Re: [NTO] USB port / connection

  • Robert Romberger
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2004
      On 5 Jan 2004 at 19:23, Mordechai wrote:

      > only the file-name of the drivers). Two are in use with a mouse and DSL
      > modem. If it is a software / drivers question - where can I find / download
      > such drivers? Your answers will be appreciated, Thanks and Happy new year.

      USB version 2 is part hardware (the data pump chips) and part software
      driver (updates to the latest version 2 drivers may be necessary if you
      have version 2 hardware, the drivers change occassionally). As was
      mentioned, if you have a computer that is older than a couple of years you
      probably have version 1 USB ports. Newer computers usually come with USB 2
      ports, though you would have to double check the hardware specs. That
      said...

      USB 2 devices will work with USB 1 ports. They might run a bit sluggish,
      but they should work. USB 1 devices will work fine on USB 2 ports, the
      device will be no faster than it would have been on a USB 1 port. You
      mentioned that you have a number of devices already attached to your
      computer and need more ports. There are two ways to go about it. 1) get a
      new USB port card (might as well go for the version 2 ports here), or 2)
      get a USB hub. The USB hub might be the easiest way to expand your ports
      since it doesn't require any additional tools to install it. The hub also
      helps eliminate the "fan out" problem of having too many devices attached
      to the existing USB port - the hub has its own power source. Either way,
      you will probably be getting USB 2 hardware.

      USB cables are coming out that say they are USB 2 compatible (and you pay
      extra for it), but I have not seen any difference between USB 1 and USB 2
      cables besides the price tag. A good cable is still a good cable.

      --
      Robert

      Thought for the day: It's kind of fun to do the impossible. Walt Disney