Re: [NTO] Dora

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 7, 2000
      Hi Lotta,

      > I managed to loose the mailboxes window again today. This time I
      > know what I did. I did what I think Jody did to recreate my first
      > loss of it. I dragged the window to the left to minimize it, got
      > to far out and gone it was.

      I have to laugh at that one Lotta - not at you, but I did say, do
      not drag the window out of sight or something to that effect. <g>
      Yes, that is how I made it disappear *really* "good" I mean
      really!!! Good!!! <bg> Actually, I thought it was kind of funny.
      Restoral wasn't hard at all.

      > I've used Eudora 3.8 (?) for a year or so without this happening.
      > I tend to drag that window closed a lot. My guess is this is a new
      > behavior and not a very funny one. Wasn't hard to fix, now that I
      > know how to. But never the less, nothing I want to do everyday. So
      > beware.

      Yes, it is good to know, but I like the line, "If you haven't
      laughed at yourself today, you missed a good joke." ;) You
      watch, sooner or later I'll make the same mistake again. I
      always just close the thing, because I don't use it that much. I
      did add a icon for it and just hit the X button on the window so
      it is very easy to open/close.

      I think the best thing to do is report it to Eudora.

      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
        Hi All,

        >Since many of you have switched to Eudora recently, a warning seems in place.
        >
        >I managed to loose the mailboxes window again today. This time I know what
        >I did. I did what I think Jody did to recreate my first loss of it.
        >
        >I dragged the window to the left to minimize it, got to far out and gone it
        >was.

        For future Reference (Just in case):

        The correct way to close this window is by clicking on the little "X" at the
        upper right corner of the window.

        To reopen it click on TOOLS/MAILBOXES

        If Eudora allows you to drag the window totally closed (and it doesn't
        always allow it)

        Edit the .ini file as shown below:

        [ToolBar-Bar1]
        BarID=318
        XPos=0
        YPos=0
        Docking=1
        MRUDockID=59420
        MRUDockLeftPos=0
        MRUDockTopPos=-2
        MRUDockRightPos=264
        MRUDockBottomPos=1209
        MRUFloatStyle=4
        MRUFloatXPos=-2147483648
        MRUFloatYPos=1408
        Style=268443524
        ExStyle=3889
        PrevFloating=0
        MDIChild=0
        PctWidth=1000000
        MRUFloatCX=300
        MRUFloatCY=180
        MRUHorzDockCX=300
        MRUHorzDockCY=180
        MRUVertDockCX=200 <---- this number will be 0 or in some cases even a
        negative number
        MRUVertDockCY=996 Change it to 100 or more and WALA!!
        MRUDockingState=0
        DockingStyle=61440
        TypeID=0

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
          Hello Jim,

          >The correct way to close this window is by clicking on the little "X" at the
          >upper right corner of the window.

          Oh, is that what it's for? Would that "X" have the same function in other
          applications, too?

          >Edit the .ini file as shown below:

          Tested. Doesn't alter the behavior of the mailboxes window for me. Perhaps
          it acts differently on different systems.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
            Hi Jim,

            > [ToolBar-Bar1]

            > MRUVertDockCX=200 <---- this number will be 0 or in some cases
            > even a negative number Change it to 100 or more and WALA!!

            That might depend on what configuration you have setup. I have
            15 Toolbar sections. One of the settings I posted I think has to
            do with which Toolbar section it uses. I don't know - just
            guessing. I know I only have one Toolbar configured, so the
            others must be there for a reason especially when you take them
            out and Eudora crashes because they are missing on startup. <g>

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
              At 04:28 AM 6/8/00, you wrote:
              Hello Jim,

              >The correct way to close this window is by clicking on the little "X" at the
              >upper right corner of the window.

              Oh, is that what it's for? Would that "X" have the same function in other
              applications, too?

              Ziiiinnnngggg!!! (G)

              >Edit the .ini file as shown below:

              Tested. Doesn't alter the behavior of the mailboxes window for me. Perhaps
              it acts differently on different systems.

              Lotta

              The parameter I outlined determines the width of the window on my system.
              Perhaps the toolbars get assigned by the order in which they are opened or
              some such as that.

              If so, it would be the same parameter but in a different tool bar.

              Regards,

              Jim
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
                Hi,

                Just wanted to share this wonderful experience of technical support with you:

                Hi there!
                I'm the Eudora Tech Support automated responder. Since I'm a computer, I
                can provide the fastest possible response to your question. Here's what I
                think the answer to your question is-

                ### corrupted table of contents / corrupted mailboxes ###
                If you suspect that your table of contents or mailbox has gotten corrupted,
                use the Windows instructions at
                <http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1627hq.html>. If you're on a
                Macintosh, use the instructions at
                <http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1271hq.html>.

                ### moving mailboxes files ###

                AND ON AND ON IT GOES....

                Thank you for your support of Qualcomm's Eudora Pro Software!
                -------------------------------

                No information on what to do if the computer didn't guess right. Actually
                you are only granted 90 days support, so I'm in luck that I got any at all.

                Bye,

              • Jim Hall
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
                  I sent this to the list earlier (or at least I thought I did) but never saw
                  it there.

                  At 04:28 AM 6/8/00, you wrote:

                  >Hello Jim,

                  >The correct way to close this window is by clicking on the little "X" at the
                  >upper right corner of the window.

                  >Oh, is that what it's for? Would that "X" have the same function in other
                  >applications, too?

