Re: I need help with my internet connection

  • hugo_paulissen
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
      Larry,

      Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find a
      quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to a
      specific PC-configuration.

      It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
      which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide more
      help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
      errormessage...

      Hugo

      > I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
      > problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
      > up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
      > dial a connection" which was selected.
      >
      > This caused me to get the following error message when I try to run
      > Eudora:
      >
      > Error getting network address for "mail.commongroup.net"
      >
      > Cause: host not found (11001)
      >
      > MS Internet Explorer just returns a page with the massage:
      >
      > The Page cannot be Displayed.
      >
      > There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
      > whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial
      my
      > default connection". I received the same error message below for
      > both:
      >
      > The error message was:
      >
      > Iexplore
      >
      > This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
      >
      > If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.
      >
      > and there was a detail button. When I clicked this button I got:
      >
      > IEXPLORE caused a general protection fault
      > in module USER.EXE at 000c:0000107b.
      > Registers:
      > EAX=00000002 CS=176f EIP=0000107b EFLGS=00000297
      > EBX=00020000 SS=68c7 ESP=000083d6 EBP=013d83e0
      > ECX=00010e04 DS=16bf ESI=00020002 FS=6bb7
      > EDX=e3986876 ES=0000 EDI=0002d3d0 GS=0000
      > Bytes at CS:EIP:
      > 26 80 3f 5b 75 05 b8 ff ff eb 44 8b 7e 0c 66 8b
      > Stack dump:
      > d3d00000 00000000 84166876 0000112e 00020000 981c6876 00000000
      > 258b0000 8404176f d3d068c7 1f610002 1f61176f 8416176f d3d044b5
      > 00000002 00010001
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Larry
      > lrt@n... e¿ê
    • Lawrence R. Thomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
        Hi Hugo,

        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen"
        <hugopaulissen@s...> wrote:

        > Larry,
        >
        > Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find
        > quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to
        > specific PC-configuration.
        >
        > It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
        > which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide
        more
        > help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
        > errormessage...
        >
        > Hugo

        I am running Windows 98 Second Edition
        Version 4.10.2222 A

        And

        Microsoft Internet Explorer
        Version 6.0.2800.1106

        I think that there is one thing that should be paid attention to.
        All of the error problems are occurring with every single program
        that would normally launch the Dialer. The only difference is in the
        error messages being returned by the program when it fails to detect
        the ISP.

        Possibly the worm changed a registry setting to its own program and
        my cleaner failed to restore it.

        I do have a copy of my older registry settings that I could restore
        but I just upgraded to the last seventeen of Mocrosoft's security
        patches and I just don't want to mess things up by restoreing old
        registry settings that don't include them. I might even do more
        damage than I have now if I do that.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
          If it's any consolation to you Larry, you've got company.

          There are two issues involving Windows 98 and dial up networking that
          have frustrated me to no end over the years.

          One is the problem you're having, when all of a sudden for no
          apparent reason IE, your email program (or whatever) fails to
          automatically connect to the internet. I have scoured every setting
          I could think of to no avail trying to find an answer to that.
          Finally, I just made it a policy to connect to the internet first
          before I run any internet related programs, and I've been doing it
          that way ever since.

          The second problem is the "in some computers" incredibly slow
          connection time to the internet. When one computer will dial up and
          connect in a normal amount of time (about 20 seconds give or take)
          while another computer will take 2 full minutes or more to connect.
          One time I purchased two brand new identical computers from the same
          company at the same time and set them both up identically with the
          same software through and through. Guess what? Yup, one connects to
          the net normally, and the other (from day one to this day) takes
          several minutes to connect.

          That's ok though, I got my revenge on Microsoft.

          I took Bill Gates name off my Christmas card mailing list, that fixed
          his little red wagon but good.

          John
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
            FWIW I've backtracked with 98-XP after doing updates with no problems.
            Since the updates are almost always file updates and not any real registry
            updates, it's no big deal.

            Plus, you can always install a patch over again.

            I can always mail you the M$ fix (published my M$) for MyDoom to make sure
            it's gone. Believe it or not, it works well from what I hear.

            Brian

            > Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find
            > quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to
            > specific PC-configuration.
            >
            > It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
            > which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide
            more
            > help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
            > errormessage...
            >
            > Hugo

            I am running Windows 98 Second Edition
            Version 4.10.2222 A

            And

            Microsoft Internet Explorer
            Version 6.0.2800.1106

            I think that there is one thing that should be paid attention to.
            All of the error problems are occurring with every single program
            that would normally launch the Dialer. The only difference is in the
            error messages being returned by the program when it fails to detect
            the ISP.

            Possibly the worm changed a registry setting to its own program and
            my cleaner failed to restore it.

            I do have a copy of my older registry settings that I could restore
            but I just upgraded to the last seventeen of Mocrosoft's security
            patches and I just don't want to mess things up by restoreing old
            registry settings that don't include them. I might even do more
            damage than I have now if I do that.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Brian Binder
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
              I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
              problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
              up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
              dial a connection" which was selected.

              [Brian Binder] We'll want to see if we can change it to dial up your default
              connection...

              There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
              whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial my
              default connection". I received the same error message below for
              both:

              [Brian Binder] Use 'Always Dial my Default Connection' or whatever you named
              your ISP dial-up connection.

              The error message was:

              Iexplore

              This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

              If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

              [Brian Binder] Don't you just love those errors? I'll give you an illegal
              operation you @$#! Computer! ... ok just calm down Brian...

              Anyways, this happens when you simply change the radio button, or is it when
              you hit OK or Apply?

              You may want to consider going through your add / remove programs and using
              the repair feature of IE6. When you go to uninstall/modify it, it should
              ask you if you want to repair it and you can choose yes.

              Then try the setting and see what happens.

              This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It's because IE is so intertwined with
              Windows OSes. When IE fails, so does half the other things on your PC.
              Stupid, huh?

              Brian
            • Ed
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                Does your ISP have a toll free number, if so call them and they will get you set up right away or at least most ISP's will. The two that I have used have been most helpful each time that I call them.
                Ed