RE: [NTO] Carriage Return and Enter: Are these duplicate Keys?

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2004
      Hi Jeff,

      > The programmers who setup applications can program the keys within a
      > program to perform different functions tan they would in a word
      > Processor, or a (exampl) Music program.

      Bearing in mind that this discussion was for talking to computer newbies,
      can you quote me an example popular Music program where this occurs and what
      the different actions are that the keyboard does.

      For example I would suggest (though I accept that there are limitations with
      this) that the equivalent of the Carriage Return in NOTEPAD is WORD's
      shift-CR and not CR. by itself. That inserts a paragraph end rather than a
      line end.

      Greg
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2004
        I have had a music writing program where the keyboard actually input
        to a music sheet the various symbols and notes for composing sheet
        music, I no longer have that program, but any application can have the
        key input specified differently from the 108 keyboard standard map.

        Lookin your computer for Charmap, it shows you all the different fonts
        in your computer and allows you to copy/paste from different fonts too
        a document, each different font is a new "map" for the keys to perform.
        --

        ~~~
        Jeff Scism, IBSSG

        http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
        http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/

        All outgoing mail scanned for viruses.

        Genealogy, the science of haunting the dead.
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2004
          Hi Jeff,

          > Lookin your computer for Charmap, it shows you all the different fonts
          > in your computer and allows you to copy/paste from different fonts too
          > a document, each different font is a new "map" for the keys to perform.

          But charmap doesn't show keys like CR, ENTER, RIGHTSHIFT or LEFTSHIFT. It's
          examples of the use of those keys for variation in "standard" behaviour for
          which I am looking. I know that various games can use those for "non-word
          processing" kinds of tasks. I am looking for further examples. Thanks for
          your thoughts though!

          Greg
        • R Shapp
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 8, 2004
            Hi Greg,

            The Divx video player version 2.5 ( www.divx.com ) says the Alt+Enter combo
            will cause a playing video clip to run in full screen mode. It actually does
            that only if one uses the Enter key on the alpha part of the keyboard. The
            Divx player doesn't respond at all to Alt+Enter if one uses the Enter key on
            the numeric keypad. It doesn't matter which Alt key is used.

            My environment is a Dell 4500 Pentium IV running WinXP Home SP1, and the
            keyboard is Dell's branded "Enhanced Multimedia keyboard". The keys are
            programmable, but I am using all factory defaults.

            As for other similarly labeled keys that perform dissimilar functions, I seem
            to remember the Shift keys at left and right of the keyboard had opposite
            functions when running one of the very early versions of the MS Flight
            Simulator. I don't remember the details, but my vague recollection is that
            the Shift keys reverted to similar operation when Flight Simulator was
            operated using a joystick.

            HTH

            Ray Shapp
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 8, 2004
              Greg,

              I support, train, and install accounting and payroll software and the
              "Numeric Enter" as we call it works as a tab to simplify moving through data
              entry fields, but when the focus is on a button or other control, it
              activates it like they pressed the "regular" enter key. This is helpful for
              an accounting package.

              I know of some company's offerings that require you to type in a number and
              then grab the mouse to get to the next field. This is not a good way to do
              an interface for an accounting package.

              Related to other key combinations: Due to a quirk in the programming
              lanquage our product is written in, CTRL+C and CTRL+V do not work for copy
              and paste, one has to use the older CTRL+INS and SHIFT+INS. If the
              programmers had time, I am sure they could figure out how to change this,
              but there is always something more crucial.

              Larry Hamilton
            • Jim Hall
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 9, 2004
                When Eudora downloads an email file, it remembers that it has and doesn't re-download it (even after it has been totally deleted from Eudora) if it is still on the mail server.

                Does anyone know the file that this info is saved in or how to make it re-download an email file?

                TIA

                Jim
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 9, 2004
                  Hi Jim,

                  Press the Shift key down when doing the mail check for options. I
                  don't know if that will help or not, never tried it for you
                  particular use.

                  >When Eudora downloads an email file, it remembers that it has and
                  >doesn't re-download it (even after it has been totally deleted
                  >from Eudora) if it is still on the mail server.
                  >
                  >Does anyone know the file that this info is saved in or how to
                  >make it re-download an email file?

                  All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 9, 2004
                    Jody et al,

                    I thought I would write this up for anyone who wants to archive it.

                    If you have deleted an email from Eudora but not from your mail server, you can re-download it using a slightly involved 2 step approach.

                    First step is to press the Shift key down when doing the mail check. This will give you a download options dialog box which allows you to select the account and determine how the download is to work.

                    After selecting the account to check and selecting the "Using Options at Left" radio button check the "Fetch all message headers to In mailbox" check box and pick OK.

                    This will download all message headers (not the entire message) on the mail server for that account and put them in the In box.

                    Now you must fully open the Header that you want to download by double clicking on the Header. Viewing in the preview pane will not work.

                    When the header has been fully opened in the viewing pane, there will be a toggle button on the toolbar for "Retrieve From Server". Set the "Retrieve From Server" button to the depressed mode and then do a regular check mail and this time the entire email will be downloaded.

                    It isn't straight forward but it gets the job done.

                    Regards,

                    Jim
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 9, 2004
                      Hi Jim,

                      So, in short, my hunch worked for you? :)

                      >If you have deleted an email from Eudora but not from your mail
                      >server, you can re-download it using a slightly involved 2 step
                      >approach.

                      You must have "Leave mail on server checked." Note: You do want
                      to put the amount of days less you meet your mailbox quota for
                      the amount of disk space used. In most cases, I'd say 7 days is
                      plenty.

                      All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                    • Christine
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 9, 2004
                        It's a shame there aren't any old (age- and experience-wise) legal
                        secretaries here.
                        Most lived on Word Perfect DOS forever and could keyboard so well it would
                        embarrass the manufacturers. My point is that this question could probably
                        properly be answered by one of these women, who don't know their own
                        talents.

                        When I used to train them on Word, I'd have to unplug their mouse and say,
                        "OK. Now all your keyboard commands will work." It's the "kids" who can't
                        keyboard who are programming these days. Much of this skill is being lost,
                        because the programmers don't know it themselves.

                        Just an observation.
                        Christine
                      • Mike Hopkins
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 9, 2004
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 9, 2004
                            Maybe we should start yet another new NoteTab forum for us
                            greybeards! LOL

                            Just kidding, but I can certainly relate to what Christine and Mike
                            say. I've been computin' since the early 70s, had my first schooling
                            in them in 1970 while I was in the navy. The only worthwhile thing I
                            really got from that navy school was a working knowledge of binary
                            and hex numbering which still serves me to this day.

                            The more complex things tend to get, the more the basic fundamentals
                            save me.

                            John
                            (Who is not only off topic here, but as usual, off his greybearded
                            rocker too)

                            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Hopkins" <ironmike@i...>