Re: [NTO] OpenOffice Beginner

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2004
      Fay,

      Been our of town on vacation.....

      Glad to help. What I like best about Open Office is that it is the same
      program in all Operating Systems it has been ported to. One can stay with
      Windows if that is what they prefer, or can get more ambitious and try Linux
      or any other free OS.

      NoteTab is one program that is keeping my foot in the Windows world. I'm too
      lazy, er, busy to learn how to do what I do with all the Clips I've built
      and accumulated over that last 5 1/2 years.

      My wife is also too limited in her view of using computers and it is hard
      enough to help her when MS changes the look and feel of Windows. However, I
      think the most recent changes to Linux desktop packages may be what she and
      other Windows users need to be more comfortable in making the switch.

      If the price was not so high, more users might opt to use one of the options
      for running Windows in Linux or Unix. From what I read it is fast and never
      crashes. I have gotten NoteTab to run in Linux. I think I need a newer
      version of Linux to make it more stable. I have not had time to play like I
      would prefer. ;-)

      I also like how Open Office supports saving documents straight to PDF. If
      does not give a lot of formatting options, at least in the presentation
      package, but it is fast. I have not had time to work with the word
      processing to see how it works, but that is a big step forward. It would
      save needing two or three programs for those that want to generate PDFs for
      free.

      Larry

      Fay wrote:
      > Larry
      >
      > Thank you for your encouragement.
      >
      >> If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I am
      >> sure we would go to Open Office.
      >
      > Indeed. Also, people buying a new pc are more or less told they must
      > buy the latest MS OS or go without. Then they find that, without
      > installing at least one MS Office program, they have no spell check
      > in Outlook Express. And so on. Ah well, once you had to have a black
      > Ford or no motor car.
      >
      > It's hard going straight to Linux because everything is unfamiliar.
      > If I have one suite of programs with which I feel at home I'll do
      > better.
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
        Larry H,
        I am sure you know that Open Office has a windows version.
        Ed

        Fay wrote:
        > Larry
        >
        > Thank you for your encouragement.
        >
        >> If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I am
        >> sure we would go to Open Office.
        >
        > Indeed. Also, people buying a new pc are more or less told they must
        > buy the latest MS OS or go without. Then they find that, without
        > installing at least one MS Office program, they have no spell check
        > in Outlook Express. And so on. Ah well, once you had to have a black
        > Ford or no motor car.
        >
        > It's hard going straight to Linux because everything is unfamiliar.
        > If I have one suite of programs with which I feel at home I'll do
        > better.

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
          Ed,

          Yes, I made that point in the 4th sentence of my post. One can use Windows
          or get ambitious and try another Operating System.

          FWIW, I have only installed Open Office on Windows, at work and at home. I
          do not have enough room on my Linux partition (at home). I thought 20
          gigabytes was a lot when I got my new system 2 years ago. I plan to get a
          bigger second hard drive when liquidity of funds is an option.... My oldest
          son is upset that I uninstalled all the Linux games to make room to do other
          things.... I basically use Linux for a "How does it work?" environment. I
          have learned all the Linux basics, and built a few shell scripts, nothing
          earth shattering.

          Larry

          Ed Brown wrote:
          > Larry H,
          > I am sure you know that Open Office has a windows version.
          > Ed

        • Fay
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
            Hi Larry,
            Mmm. I've been away too--in the garden. Thanks for your informative post,
            the most interesting part of which is
            >I have gotten NoteTab to run in Linux.
            How, please?

            Fay
          • bizshop1
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
              I am also hanging on to Windows for one reason and one reason only -
              Notetab.

              If someone can successfully use it in Linux, PULEEZE let us all know
              how you did it!!! I'll switch in a gnat's heartbeat.

              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...>

            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                Steve,

                It is not smooth in my version of RedHat (7.2). Redhat is up to 9.x, but
                they are discontinuing support for it in April. I have not tried it for
                awhile. I will get into my Linux partition and see what the issues are.

                Larry

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
                  > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
                  beginners
                  > with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics? I'm only
                  concerned about
                  > the word processor at this stage. I did Google, but haven't found

                  http://gmane.org/lists.php

                  gmane.org their lists page, scroll down just a little ways and there's

                  gmane.comp.openoffice.questions

                  that particular url/link I enclosed above, the links on its page is
                  designed to bring up a default NNTP news client when clicked on.

                  But they may also have a www web interface as an alternative to using
                  an NNTP news client app.

                  I used to subscribe to some their groups using NNTP client (Mozilla).

                  I need to get my 'puter set up again for that and re initiate or
                  begin again with it.

                  --
                  Alan.
                • acummingsus
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
                    > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
                    beginners
                    > with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics?

                    http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.comp.openoffice

                    http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions/cutoff=54260

                    Web interface of . . .comp.openoffice

                    and

                    . . .comp.openoffice.questions

                    --
                    Alan.
                  • Manuel123
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                      How can I write polaco with windows XP. Thanks in advanced.
                      I use a spanish windows xp.

                      ---
                      Annotatio:
                      "Para un pc vale 1 programa y para otros no. Cada persona es un mundo, cada pc es otro."
                      ---
                      Caso de devolución repetidas de respuestas enviar un mensaje de aviso a <incidencias@...>