Re: [NTO] I need help with my internet connection

  • Lawrence R. Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
      Hi Brian,

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>
      wrote:
      > So is the virus still present on your system? Have you downloaded
      the
      > cleaner from Panda or Symantec, McAfee, etc.?
      >
      > I'd go further, but I'd rather make sure recommendations aren't
      given to
      > someone still infected, thus making the problems even harder to
      solve.

      > Brian

      I did run two different virus cleaner programs for the worm and it
      seems to be gone for now although I am getting two or three copies
      sent to me every day to delete.

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • hugo_paulissen
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
        Larry,

        Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find a
        quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to a
        specific PC-configuration.

        It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
        which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide more
        help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
        errormessage...

        Hugo

        > I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
        > problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
        > up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
        > dial a connection" which was selected.
        >
        > This caused me to get the following error message when I try to run
        > Eudora:
        >
        > Error getting network address for "mail.commongroup.net"
        >
        > Cause: host not found (11001)
        >
        > MS Internet Explorer just returns a page with the massage:
        >
        > The Page cannot be Displayed.
        >
        > There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
        > whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial
        my
        > default connection". I received the same error message below for
        > both:
        >
        > The error message was:
        >
        > Iexplore
        >
        > This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
        >
        > If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.
        >
        > and there was a detail button. When I clicked this button I got:
        >
        > IEXPLORE caused a general protection fault
        > in module USER.EXE at 000c:0000107b.
        > Registers:
        > EAX=00000002 CS=176f EIP=0000107b EFLGS=00000297
        > EBX=00020000 SS=68c7 ESP=000083d6 EBP=013d83e0
        > ECX=00010e04 DS=16bf ESI=00020002 FS=6bb7
        > EDX=e3986876 ES=0000 EDI=0002d3d0 GS=0000
        > Bytes at CS:EIP:
        > 26 80 3f 5b 75 05 b8 ff ff eb 44 8b 7e 0c 66 8b
        > Stack dump:
        > d3d00000 00000000 84166876 0000112e 00020000 981c6876 00000000
        > 258b0000 8404176f d3d068c7 1f610002 1f61176f 8416176f d3d044b5
        > 00000002 00010001
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Larry
        > lrt@n... e¿ê
      • Lawrence R. Thomas
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
          Hi Hugo,

          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen"
          <hugopaulissen@s...> wrote:

          > Larry,
          >
          > Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find
          > quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to
          > specific PC-configuration.
          >
          > It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
          > which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide
          more
          > help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
          > errormessage...
          >
          > Hugo

          I am running Windows 98 Second Edition
          Version 4.10.2222 A

          And

          Microsoft Internet Explorer
          Version 6.0.2800.1106

          I think that there is one thing that should be paid attention to.
          All of the error problems are occurring with every single program
          that would normally launch the Dialer. The only difference is in the
          error messages being returned by the program when it fails to detect
          the ISP.

          Possibly the worm changed a registry setting to its own program and
          my cleaner failed to restore it.

          I do have a copy of my older registry settings that I could restore
          but I just upgraded to the last seventeen of Mocrosoft's security
          patches and I just don't want to mess things up by restoreing old
          registry settings that don't include them. I might even do more
          damage than I have now if I do that.

          Regards,

          Larry
          lrt@... e¿ê
        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
            If it's any consolation to you Larry, you've got company.

            There are two issues involving Windows 98 and dial up networking that
            have frustrated me to no end over the years.

            One is the problem you're having, when all of a sudden for no
            apparent reason IE, your email program (or whatever) fails to
            automatically connect to the internet. I have scoured every setting
            I could think of to no avail trying to find an answer to that.
            Finally, I just made it a policy to connect to the internet first
            before I run any internet related programs, and I've been doing it
            that way ever since.

            The second problem is the "in some computers" incredibly slow
            connection time to the internet. When one computer will dial up and
            connect in a normal amount of time (about 20 seconds give or take)
            while another computer will take 2 full minutes or more to connect.
            One time I purchased two brand new identical computers from the same
            company at the same time and set them both up identically with the
            same software through and through. Guess what? Yup, one connects to
            the net normally, and the other (from day one to this day) takes
            several minutes to connect.

            That's ok though, I got my revenge on Microsoft.

            I took Bill Gates name off my Christmas card mailing list, that fixed
            his little red wagon but good.

            John
          • Brian Binder
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
              FWIW I've backtracked with 98-XP after doing updates with no problems.
              Since the updates are almost always file updates and not any real registry
              updates, it's no big deal.

              Plus, you can always install a patch over again.

              I can always mail you the M$ fix (published my M$) for MyDoom to make sure
              it's gone. Believe it or not, it works well from what I hear.

              Brian

              > Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find
              > quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to
              > specific PC-configuration.
              >
              > It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
              > which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide
              more
              > help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
              > errormessage...
              >
              > Hugo

              I am running Windows 98 Second Edition
              Version 4.10.2222 A

              And

              Microsoft Internet Explorer
              Version 6.0.2800.1106

              I think that there is one thing that should be paid attention to.
              All of the error problems are occurring with every single program
              that would normally launch the Dialer. The only difference is in the
              error messages being returned by the program when it fails to detect
              the ISP.

              Possibly the worm changed a registry setting to its own program and
              my cleaner failed to restore it.

              I do have a copy of my older registry settings that I could restore
              but I just upgraded to the last seventeen of Mocrosoft's security
              patches and I just don't want to mess things up by restoreing old
              registry settings that don't include them. I might even do more
              damage than I have now if I do that.

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
                problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
                up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
                dial a connection" which was selected.

                [Brian Binder] We'll want to see if we can change it to dial up your default
                connection...

                There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
                whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial my
                default connection". I received the same error message below for
                both:

                [Brian Binder] Use 'Always Dial my Default Connection' or whatever you named
                your ISP dial-up connection.

                The error message was:

                Iexplore

                This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

                If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

                [Brian Binder] Don't you just love those errors? I'll give you an illegal
                operation you @$#! Computer! ... ok just calm down Brian...

                Anyways, this happens when you simply change the radio button, or is it when
                you hit OK or Apply?

                You may want to consider going through your add / remove programs and using
                the repair feature of IE6. When you go to uninstall/modify it, it should
                ask you if you want to repair it and you can choose yes.

                Then try the setting and see what happens.

                This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It's because IE is so intertwined with
                Windows OSes. When IE fails, so does half the other things on your PC.
                Stupid, huh?

                Brian
              • Ed
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                  Does your ISP have a toll free number, if so call them and they will get you set up right away or at least most ISP's will. The two that I have used have been most helpful each time that I call them.
                  Ed