished, it was about 95% complete when it
      said
      > there is an error on the disk and defrag cannot defrag until it is
      repaired
      > Please run Scan Disk. So I ran it again and it still reports no
      prblems
      > found. But when I tried to run defrag again, same error message and
      defrag
      > will not complete the defragmentation of the drive. I am using
      Windows ME
      > and the computer is an HP 1.4 gighertz with 512 meg of memory.
      Anyone know
      > what to do here?
      > ed

      I had that same problem when I used Windows ME Ed. A year later my
      hard drive died but I'm not so sure it was related to that error (I
      had been hearing nasty grinding noises coming out of it, a very bad
      sign for a hard drive). I just ignored the defrag message, in fact I
      quit defragging the drive.

      Contrary to popular belief your hard drive won't disintegrate if you
      don't defrag on a regular basis. It's a good idea to defrag, but I
      wouldn't lose any sleep over not doing it either.

      John