NoteTab on Linux - Re: [NTO] OpenOffice Beginner

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2004
      Fay,

      I dual boot Windows XP Home and Red Hat 7.2. There is a free utility called
      WINE that mimics a Windows environment and allows Windows programs to run.

      I went back to my MailBag archives of the Clips list, from January 14, 2003,
      and found the last post I made on this subject. I thought I made a post on
      this to the NTO list, but maybe I did not, or I lost the post....

      *************
      Message 1:
      I got NoteTab Pro working under RedHat Linux 7.2 with Wine. I found a link
      that made it all very clear how to make a Windows program work under Linux.

      Here is one link, but is not the one I am thinking of. I got it working and
      meant to put something together, but there is always something going on.

      http://www.la-sorciere.de/Wine-HOWTO/ch-runapps.html

      Found it! Here is the link that made it all come together for me. It has how
      to make sure Wine is working and how to make a Windows exe work.

      http://wine.dataparty.no/install.html

      I have to switch to my Unix partition to find my notes. I thought I had
      saved them off to my Windows partition.

      I will find my notes and post more.

      ***************

      Message 2:
      Here is a follow up to my previous email. Further comments will be on the
      Off-Topic List.

      Once you get wine installed, use these steps to actually execute the
      program:

      cd to wine directory
      cd to NoteTab directory (I named the directory NoteTab, remember Unix/Linux
      is case sensitive.)
      winelauncher Notepro.exe (this is the command line to make it work.)

      None of the above is hard, but it took me a while to find the winelauncher
      part.
      **************

      HTH,

      Larry Hamilton

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
        I know there is a lot of interest of using NoteTab on Linux, here are
        some notes I took of a little journey this evening. I hit a few rough
        patches, mostly of my own creation. These are rough notes, I have my
        process and notes, ahas, and results. There are a few things that
        appear not to work, but is most likely due to the older version of Red
        Hat Linux (7.2) and WINE that is over a year old.

        I hope this is useful. If I have time (Ha!) I will play some more and
        share the results. This is more fun than the work I should have
        brought home. ;-)

        NOTE: I built a clip with the ^!URL command to launch Yahoo Groups in
        Linux to write this message online. (cool!)

        Below is the text of what I intended to be a web page to post online,
        but did not have time to dig into doing it that way....

        Test Page Done by NoteTab In RedHat Linux 7.2

        When first starting NoteTab via WINE it is quite slow, but if you exit
        and re-start NoteTab, it is blazing fast. Since Linux does not have a
        problem being running all the time, this is a bonus.

        It runs clips ok, but the text portion of the editor shows a blinking
        cursor about 20 to 50 spaces over from where it really is. This makes
        it hard to judge where to insert if needed. I just used the HTML clip
        to make this quick page. I only have NotePro 4.91, so I do not know if
        4.95 would be any better.

        The spell check feature works. Some clip libraries with leading
        underscores do not seem to want to work. Leading ! is fine. Those with
        spaces in the name have a problem and will not start. Also those with
        underscores in the middle of the clip library name do not work. Those
        with leading numbers do work. Highlighting words does odd things, if
        only part of the word is highlighted, the non-highlighted parts appear
        to have spaces added where the highlight ends. It will not launch the
        default browser, not sure yet how to get around this.

        Good News! - I figured it out! I first off did not have a browser set
        up in the INI! duh! Go to View -> Options click the Internet Tab, and
        enter the path to the desired web browser, for example, I used
        "Z:\usr\local\mozilla\mozilla." without the quotes. Since WINE mimics
        the Windows environment, it uses a drive letter within NoteTab, but
        the drive gets assigned by WINE, I believe.
        The only problem I have seen is that Mozilla/Linux does not know how
        to handle viewing the files open in NoteTab, due to the drive letter
        and colon sent by WINE. The good news is that the ^!URL command can
        launch a web site. I imagine that any other browser in Linux would
        work too. Part of the problem, I discovered is that the real path of
        the file is: "file:///home/larry/wine/linux_notetab_test.htm", this is
        what was sent to Mozilla: "file:///Y|/wine/linux_notetab_test.htm". I
        have not tried tweaking Browsers.dat, since it will not let Mozilla
        open two instances of the same user. I know it can open multiple tabs,
        just need to figure out the settings.

        Based on the Mozilla experience, one should be able to get NoteTab to
        launch just about any program. Since it interfaces nicely with Perl, I
        am curious to see if this will work. I did try to send email, but no
        way to tell it the default email client to use off the menu, perhaps
        with a clip and the ^!Email command? Lots of interesting possibilities....

        I forgot to mention earlier that the HTML syntax highlighting works.

        I have NotePad in a Wine directory under my user name with the NoteTab
        directory sturcture.

        NotePro looks weird when maximized, the editor window is small and has
        about 2 inches of blank gray to the right and bottom, and I cannot
        drag to change the size of the Clip Assistant or ClipBook.
        The pasteboard feature highlights the tab, but does not paste in the
        copied items. I changed the size of the font and the odd "feature" of
        the cursor being too far to the right of its actual position vanished.
        I Changed it to Courier 12 Regular. WINE has built-in support for a
        limited number of fonts.
        I also figured this out. I copied in something from another location,
        Linux, at least RH 7.2 does not do a directory copy in GUI like
        Windows, it replaces the directory and contents, rather than just add
        new stuff and ask about duplicates. I blew away the clip libraries and
        clipbars. I had to kill the process, but surprisingly is save the INI
        settings! Must be another Linux difference.

        One problem is that I cannot get NoteTab to exit. Not sure what to do
        about that. I also cannot view the chm style help files. It did offer
        to download the hlp sytle help. Not sure yet if it will work. I read
        somewhere that Linux supports chm files, but I have not found what to
        do to make it work.

        I was able to create a new OTL file, but could not add anything to it.
        It must have something to do with the support of Windows controls in
        WINE. (Wrong again, it was the fact that I overwrote my clipbars, and
        it flaked out NotePro. Whe I cam back in I could create and add topics
        to the OTL. The first one did not save. The links work and the
        brackets highlight!!) The version of WINE I have is from October 31,
        2002, so it has undergone a lot of improvement since. I will try
        updating my version of WINE and see if that helps. I did get it to
        paste when I clicked the clipboard paste icon on the toolbar.

        I just discovered that my NoteTab commandline creation clip will
        launch another instance of NoteTab within WINE! Cool!

        I had not done much with NoteTab in Linux until now, but am very
        pleased with the results so far. I think with a newer version of Linux
        and WINE, there will be much better results, but I do not have time to
        do that anytime soon. I find myself in a familiar position, I check
        into a neat new gizmo and lose track of the time.... Well Off to bed!

        Larry Hamilton