Re: I need help with my internet connection

  • Lawrence R. Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
      Hi Hugo,

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen"
      <hugopaulissen@s...> wrote:

      > Larry,
      >
      > Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find
      > quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to
      > specific PC-configuration.
      >
      > It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
      > which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide
      more
      > help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
      > errormessage...
      >
      > Hugo

      I am running Windows 98 Second Edition
      Version 4.10.2222 A

      And

      Microsoft Internet Explorer
      Version 6.0.2800.1106

      I think that there is one thing that should be paid attention to.
      All of the error problems are occurring with every single program
      that would normally launch the Dialer. The only difference is in the
      error messages being returned by the program when it fails to detect
      the ISP.

      Possibly the worm changed a registry setting to its own program and
      my cleaner failed to restore it.

      I do have a copy of my older registry settings that I could restore
      but I just upgraded to the last seventeen of Mocrosoft's security
      patches and I just don't want to mess things up by restoreing old
      registry settings that don't include them. I might even do more
      damage than I have now if I do that.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
        If it's any consolation to you Larry, you've got company.

        There are two issues involving Windows 98 and dial up networking that
        have frustrated me to no end over the years.

        One is the problem you're having, when all of a sudden for no
        apparent reason IE, your email program (or whatever) fails to
        automatically connect to the internet. I have scoured every setting
        I could think of to no avail trying to find an answer to that.
        Finally, I just made it a policy to connect to the internet first
        before I run any internet related programs, and I've been doing it
        that way ever since.

        The second problem is the "in some computers" incredibly slow
        connection time to the internet. When one computer will dial up and
        connect in a normal amount of time (about 20 seconds give or take)
        while another computer will take 2 full minutes or more to connect.
        One time I purchased two brand new identical computers from the same
        company at the same time and set them both up identically with the
        same software through and through. Guess what? Yup, one connects to
        the net normally, and the other (from day one to this day) takes
        several minutes to connect.

        That's ok though, I got my revenge on Microsoft.

        I took Bill Gates name off my Christmas card mailing list, that fixed
        his little red wagon but good.

        John
      • Brian Binder
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
          FWIW I've backtracked with 98-XP after doing updates with no problems.
          Since the updates are almost always file updates and not any real registry
          updates, it's no big deal.

          Plus, you can always install a patch over again.

          I can always mail you the M$ fix (published my M$) for MyDoom to make sure
          it's gone. Believe it or not, it works well from what I hear.

          Brian

          > Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find
          > quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to
          > specific PC-configuration.
          >
          > It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
          > which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide
          more
          > help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
          > errormessage...
          >
          > Hugo

          I am running Windows 98 Second Edition
          Version 4.10.2222 A

          And

          Microsoft Internet Explorer
          Version 6.0.2800.1106

          I think that there is one thing that should be paid attention to.
          All of the error problems are occurring with every single program
          that would normally launch the Dialer. The only difference is in the
          error messages being returned by the program when it fails to detect
          the ISP.

          Possibly the worm changed a registry setting to its own program and
          my cleaner failed to restore it.

          I do have a copy of my older registry settings that I could restore
          but I just upgraded to the last seventeen of Mocrosoft's security
          patches and I just don't want to mess things up by restoreing old
          registry settings that don't include them. I might even do more
          damage than I have now if I do that.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
            I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
            problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
            up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
            dial a connection" which was selected.

            [Brian Binder] We'll want to see if we can change it to dial up your default
            connection...

            There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
            whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial my
            default connection". I received the same error message below for
            both:

            [Brian Binder] Use 'Always Dial my Default Connection' or whatever you named
            your ISP dial-up connection.

            The error message was:

            Iexplore

            This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

            If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

            [Brian Binder] Don't you just love those errors? I'll give you an illegal
            operation you @$#! Computer! ... ok just calm down Brian...

            Anyways, this happens when you simply change the radio button, or is it when
            you hit OK or Apply?

            You may want to consider going through your add / remove programs and using
            the repair feature of IE6. When you go to uninstall/modify it, it should
            ask you if you want to repair it and you can choose yes.

            Then try the setting and see what happens.

            This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It's because IE is so intertwined with
            Windows OSes. When IE fails, so does half the other things on your PC.
            Stupid, huh?

            Brian
          • Ed
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
              Does your ISP have a toll free number, if so call them and they will get you set up right away or at least most ISP's will. The two that I have used have been most helpful each time that I call them.
              Ed