                  Ziiiinnnngggg!!! (G) It might.

                  >Edit the .ini file as shown below:
                  >
                  >Tested. Doesn't alter the behavior of the mailboxes window for me. Perhaps
                  >it acts differently on different systems.

                  >Lotta

                  The parameter I outlined determines the width of the window on my system.
                  Perhaps the toolbars get assigned by the order in which they are opened or
                  some such as that.

                  If so, it would be the same parameter but in a different tool bar.

                  On my system:

                  [ToolBar-Bar1]
                  BarID=318

                  Is this the same for your system?

                  Regards,

                  Jim
                • Marco Bernardini
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000

                    At 14.27 Thursday 08/06/2000 +0200, Lotta the Viking Fighter send to Marco
                    this fancy message:

                    >Just wanted to share this wonderful experience of technical support with you:

                    And "ads mode" users can have just 6 of these answers every year!

                    Very big off-topic: are there Europeans loving theater?
                    I'm making a site for an International Theater Festival near here.
                    Mail me if interested: I must have the calendar next week.

                    Bye!

                    Marco Bernardini
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
                      Hi Marco,

                      > Very big off-topic:

                      Ntb-OffTopic list = NoteTab = OffTopic = Very big off-topic ;)

                      Just use G rated (as in family) content when posting please. ;->

                      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
                        Hi Lotta,

                        I hope you did not get upset with me laughing the other day about
                        the resizing of the Mailbox window. I was not laughing at you,
                        but at all people including myself. I find the stupid things we
                        *all* do very funny - especially when we keep doing them. It
                        seems it take me a few times of getting burnt to realize the fire
                        is hot. It is like a real life comedy show to me. When I saw my
                        Eudora box disappear I starting laughing and said, "Well, look at
                        that - its gone - hahahaha." Really, I do not take hardly any of
                        this computer stuff serious. It is just a bunch of electrons
                        speeding around in a bunch of silicon, solder runs, wires, fiber,
                        etc. Ask me if I care if my drive gets wiped out before I post
                        this. I need to nuke Windows shortly anyway. ;) Hope I remember
                        to backup *all* my reg password, dun, etc. stuff this time. <g>

                        There was absolutely nothing personal meant by it.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
                          Jody,

                          At 23:39 2000-06-08, you wrote:
                          >I hope you did not get upset with me laughing the other day about
                          >the resizing of the Mailbox window. I was not laughing at you,

                          Off course not. I laughed myself.
                          Actually it as good it happened. The fist time I didn't know what caused it
                          (thought it was rebooting).

                          Problem is, in 4.2 I did that a lot. I realized when I noticed the
                          automatic move I made with the mouse when it happened the second time.
                          Habits are hard to kick.

                          It's no biggie. But annoying. Have you seen any other application do that
                          trick?

                          BTW - I think the tool bars have the same unseemly behavior.

                          "Now you see me, now you don't"- Lotta
                        • Lotta
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
                            Hi Jim,

                            >I sent this to the list earlier (or at least I thought I did) but never saw
                            >it there.

                            Me neither.

                            >On my system:
                            >
                            >[ToolBar-Bar1]
                            >BarID=318
                            >

                            >Is this the same for your system?

                            Do you mean if the tool bar ID is the same? The answer is Yes.

                            If you are asking if Tool bar 1 corresponds to the mail boxes windows - I
                            don't know. I guess I can find out, but that will be another day. I've just
                            got everything working.

                            Lotta
                          • Lotta
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
                              Marco,

                              At 22:46 2000-06-08, you wrote:
                              >And "ads mode" users can have just 6 of these answers every year!

                              But that is better, I think. This was my first question, and my right to
                              talk to their machine expired long ago. Could you lend me 1, should I need it?

                              Bye,

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 8, 2000
                                Hi Lotta,

                                > Habits are hard to kick.

                                Yes, they are.

                                > It's no biggie. But annoying. Have you seen any other
                                > application do that trick?

                                hehehe, nope.

                                > BTW - I think the tool bars have the same unseemly behavior.
                                >
                                > "Now you see me, now you don't"- Lotta

                                At least it could play peek-a-boo so we could grab it real quick
                                if it came out of hiding for a moment.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 9, 2000

                                  Alle 07.35 Thursday 08/06/2000 +0200, Lotta ha mandato a Marco questo
                                  messaggio:

                                  >I dragged the window to the left to minimize it, got to far out and gone it
                                  >was.

                                  Using the "ads mode" there is *no way* to resize the left column less than
                                  the ad width, so this can be a clue: try to switch to "sponsorized", then
                                  back to "paid".

                                  I guess this can restore the mailbox window.

                                  About .ini file: I just discover the "Help - insert system configuration"
                                  makes a copy of eudora.ini in the attach folder.

                                  Another warning: clicking on the address book tab you see at the bottom the
                                  buttons "New", "Del" and ">>".
                                  If you click the ">>" the "addresses/notes" windows replace the nicknames
                                  list: to have it back again you must drag the vertical bar on the left to
                                  the right.

                                  Hope this solves a future problem :-)

                                  Who has 2 or more monitors can drag mailboxes, address book and other tabs
                                  on the secondary monitor, I suppose, just like on a Mac (using multiple
                                  monitors this since 1986, when I must use SideKick to have a handy
                                  calculator on DOS screen ...)

                                  Bye!

                                  Marco Bernardini