Re: I need help with my internet connection

  • Lawrence R. Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
      Hi Hugo,

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen"
      <hugopaulissen@s...> wrote:
      > Larry,
      >
      > Maybe this will help?
      >
      > "If Internet Explorer is used to auto dial your Internet connection
      > when you loaded it, but no longer does, and you use Dial-Up
      > Networking, it is possible the settings have been changed. If you
      > have already configured your Dial-Up Networking Connection properly
      > for your Provider, try the following to verify that the Internet
      > Explorer settings are correct:"
      >
      > Read on at...
      >
      > http://www.winbookcorp.com/_technote/WBTA07120151.htm

      I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
      problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
      up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
      dial a connection" which was selected.

      This caused me to get the following error message when I try to run
      Eudora:

      Error getting network address for "mail.commongroup.net"

      Cause: host not found (11001)

      MS Internet Explorer just returns a page with the massage:

      The Page cannot be Displayed.

      There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
      whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial my
      default connection". I received the same error message below for
      both:

      The error message was:

      Iexplore

      This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

      If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

      and there was a detail button. When I clicked this button I got:

      IEXPLORE caused a general protection fault
      in module USER.EXE at 000c:0000107b.
      Registers:
      EAX=00000002 CS=176f EIP=0000107b EFLGS=00000297
      EBX=00020000 SS=68c7 ESP=000083d6 EBP=013d83e0
      ECX=00010e04 DS=16bf ESI=00020002 FS=6bb7
      EDX=e3986876 ES=0000 EDI=0002d3d0 GS=0000
      Bytes at CS:EIP:
      26 80 3f 5b 75 05 b8 ff ff eb 44 8b 7e 0c 66 8b
      Stack dump:
      d3d00000 00000000 84166876 0000112e 00020000 981c6876 00000000
      258b0000 8404176f d3d068c7 1f610002 1f61176f 8416176f d3d044b5
      00000002 00010001

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • Lawrence R. Thomas
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
        Hi Brian,

        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>
        wrote:
        > So is the virus still present on your system? Have you downloaded
        the
        > cleaner from Panda or Symantec, McAfee, etc.?
        >
        > I'd go further, but I'd rather make sure recommendations aren't
        given to
        > someone still infected, thus making the problems even harder to
        solve.

        > Brian

        I did run two different virus cleaner programs for the worm and it
        seems to be gone for now although I am getting two or three copies
        sent to me every day to delete.

        Regards,

        Larry
        lrt@... e¿ê
      • hugo_paulissen
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
          Larry,

          Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find a
          quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to a
          specific PC-configuration.

          It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
          which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide more
          help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
          errormessage...

          Hugo

          > I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
          > problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
          > up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
          > dial a connection" which was selected.
          >
          > This caused me to get the following error message when I try to run
          > Eudora:
          >
          > Error getting network address for "mail.commongroup.net"
          >
          > Cause: host not found (11001)
          >
          > MS Internet Explorer just returns a page with the massage:
          >
          > The Page cannot be Displayed.
          >
          > There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
          > whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial
          my
          > default connection". I received the same error message below for
          > both:
          >
          > The error message was:
          >
          > Iexplore
          >
          > This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
          >
          > If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.
          >
          > and there was a detail button. When I clicked this button I got:
          >
          > IEXPLORE caused a general protection fault
          > in module USER.EXE at 000c:0000107b.
          > Registers:
          > EAX=00000002 CS=176f EIP=0000107b EFLGS=00000297
          > EBX=00020000 SS=68c7 ESP=000083d6 EBP=013d83e0
          > ECX=00010e04 DS=16bf ESI=00020002 FS=6bb7
          > EDX=e3986876 ES=0000 EDI=0002d3d0 GS=0000
          > Bytes at CS:EIP:
          > 26 80 3f 5b 75 05 b8 ff ff eb 44 8b 7e 0c 66 8b
          > Stack dump:
          > d3d00000 00000000 84166876 0000112e 00020000 981c6876 00000000
          > 258b0000 8404176f d3d068c7 1f610002 1f61176f 8416176f d3d044b5
          > 00000002 00010001
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Larry
          > lrt@n... e¿ê
        • Lawrence R. Thomas
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004

            <hugopaulissen@s...> wrote:

            > Larry,
            >
            > Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find
            > quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to
            > specific PC-configuration.
            >
            > It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
            > which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide
            more
            > help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
            > errormessage...
            >
            > Hugo

            I am running Windows 98 Second Edition
            Version 4.10.2222 A

            And

            Microsoft Internet Explorer
            Version 6.0.2800.1106

            I think that there is one thing that should be paid attention to.
            All of the error problems are occurring with every single program
            that would normally launch the Dialer. The only difference is in the
            error messages being returned by the program when it fails to detect
            the ISP.

