I need help with my internet connection

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
      Hello Everybody,

      I have a problem with my internet connection and I am hoping that someone
      out there can help me. I am able to connect to the internet and send and
      receive email and use my other internet programs ok right now. My problem
      is that I now must first start the DUNS (Dial Up Network Services)
      connection and click on "connect" in order to get connected to my ISP
      before I can run any programs such as Eudora or Mozilla or MS Internet
      Explorer. Before I had this problem, I could just run Eudora and then when
      Eudora started, it would launch the DUNS dialog box and the DUNS dialog box
      would automatically dial in to my ISP and then Eudora would check my mail
      and download it once the connection was made.

      Now when I start Eudora, it tries to download my mail without going on line
      and of coarse, I get an error message "Host not found" and the error sound.
      Then Eudora will not do anything else. I dismiss the error message and
      click on the "check mail" button and I get the error message again.

      I close Eudora and go to the short cut for the DUNS dialer and it connects
      me to the ISP. Then I run Eudora and it downloads my mial just fine.

      This problem is affecting all of my internet programs as I have said above
      including my browsers which give the same error messages and a couple of
      small programs for getting weather and setting my system clock which don't
      give error messages but they just never finish - they freeze up and have to
      be closed.

      I did get infected with the Mydoom worm before this happened and that could
      be the cause of it but I don't know what to do now. I have downloaded two
      cleaner programs for it and run them both plus an anti-virus program and it
      has not helped. I just uninstalled the anti-virus program and that did not
      do anything either.

      Does anyone out there have any ideas? Is there a web site where I might
      get information to trouble shoot this problem?

      TIA

      Regards,

      Larry
      lrt@... e¿ê
    • hugo_paulissen
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
        Larry,

        Maybe this will help?

        "If Internet Explorer is used to auto dial your Internet connection
        when you loaded it, but no longer does, and you use Dial-Up
        Networking, it is possible the settings have been changed. If you
        have already configured your Dial-Up Networking Connection properly
        for your Provider, try the following to verify that the Internet
        Explorer settings are correct:"

        Read on at...

        http://www.winbookcorp.com/_technote/WBTA07120151.htm
      • Brian Binder
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
          So is the virus still present on your system? Have you downloaded the
          cleaner from Panda or Symantec, McAfee, etc.?

          I'd go further, but I'd rather make sure recommendations aren't given to
          someone still infected, thus making the problems even harder to solve.

          Brian

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Lawrence R. Thomas
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
            Hi Hugo,

            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "hugo_paulissen"
            <hugopaulissen@s...> wrote:
            > Larry,
            >
            > Maybe this will help?
            >
            > "If Internet Explorer is used to auto dial your Internet connection
            > when you loaded it, but no longer does, and you use Dial-Up
            > Networking, it is possible the settings have been changed. If you
            > have already configured your Dial-Up Networking Connection properly
            > for your Provider, try the following to verify that the Internet
            > Explorer settings are correct:"
            >
            > Read on at...
            >
            > http://www.winbookcorp.com/_technote/WBTA07120151.htm

            I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
            problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
            up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
            dial a connection" which was selected.

            This caused me to get the following error message when I try to run
            Eudora:

            Error getting network address for "mail.commongroup.net"

            Cause: host not found (11001)

            MS Internet Explorer just returns a page with the massage:

            The Page cannot be Displayed.

            There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
            whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial my
            default connection". I received the same error message below for
            both:

            The error message was:

            Iexplore

            This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

            If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

            and there was a detail button. When I clicked this button I got:

            IEXPLORE caused a general protection fault
            in module USER.EXE at 000c:0000107b.
            Registers:
            EAX=00000002 CS=176f EIP=0000107b EFLGS=00000297
            EBX=00020000 SS=68c7 ESP=000083d6 EBP=013d83e0
            ECX=00010e04 DS=16bf ESI=00020002 FS=6bb7
            EDX=e3986876 ES=0000 EDI=0002d3d0 GS=0000
            Bytes at CS:EIP:
            26 80 3f 5b 75 05 b8 ff ff eb 44 8b 7e 0c 66 8b
            Stack dump:
            d3d00000 00000000 84166876 0000112e 00020000 981c6876 00000000
            258b0000 8404176f d3d068c7 1f610002 1f61176f 8416176f d3d044b5
            00000002 00010001

            Regards,

            Larry
            lrt@... e¿ê
          • Lawrence R. Thomas
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
              Hi Brian,

              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>
              wrote:
              > So is the virus still present on your system? Have you downloaded
              the
              > cleaner from Panda or Symantec, McAfee, etc.?
              >
              > I'd go further, but I'd rather make sure recommendations aren't
              given to
              > someone still infected, thus making the problems even harder to
              solve.

              > Brian

              I did run two different virus cleaner programs for the worm and it
              seems to be gone for now although I am getting two or three copies
              sent to me every day to delete.

              Regards,

              Larry
              lrt@... e¿ê
            • hugo_paulissen
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
                Larry,

                Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find a
                quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to a
                specific PC-configuration.

                It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
                which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide more
                help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
                errormessage...

