Upgrades - was ([NH] Upgrade Registered Copy of Notetab)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2004
      Jody: > FWIW, I think you will find in the long run it is best to make
      > your own Libraries (copies of NoteTab's if that be the case).
      > Check the new versions out a bit so that you do not miss any
      > updates

      When I upgrade a program to next version, especially one like Notetab that
      has a lot of associated bits and pieces I make a copy of the Program Files
      folder in C:\Temp, install on top of the existing Program Files folder, run
      the program once to make sure any setup type stuff gets done:

      .... then run SynchronizeIt to compare the two folders.
      Any differences it finds in text type files are spotted and you can invoke
      CompareIt from within SynchronizeIt to check anything interesting.

      Obvious candidates are new versions of readme files or for Notetab any clip
      libraries etc that have changed. The pro version of CompareIt (for the first
      30 days or until you pay for it) provides built-in facility to selectively
      merge changes. Even without it, you can spot the changes and do them
      manually if needed.

      Both SynchronizeIt and CompareIt are available at: http://www.grigsoft.com/

      Also worth getting is HTML-diff at:
      http://www.componentsoftware.com/products/HTMLDiff/index.htm
      for applications that provide help etc in HTML format.

      Last one, since I'm on a roll :-)
      WebSite-Watcher http://aignes.com/index.htm
      I've loaded it with ALL programs I have installed and some I'm considering
      getting. Most sites have some kind of change.log page - point to that and
      get immediate notification any time a new version comes out. You may not
      want to get them immediately but at least you'll know they exist!

      Regards ... Alec