Re: [NTO] ASCII vs. ANSI

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2000
      Hi DA,

      > Check this site and maybe things will become clearer.
      >
      > http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/A/ANSI_Character_Set.html

      Yes, I use it often. I guess I know what they are, but I need
      to know when I am looking at the two and how do I make a file
      for both. I need to do some testing in NoteTab to see how the
      DOS ASCII is being displayed.

      In particular: ASCII 850 and ANSI (ISO 8859-1)

      How would I know I was looking at one or the other?
      How would I make a file with both?
      Do I need a font that is an ASCII font?
      Is there such a thing?
      Can I see the difference in NoteTab if I add the file
      type to the DOS ASCII filter?

      Thanks!
      Jody

      Clean-Funnies: click and send...
      mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2000
        Hi All,

        I misread what Eric wrote me and read it backwards. NoteTab does
        the conversion when the file type is in the file filter with the
        word ASCII in it. I was expecting *no conversion*.

        Eric wrote:

        "When a file is opened through the File Open dialog box, with an
        _active_ filter name containing the word ASCII, then NoteTab will
        understand that the text is in ASCII format. NoteTab will then
        automatically convert the characters to the matching ANSI
        characters whenever possible (some ASCII characters don't have
        any equivalent ANSI ones and are therefore converted to a blank
        character). When such a file is edited and saved, NoteTab will
        convert the ANSI characters back to ASCII in the disk file.

        Once a file has been opened with the ASCII filter, NoteTab
        remembers this through its file properties feature (NoteTab.fpr
        or NotePro.fpr). Therefore, opening the file again from the
        Reopen list or Favorites will correctly convert the file between
        ASCII/ANSI as long as it is listed in file properties. To cancel
        the conversion effect, just reopen the file through the File Open
        dialog box with an _active_ filter that does not contain ASCII in
        its description."

        In other words, I made a file in DOS Edit (Shell) giving it a name
        and extension with the following.

        Test this file out made in DOS EDIT.

        This is Alt+179 = ³ <-- Superscript 3
        This is Alt+0179 = ³ <-- Superscript 3

        Except the superscript ³ was a vertical bar in the DOS shell. I
        added the extension to NoteTab's File Filters under the DOS ASCII
        (File Types). I do not see my vertical bar when opening, but
        instead the suprscript³. It seems that is correct, that NoteTab
        is doing what it is suppose to.

        > In particular: ASCII 850 and ANSI (ISO 8859-1)

        OK, so how can I test ASCII 850 out to see if it works correctly?

        Thanks!
        Jody

        Clean-Funnies: click and send...
        mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
      • DA
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2000
          Hi Jody,

          I think you already have tested ASCII 850. 850 is one of the
          code pages used to internationalize PC's by changing the
          character set used. For the US it is 850 so your computer is
          probably already using 850.

          Canadian-French is 863, Czechoslovakia and Poland are 852, etc.
          I had to dust off some old DOS references to look these up.

          There is a "default code page" and an "alternate code page" and
          in all cases that I know of, 850 is either the default or the
          alternate. (Convenient for those of us in the US.)

          I don't know of the relationship of 850 to ANSI(ISO 8859-1) are
          they supposed to be equivalent?

          DA

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2000
            Hi DA,

            > I think you already have tested ASCII 850. 850 is one of the
            > code pages used to internationalize PC's by changing the
            > character set used. For the US it is 850 so your computer is
            > probably already using 850.

            Thanks!!!

            > I don't know of the relationship of 850 to ANSI(ISO 8859-1) are
            > they supposed to be equivalent?

            No, only in the sense that it was reported that NoteTab is
            displaying the text in ANSI(ISO 8859-1) instead of ASCII 850. I
            cannot duplicate it though. I needed to know what I was looking
            at though in order to know if I was checking it correctly.
            Thanks again!

            mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...