Re: [NTO] OpenOffice Beginner

  • bizshop1
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
      I am also hanging on to Windows for one reason and one reason only -
      Notetab.

      If someone can successfully use it in Linux, PULEEZE let us all know
      how you did it!!! I'll switch in a gnat's heartbeat.

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...>
      wrote:
      > Fay,
      >
      > Been our of town on vacation.....
      >
      > Glad to help. What I like best about Open Office is that it is the
      same
      > program in all Operating Systems it has been ported to. One can
      stay with
      > Windows if that is what they prefer, or can get more ambitious and
      try Linux
      > or any other free OS.
      >
      > NoteTab is one program that is keeping my foot in the Windows
      world. I'm too
      > lazy, er, busy to learn how to do what I do with all the Clips
      I've built
      > and accumulated over that last 5 1/2 years.
      >
      > My wife is also too limited in her view of using computers and it
      is hard
      > enough to help her when MS changes the look and feel of Windows.
      However, I
      > think the most recent changes to Linux desktop packages may be
      what she and
      > other Windows users need to be more comfortable in making the
      switch.

      > If the price was not so high, more users might opt to use one of
      the options
      > for running Windows in Linux or Unix. From what I read it is fast
      and never
      > crashes. I have gotten NoteTab to run in Linux. I think I need a
      newer
      > version of Linux to make it more stable. I have not had time to
      play like I
      > would prefer. ;-)
      >
      > I also like how Open Office supports saving documents straight to
      PDF. If
      > does not give a lot of formatting options, at least in the
      presentation
      > package, but it is fast. I have not had time to work with the word
      > processing to see how it works, but that is a big step forward. It
      would
      > save needing two or three programs for those that want to generate
      PDFs for
      > free.
      >
      > Larry
      >
      > Fay wrote:
      > > Larry
      > >
      > > Thank you for your encouragement.
      > >
      > >> If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I
      am
      > >> sure we would go to Open Office.
      > >
      > > Indeed. Also, people buying a new pc are more or less told they
      must
      > > buy the latest MS OS or go without. Then they find that, without
      > > installing at least one MS Office program, they have no spell
      check
      > > in Outlook Express. And so on. Ah well, once you had to have a
      black
      > > Ford or no motor car.
      > >
      > > It's hard going straight to Linux because everything is
      unfamiliar.
      > > If I have one suite of programs with which I feel at home I'll do
      > > better.
    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
        Steve,

        It is not smooth in my version of RedHat (7.2). Redhat is up to 9.x, but
        they are discontinuing support for it in April. I have not tried it for
        awhile. I will get into my Linux partition and see what the issues are.

        Larry

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
          > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
          beginners
          > with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics? I'm only
          concerned about
          > the word processor at this stage. I did Google, but haven't found

          http://gmane.org/lists.php

          gmane.org their lists page, scroll down just a little ways and there's

          gmane.comp.openoffice.questions

          that particular url/link I enclosed above, the links on its page is
          designed to bring up a default NNTP news client when clicked on.

          But they may also have a www web interface as an alternative to using
          an NNTP news client app.

          I used to subscribe to some their groups using NNTP client (Mozilla).

          I need to get my 'puter set up again for that and re initiate or
          begin again with it.

          --
          Alan.
        • acummingsus
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
            > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
            beginners
            > with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics?

            http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.comp.openoffice

            http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions/cutoff=54260

            Web interface of . . .comp.openoffice

            and

            . . .comp.openoffice.questions

            --
            Alan.
          • Manuel123
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
              How can I write polaco with windows XP. Thanks in advanced.
              I use a spanish windows xp.

              ---
              Annotatio:
              "Para un pc vale 1 programa y para otros no. Cada persona es un mundo, cada pc es otro."
              ---
              Caso de devolución repetidas de respuestas enviar un mensaje de aviso a <incidencias@...>