                Hugo

                > I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
                > problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
                > up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
                > dial a connection" which was selected.
                >
                > This caused me to get the following error message when I try to run
                > Eudora:
                >
                > Error getting network address for "mail.commongroup.net"
                >
                > Cause: host not found (11001)
                >
                > MS Internet Explorer just returns a page with the massage:
                >
                > The Page cannot be Displayed.
                >
                > There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
                > whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial
                my
                > default connection". I received the same error message below for
                > both:
                >
                > The error message was:
                >
                > Iexplore
                >
                > This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
                >
                > If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.
                >
                > and there was a detail button. When I clicked this button I got:
                >
                > IEXPLORE caused a general protection fault
                > in module USER.EXE at 000c:0000107b.
                > Registers:
                > EAX=00000002 CS=176f EIP=0000107b EFLGS=00000297
                > EBX=00020000 SS=68c7 ESP=000083d6 EBP=013d83e0
                > ECX=00010e04 DS=16bf ESI=00020002 FS=6bb7
                > EDX=e3986876 ES=0000 EDI=0002d3d0 GS=0000
                > Bytes at CS:EIP:
                > 26 80 3f 5b 75 05 b8 ff ff eb 44 8b 7e 0c 66 8b
                > Stack dump:
                > d3d00000 00000000 84166876 0000112e 00020000 981c6876 00000000
                > 258b0000 8404176f d3d068c7 1f610002 1f61176f 8416176f d3d044b5
                > 00000002 00010001
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Larry
                > lrt@n... e¿ê
              • Lawrence R. Thomas
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004

                  <hugopaulissen@s...> wrote:

                  > Larry,
                  >
                  > Sorry. I sent you the link to early. I just googled to try to find
                  > quick fix for your problem, but apparently this answer was tied to
                  > specific PC-configuration.
                  >
                  > It seems as if you have a serious problem. If you could let us know
                  > which version of Windows and of IE you're using we could provide
                  more
                  > help. Maybe others on this list know how to interpret the
                  > errormessage...
                  >
                  > Hugo

                  I am running Windows 98 Second Edition
                  Version 4.10.2222 A

                  And

                  Microsoft Internet Explorer
                  Version 6.0.2800.1106

                  I think that there is one thing that should be paid attention to.
                  All of the error problems are occurring with every single program
                  that would normally launch the Dialer. The only difference is in the
                  error messages being returned by the program when it fails to detect
                  the ISP.

                  Possibly the worm changed a registry setting to its own program and
                  my cleaner failed to restore it.

                  I do have a copy of my older registry settings that I could restore
                  but I just upgraded to the last seventeen of Mocrosoft's security
                  patches and I just don't want to mess things up by restoreing old
                  registry settings that don't include them. I might even do more
                  damage than I have now if I do that.

                  Regards,

                  Larry
                  lrt@... e¿ê
                • John Zeman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 11, 2004
                    If it's any consolation to you Larry, you've got company.

                    There are two issues involving Windows 98 and dial up networking that
                    have frustrated me to no end over the years.

                    One is the problem you're having, when all of a sudden for no
                    apparent reason IE, your email program (or whatever) fails to
                    automatically connect to the internet. I have scoured every setting
                    I could think of to no avail trying to find an answer to that.
                    Finally, I just made it a policy to connect to the internet first
                    before I run any internet related programs, and I've been doing it
                    that way ever since.

                    The second problem is the "in some computers" incredibly slow
                    connection time to the internet. When one computer will dial up and
                    connect in a normal amount of time (about 20 seconds give or take)
                    while another computer will take 2 full minutes or more to connect.
                    One time I purchased two brand new identical computers from the same
                    company at the same time and set them both up identically with the
                    same software through and through. Guess what? Yup, one connects to
                    the net normally, and the other (from day one to this day) takes
                    several minutes to connect.

                    That's ok though, I got my revenge on Microsoft.

                    I took Bill Gates name off my Christmas card mailing list, that fixed
                    his little red wagon but good.

                    John
                  • Brian Binder
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                      FWIW I've backtracked with 98-XP after doing updates with no problems.
                      Since the updates are almost always file updates and not any real registry
                      updates, it's no big deal.

                      Plus, you can always install a patch over again.

                      I can always mail you the M$ fix (published my M$) for MyDoom to make sure
                      it's gone. Believe it or not, it works well from what I hear.

                      Brian

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                        I tried to follow the directions on this web page but I had some
                        problems. There is no radio button labeled "Use the following Dial-
                        up Networking Connection". There was a radio button labeled "Never
                        dial a connection" which was selected.

                        [Brian Binder] We'll want to see if we can change it to dial up your default
                        connection...

                        There were two other radio buttons which I tried labeled (1) "Dial
                        whenever a network connection is not present" and (2) "Always dial my
                        default connection". I received the same error message below for
                        both:

                        [Brian Binder] Use 'Always Dial my Default Connection' or whatever you named
                        your ISP dial-up connection.

                        The error message was:

                        Iexplore

                        This program performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

                        If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

                        [Brian Binder] Don't you just love those errors? I'll give you an illegal
                        operation you @$#! Computer! ... ok just calm down Brian...

                        Anyways, this happens when you simply change the radio button, or is it when
                        you hit OK or Apply?

                        You may want to consider going through your add / remove programs and using
                        the repair feature of IE6. When you go to uninstall/modify it, it should
                        ask you if you want to repair it and you can choose yes.

                        Then try the setting and see what happens.

                        This kind of stuff shouldn't happen. It's because IE is so intertwined with
                        Windows OSes. When IE fails, so does half the other things on your PC.
                        Stupid, huh?

                        Brian
                      • Ed
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 12, 2004
                          Does your ISP have a toll free number, if so call them and they will get you set up right away or at least most ISP's will. The two that I have used have been most helpful each time that I call them.
                          Ed