Re: [NTO] ASCII vs. ANSI

  • DA
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2000
      Hi Jody,

      ASCII is a subset of ANSI. Both define codes to represent
      characters and control codes such as line feed, carriage return,
      null, tab, etc. But the ANSI set is larger. ASCII uses 7 bits
      and ANSI uses 8 bits, so there are about twice as many ANSI
      codes.

      Check this site and maybe things will become clearer.

      http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/A/ANSI_Character_Set.html

      I find this site useful for finding answers regarding standards,
      definitions, etc.

      DA

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2000
        Hi DA,

        > Check this site and maybe things will become clearer.
        >
        > http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/A/ANSI_Character_Set.html

        Yes, I use it often. I guess I know what they are, but I need
        to know when I am looking at the two and how do I make a file
        for both. I need to do some testing in NoteTab to see how the
        DOS ASCII is being displayed.

        In particular: ASCII 850 and ANSI (ISO 8859-1)

        How would I know I was looking at one or the other?
        How would I make a file with both?
        Do I need a font that is an ASCII font?
        Is there such a thing?
        Can I see the difference in NoteTab if I add the file
        type to the DOS ASCII filter?

        Thanks!
        Jody

        Clean-Funnies: click and send...
        mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2000
          Hi All,

          I misread what Eric wrote me and read it backwards. NoteTab does
          the conversion when the file type is in the file filter with the
          word ASCII in it. I was expecting *no conversion*.

          Eric wrote:

          "When a file is opened through the File Open dialog box, with an
          _active_ filter name containing the word ASCII, then NoteTab will
          understand that the text is in ASCII format. NoteTab will then
          automatically convert the characters to the matching ANSI
          characters whenever possible (some ASCII characters don't have
          any equivalent ANSI ones and are therefore converted to a blank
          character). When such a file is edited and saved, NoteTab will
          convert the ANSI characters back to ASCII in the disk file.

          Once a file has been opened with the ASCII filter, NoteTab
          remembers this through its file properties feature (NoteTab.fpr
          or NotePro.fpr). Therefore, opening the file again from the
          Reopen list or Favorites will correctly convert the file between
          ASCII/ANSI as long as it is listed in file properties. To cancel
          the conversion effect, just reopen the file through the File Open
          dialog box with an _active_ filter that does not contain ASCII in
          its description."

          In other words, I made a file in DOS Edit (Shell) giving it a name
          and extension with the following.

          Test this file out made in DOS EDIT.

          This is Alt+179 = ³ <-- Superscript 3
          This is Alt+0179 = ³ <-- Superscript 3

          Except the superscript ³ was a vertical bar in the DOS shell. I
          added the extension to NoteTab's File Filters under the DOS ASCII
          (File Types). I do not see my vertical bar when opening, but
          instead the suprscript³. It seems that is correct, that NoteTab
          is doing what it is suppose to.

          > In particular: ASCII 850 and ANSI (ISO 8859-1)

          OK, so how can I test ASCII 850 out to see if it works correctly?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2000
            Hi Jody,

            I think you already have tested ASCII 850. 850 is one of the
            code pages used to internationalize PC's by changing the
            character set used. For the US it is 850 so your computer is
            probably already using 850.

            Canadian-French is 863, Czechoslovakia and Poland are 852, etc.
            I had to dust off some old DOS references to look these up.

            There is a "default code page" and an "alternate code page" and
            in all cases that I know of, 850 is either the default or the
            alternate. (Convenient for those of us in the US.)

            I don't know of the relationship of 850 to ANSI(ISO 8859-1) are
            they supposed to be equivalent?

            DA

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 8, 2000
              Hi DA,

              > I think you already have tested ASCII 850. 850 is one of the
              > code pages used to internationalize PC's by changing the
              > character set used. For the US it is 850 so your computer is
              > probably already using 850.

              Thanks!!!

              > I don't know of the relationship of 850 to ANSI(ISO 8859-1) are
              > they supposed to be equivalent?

              No, only in the sense that it was reported that NoteTab is
              displaying the text in ANSI(ISO 8859-1) instead of ASCII 850. I
              cannot duplicate it though. I needed to know what I was looking
              at though in order to know if I was checking it correctly.
              Thanks again!

              mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...