Problem with Disk Defrag

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
      Hi Everyone,
      I ran scan disk. Everything was OK no problem. I then ran defrag and it
      reported just before it finished, it was about 95% complete when it said
      there is an error on the disk and defrag cannot defrag until it is repaired
      Please run Scan Disk. So I ran it again and it still reports no prblems
      found. But when I tried to run defrag again, same error message and defrag
      will not complete the defragmentation of the drive. I am using Windows ME
      and the computer is an HP 1.4 gighertz with 512 meg of memory. Anyone know
      what to do here?
      ed
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
        Ed wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        > I ran scan disk. Everything was OK no problem. I then ran defrag and it
        > reported just before it finished, it was about 95% complete when it said
        > there is an error on the disk and defrag cannot defrag until it is
        repaired
        > Please run Scan Disk. So I ran it again and it still reports no prblems
        > found. But when I tried to run defrag again, same error message and
        defrag
        > will not complete the defragmentation of the drive. I am using
        Windows ME
        > and the computer is an HP 1.4 gigahertz with 512 meg of memory.
        Anyone know
        > what to do here?
        > ed

        Hi ed,

        You might try opening a, Dos Box, Command Prompt, whichever you call it
        and trying running - Chkdsk C: /F.

        It won't run in Windows mode, if it's like Win98 and XP it will ask if
        you want to run it on the 'next boot'.

        If that works and you reboot, re-run Scandisk, then Defrag to see if you
        get a successful completion.

        hrs
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Ed" <ebrown27@b...> wrote:
          > Hi Everyone,
          > I ran scan disk. Everything was OK no problem. I then ran defrag
          and it
          > reported just before it finished, it was about 95% complete when it
          said
          > there is an error on the disk and defrag cannot defrag until it is
          repaired
          > Please run Scan Disk. So I ran it again and it still reports no
          prblems
          > found. But when I tried to run defrag again, same error message and
          defrag
          > will not complete the defragmentation of the drive. I am using
          Windows ME
          > and the computer is an HP 1.4 gighertz with 512 meg of memory.
          Anyone know
          > what to do here?
          > ed

          I had that same problem when I used Windows ME Ed. A year later my
          hard drive died but I'm not so sure it was related to that error (I
          had been hearing nasty grinding noises coming out of it, a very bad
          sign for a hard drive). I just ignored the defrag message, in fact I
          quit defragging the drive.

          Contrary to popular belief your hard drive won't disintegrate if you
          don't defrag on a regular basis. It's a good idea to defrag, but I
          wouldn't lose any sleep over not doing it either.

          John