            Possibly the worm changed a registry setting to its own program and
            my cleaner failed to restore it.

            I do have a copy of my older registry settings that I could restore
            but I just upgraded to the last seventeen of Mocrosoft's security
            patches and I just don't want to mess things up by restoreing old
            registry settings that don't include them. I might even do more
            damage than I have now if I do that.

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
              If it's any consolation to you Larry, you've got company.

              There are two issues involving Windows 98 and dial up networking that
              have frustrated me to no end over the years.

              One is the problem you're having, when all of a sudden for no
              apparent reason IE, your email program (or whatever) fails to
              automatically connect to the internet. I have scoured every setting
              I could think of to no avail trying to find an answer to that.
              Finally, I just made it a policy to connect to the internet first
              before I run any internet related programs, and I've been doing it
              that way ever since.

              The second problem is the "in some computers" incredibly slow
              connection time to the internet. When one computer will dial up and
              connect in a normal amount of time (about 20 seconds give or take)
              while another computer will take 2 full minutes or more to connect.
              One time I purchased two brand new identical computers from the same
              company at the same time and set them both up identically with the
              same software through and through. Guess what? Yup, one connects to
              the net normally, and the other (from day one to this day) takes
              several minutes to connect.

              That's ok though, I got my revenge on Microsoft.

              I took Bill Gates name off my Christmas card mailing list, that fixed
              his little red wagon but good.

              John
            • Brian Binder
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                FWIW I've backtracked with 98-XP after doing updates with no problems.
                Since the updates are almost always file updates and not any real registry
                updates, it's no big deal.

                Plus, you can always install a patch over again.

                I can always mail you the M$ fix (published my M$) for MyDoom to make sure
                it's gone. Believe it or not, it works well from what I hear.

                Brian

                > Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find
                > quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to
                > specific PC-configuration.
                >
                > It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
                > which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide
                more
                > help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
                > errormessage...
                >
                > Hugo

                I am running Windows 98 Second Edition
                Version 4.10.2222 A

                And

                Microsoft Internet Explorer
                Version 6.0.2800.1106

                I think that there is one thing that should be paid attention to.
                All of the error problems are occurring with every single program
                that would normally launch the Dialer. The only difference is in the
                error messages being returned by the program when it fails to detect
                the ISP.

                Possibly the worm changed a registry setting to its own program and
                my cleaner failed to restore it.

                I do have a copy of my older registry settings that I could restore
                but I just upgraded to the last seventeen of Mocrosoft's security
                patches and I just don't want to mess things up by restoreing old
                registry settings that don't include them. I might even do more
                damage than I have now if I do that.

                Regards,

                Larry
                lrt@... e¿ê

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Brian Binder
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                  I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
                  problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
                  up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
                  dial a connection" which was selected.

                  [Brian Binder] We'll want to see if we can change it to dial up your default
                  connection...

                  There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
                  whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial my
                  default connection". I received the same error message below for
                  both:

                  [Brian Binder] Use 'Always Dial my Default Connection' or whatever you named
                  your ISP dial-up connection.

                  The error message was:

                  Iexplore

                  This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

                  If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

                  [Brian Binder] Don't you just love those errors? I'll give you an illegal
                  operation you @$#! Computer! ... ok just calm down Brian...

                  Anyways, this happens when you simply change the radio button, or is it when
                  you hit OK or Apply?

                  You may want to consider going through your add / remove programs and using
                  the repair feature of IE6. When you go to uninstall/modify it, it should
                  ask you if you want to repair it and you can choose yes.

                  Then try the setting and see what happens.

                  This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It's because IE is so intertwined with
                  Windows OSes. When IE fails, so does half the other things on your PC.
                  Stupid, huh?

                  Brian
                • Ed
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                    Does your ISP have a toll free number, if so call them and they will get you set up right away or at least most ISP's will. The two that I have used have been most helpful each time that I call them.
                    Ed