Re: I need help with my internet connection

  • John Zeman
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
      If it's any consolation to you Larry, you've got company.

      There are two issues involving Windows 98 and dial up networking that
      have frustrated me to no end over the years.

      One is the problem you're having, when all of a sudden for no
      apparent reason IE, your email program (or whatever) fails to
      automatically connect to the internet. I have scoured every setting
      I could think of to no avail trying to find an answer to that.
      Finally, I just made it a policy to connect to the internet first
      before I run any internet related programs, and I've been doing it
      that way ever since.

      The second problem is the "in some computers" incredibly slow
      connection time to the internet. When one computer will dial up and
      connect in a normal amount of time (about 20 seconds give or take)
      while another computer will take 2 full minutes or more to connect.
      One time I purchased two brand new identical computers from the same
      company at the same time and set them both up identically with the
      same software through and through. Guess what? Yup, one connects to
      the net normally, and the other (from day one to this day) takes
      several minutes to connect.

      That's ok though, I got my revenge on Microsoft.

      I took Bill Gates name off my Christmas card mailing list, that fixed
      his little red wagon but good.

      John
    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
        FWIW I've backtracked with 98-XP after doing updates with no problems.
        Since the updates are almost always file updates and not any real registry
        updates, it's no big deal.

        Plus, you can always install a patch over again.

        I can always mail you the M$ fix (published my M$) for MyDoom to make sure
        it's gone. Believe it or not, it works well from what I hear.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
          I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
          problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
          up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
          dial a connection" which was selected.

          [Brian Binder] We'll want to see if we can change it to dial up your default
          connection...

          There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
          whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial my
          default connection". I received the same error message below for
          both:

          [Brian Binder] Use 'Always Dial my Default Connection' or whatever you named
          your ISP dial-up connection.

          The error message was:

          Iexplore

          This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

          If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

          [Brian Binder] Don't you just love those errors? I'll give you an illegal
          operation you @$#! Computer! ... ok just calm down Brian...

          Anyways, this happens when you simply change the radio button, or is it when
          you hit OK or Apply?

          You may want to consider going through your add / remove programs and using
          the repair feature of IE6. When you go to uninstall/modify it, it should
          ask you if you want to repair it and you can choose yes.

          Then try the setting and see what happens.

          This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It's because IE is so intertwined with
          Windows OSes. When IE fails, so does half the other things on your PC.
          Stupid, huh?

          Brian
        • Ed
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
            Does your ISP have a toll free number, if so call them and they will get you set up right away or at least most ISP's will. The two that I have used have been most helpful each time that I call them.
            Ed