USB port / connection

  • Mordechai
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
      Hello Friends,
      More and more periferals are connected to PC's with a USB connector.
      Some need USB version 1 and others work with version 2, mainly I am interested to connect a scanner and a printer.
      I would like to know what is the difference between 1 and 2, is it physical (shape or size) or software / drivers ?
      How can I determine which are installed on my PC - powered with Windows XP Pro.
      (There are 4 such ports - in the control panel I could find only the file-name of the drivers).
      Two are in use with a mouse and DSL modem.
      If it is a software / drivers question - where can I find / download such drivers?
      Your answers will be appreciated,
      Thanks and Happy new year.
      Mordechai M.
      airflow@...

    • Jason Wellband
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2004
        Mordechai,

        USB 2 ports are faster than USB 1 (1.2??) ports. Version 2 is backwards
        compatible with 1 so you can plug a USB 1 device into a version 2 port.
        I don't know this for a fact, but I assume you could plug a USB 2 device
        into a USB 1 port and it'd just go slower.. But I might be wrong on
        that.

        It's doubtful you'd have a combination of ports on your system. Unless
        your system is less than a couple of years old, I doubt you have USB 2
        ports. Check your system specs from the manufacturer and they should
        tell you. If you don't have USB 2, you can install an add-in card to
        give you USB 2 ports.

        Have I said USB enough? <grin>

        Hth

        Jason

        : From: Mordechai [mailto:airflow@...]
        :
        :
        : Hello Friends,
        : More and more periferals are connected to PC's with a USB connector.
        : Some need USB version 1 and others work with version 2,
        : mainly I am interested to connect a scanner and a printer.
        : I would like to know what is the difference between 1 and 2,
        : is it physical (shape or size) or software / drivers ?
      • Robert Romberger
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2004
          On 5 Jan 2004 at 19:23, Mordechai wrote:

          > only the file-name of the drivers). Two are in use with a mouse and DSL
          > modem. If it is a software / drivers question - where can I find / download
          > such drivers? Your answers will be appreciated, Thanks and Happy new year.

          USB version 2 is part hardware (the data pump chips) and part software
          driver (updates to the latest version 2 drivers may be necessary if you
          have version 2 hardware, the drivers change occassionally). As was
          mentioned, if you have a computer that is older than a couple of years you
          probably have version 1 USB ports. Newer computers usually come with USB 2
          ports, though you would have to double check the hardware specs. That
          said...

          USB 2 devices will work with USB 1 ports. They might run a bit sluggish,
          but they should work. USB 1 devices will work fine on USB 2 ports, the
          device will be no faster than it would have been on a USB 1 port. You
          mentioned that you have a number of devices already attached to your
          computer and need more ports. There are two ways to go about it. 1) get a
          new USB port card (might as well go for the version 2 ports here), or 2)
          get a USB hub. The USB hub might be the easiest way to expand your ports
          since it doesn't require any additional tools to install it. The hub also
          helps eliminate the "fan out" problem of having too many devices attached
          to the existing USB port - the hub has its own power source. Either way,
          you will probably be getting USB 2 hardware.

          USB cables are coming out that say they are USB 2 compatible (and you pay
          extra for it), but I have not seen any difference between USB 1 and USB 2
          cables besides the price tag. A good cable is still a good cable.

          --
          Robert

          Thought for the day: It's kind of fun to do the impossible. Walt Disney