Re: [NTO] powertoys

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2004
      Dennis Cummins wrote:

      > On Tuesday, January 06, 2004 at 9:47, hsavage wrote:
      >
      >> I'm troubleshooting and trying to tweak my sons Win2k computer, I
      need, if
      >> any of the list members can furnish it, a link to MS Powertoys for
      Win 2000
      >> Pro.
      >>
      >> I've tried to search for them on Windows download site with no
      success. I
      >> thank you for any response.
      >>

      > Why wouldn't these powertoys for XP work?
      > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

      Dennis,

      I'm not sure these wouldn't work. The fact that tweakui is modified for
      XP makes me hesitant.

      I would be more comfortable if the page header included Win2k.

      hrs
    • Dennis Cummins
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2004
        On Tuesday, January 06, 2004 at 10:47, hsavage wrote:

        > Dennis Cummins wrote:
        >

        > > On Tuesday, January 06, 2004 at 9:47, hsavage wrote:
        > >
        > >> I'm troubleshooting and trying to tweak my sons Win2k computer, I need,
        > if
        > >> any of the list members can furnish it, a link to MS Powertoys for Win
        > 2000
        > >> Pro.
        > >>
        > >> I've tried to search for them on Windows download site with no
        > success. I
        > >> thank you for any response.
        > >>

        > > Why wouldn't these powertoys for XP work?
        > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
        >
        > Dennis,
        >
        > I'm not sure these wouldn't work. The fact that tweakui is modified for XP
        > makes me hesitant.
        >
        > I would be more comfortable if the page header included Win2k.

        Well then have a look at this,

        http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networkin
        g/NTTweakUI.asp

        --
        Dennis
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2004
          Dennis Cummins wrote:

          >On Tuesday, January 06, 2004 at 10:47, hsavage wrote:
          >

          >>Dennis Cummins wrote:
          >>
          >> > Why wouldn't these powertoys for XP work?
          >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
          >>
          >>Dennis,
          >>
          >>I'm not sure these wouldn't work. The fact that tweakui is modified for XP
          >>makes me hesitant.
          >>
          >>I would be more comfortable if the page header included Win2k.
          >>

          >Well then have a look at this,
          >
          >http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networkin
          >g/NTTweakUI.asp

          Dennis,

          I will have a look as soon as my ISP settles down. Seems I only have
          email service and that is extremely slow!

          hrs
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2004
            Hi hrs,

            > I've tried to search for them on Windows download site with no success.
            > I thank you for any response.

            I've never got on with Microsoft's search facilities, so I use Google.

            Enter the required search terms together with "site:support.microsoft.com"
            (without the quotes).

            This forces Google's search to be restricted to the given host. It's almost
            always taken me to just what I needed!

            Greg
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2004
              hsavage:

              According to my records, the URL Dennis quoted is where I got the PowerTools
              I'm using on Win2K-SP4. Just checked and they are all still there :-)

              POWER TOYS http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/default.asp

              NETWORKING

              Desktop Menu
              3 KB | <1 Min @ 28.8
              Open items on your desktop from a convenient menu on the Taskbar.

              Explore From Here
              625 KB | 5 Min @ 28.8
              Open the explorer from where you are on the network or on your own
              computer's file system.

              Find X 1.2
              1,479 KB | 12 Min @ 28.8
              Adds drag-and-drop capabilities to your Find menu.

              Send to X 1.2
              2,328 KB | 19 Min @ 28.8
              An updated version of Send To Any Folder

              Tweak UI 1.33
              64 KB | 1 Min @ 28.8
              With the Tweak UI 1.1 update you can adjust your Windows user interface by
              customizing your menu speed, window animation, and Internet Explorer.

              Shortcut Target Menu 1.2
              1,911 KB | 16 Min @ 28.8
              With the Shortcut Target Menu you can find out the properties for the file
              to which a shortcut is pointing.

              Regards ... Alec