Re: [NTO] OpenOffice Beginner

  • Fay
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
      Hi Larry,
      Mmm. I've been away too--in the garden. Thanks for your informative post,
      the most interesting part of which is
      >I have gotten NoteTab to run in Linux.
      How, please?

      Fay
    • bizshop1
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
        I am also hanging on to Windows for one reason and one reason only -
        Notetab.

        If someone can successfully use it in Linux, PULEEZE let us all know
        how you did it!!! I'll switch in a gnat's heartbeat.

        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...>
        wrote:
        > Fay,
        >
        > Been our of town on vacation.....
        >
        > Glad to help. What I like best about Open Office is that it is the
        same
        > program in all Operating Systems it has been ported to. One can
        stay with
        > Windows if that is what they prefer, or can get more ambitious and
        try Linux
        > or any other free OS.
        >
        > NoteTab is one program that is keeping my foot in the Windows
        world. I'm too
        > lazy, er, busy to learn how to do what I do with all the Clips
        I've built
        > and accumulated over that last 5 1/2 years.
        >
        > My wife is also too limited in her view of using computers and it
        is hard
        > enough to help her when MS changes the look and feel of Windows.
        However, I
        > think the most recent changes to Linux desktop packages may be
        what she and
        > other Windows users need to be more comfortable in making the
        switch.

        > If the price was not so high, more users might opt to use one of
        the options
        > for running Windows in Linux or Unix. From what I read it is fast
        and never
        > crashes. I have gotten NoteTab to run in Linux. I think I need a
        newer
        > version of Linux to make it more stable. I have not had time to
        play like I
        > would prefer. ;-)
        >
        > I also like how Open Office supports saving documents straight to
        PDF. If
        > does not give a lot of formatting options, at least in the
        presentation
        > package, but it is fast. I have not had time to work with the word
        > processing to see how it works, but that is a big step forward. It
        would
        > save needing two or three programs for those that want to generate
        PDFs for
        > free.
        >
        > Larry
        >
        > Fay wrote:
        > > Larry
        > >
        > > Thank you for your encouragement.
        > >
        > >> If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I
        am
        > >> sure we would go to Open Office.
        > >
        > > Indeed. Also, people buying a new pc are more or less told they
        must
        > > buy the latest MS OS or go without. Then they find that, without
        > > installing at least one MS Office program, they have no spell
        check
        > > in Outlook Express. And so on. Ah well, once you had to have a
        black
        > > Ford or no motor car.
        > >
        > > It's hard going straight to Linux because everything is
        unfamiliar.
        > > If I have one suite of programs with which I feel at home I'll do
        > > better.
      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
          Steve,

          It is not smooth in my version of RedHat (7.2). Redhat is up to 9.x, but
          they are discontinuing support for it in April. I have not tried it for
          awhile. I will get into my Linux partition and see what the issues are.

          Larry

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
            > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
            beginners
            > with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics? I'm only
            concerned about
            > the word processor at this stage. I did Google, but haven't found

            http://gmane.org/lists.php

            gmane.org their lists page, scroll down just a little ways and there's

            gmane.comp.openoffice.questions

            that particular url/link I enclosed above, the links on its page is
            designed to bring up a default NNTP news client when clicked on.

            But they may also have a www web interface as an alternative to using
            an NNTP news client app.

            I used to subscribe to some their groups using NNTP client (Mozilla).

            I need to get my 'puter set up again for that and re initiate or
            begin again with it.

            --
            Alan.
          • acummingsus
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
              > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
              beginners
              > with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics?

              http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.comp.openoffice

              http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions/cutoff=54260

              Web interface of . . .comp.openoffice

              and

              . . .comp.openoffice.questions

              --
              Alan.
            • Manuel123
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                How can I write polaco with windows XP. Thanks in advanced.
                I use a spanish windows xp.

                ---
                Annotatio:
                "Para un pc vale 1 programa y para otros no. Cada persona es un mundo, cada pc es otro."
                ---
                Caso de devolución repetidas de respuestas enviar un mensaje de aviso a <incidencias@...>