Re: [NTO] OpenOffice Beginner

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 25, 2003
      Fay,

      I find Open Office very powerful and very intuitive for users of MS-Office.

      MS's arguement is that it is only as good as Office 97. I find Office 97
      adequate to whatever I needed.

      It is especially helpful to make presentations without having to spend $200
      or so just to get PowerPoint, when you only make a few presentations a year,
      and it works just as well.

      Open Office even does a pretty good job with the MS file format. I find it
      does not recognize length of page the same way MS-Word does, so it takes
      some fiddling.

      If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I am sure we
      would go to Open Office.

      I do find some of its help too brief on some points, but it gets the job
      done.

      Larry Hamilton

      Fay wrote:
      > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
      > beginners with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics? I'm
      > only concerned about the word processor at this stage. I did Google,
      > but haven't found anything yet.
      > Thanks, Fay
    • Fay
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 25, 2003
        Larry

        Thank you for your encouragement.

        >If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I am sure we
        >would go to Open Office.

        Indeed. Also, people buying a new pc are more or less told they must buy the
        latest MS OS or go without. Then they find that, without installing at least
        one MS Office program, they have no spell check in Outlook Express. And so
        on. Ah well, once you had to have a black Ford or no motor car.

        It's hard going straight to Linux because everything is unfamiliar. If I
        have one suite of programs with which I feel at home I'll do better.

        >it is only as good as Office 97
        I like 97 lots more than anything since. 2000 is worse than 6 (which was
        horrible), IMO.

        Fay
      • Christine
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 29, 2003
          Hi all!
          I'm experiencing something new with my NTP that's frustrating the heck out
          of me.

          If I try to open a file, or anything that will call the File Manager --
          oops! Dating myself. The Windows Explorer, NTP freezes, using all the
          resources available on my system. IOW, in the Task Manager, it says it's
          draining 99%.

          I have to close the program and so far, have not been able to figure out how
          to work. I can't insert HTML codes that choose photos, etc.

          Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me?

          Thanks,
          Christine
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 29, 2003
            Hi Christine,

            I'd first try opening NoteTab's INI file found in its main folder
            (NoteTab.ini for Std/Light). Retype over a letter so that it
            creates a state of needing to be saved. Simply save the file with
            an exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or !NoteTab.ini) in front of it
            and restart NoteTab. Restart NoteTab.

            If that does not work, try a new INI file by renaming the current
            so you can save your settings by going back to the original if it
            doesn't help. If you want to create a new INI file, close NoteTab
            and rename NotePro.ini found in its main folder (NoteTab.ini for
            Std/Light). Start up NoteTab and it will use its default settings
            actually creating the INI file when you shut it down.

            If that fixes it, try going through the same procedure, but
            rename your original INI file back to its original name. If it
            looks OK then, all is well. If not you will need to build the new
            INI file again and redo all your settings. You might be able to
            get away with copying all the text in the old INI file and
            pasting it into the new INI file. Simply save the file with an
            exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or !NoteTab.ini) in front of it
            and restart NoteTab.

            Lastly, as far as NoteTab is concerned, I'd try reinstalling it.
            If you are having similar problems with other programs, I'd first
            check for a virus and then do a scandisk. If all that does not
            help and nobody else has any more suggestions and if it were me,
            I'd install Windows again. There is a way to restore Windows to a
            known good places, but I'm not familiar with it. Press F8 when
            you are booting up in WinXP (assuming that is what you are
            running) repeatedly right after the CMOS stuff comes up with the
            press Del note to go into CMOS setup.

            >I'm experiencing something new with my NTP that's frustrating the
            >heck out of me.
            >
            >If I try to open a file, or anything that will call the File
            >Manager --oops! Dating myself. The Windows Explorer, NTP
            >freezes, using all the resources available on my system. IOW, in
            >the Task Manager, it says it's draining 99%.

            All Fookes Software mailing lists:
            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          • Christine
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 30, 2003
              I'll try the renaming thing, Jodi.
              Ironically, all this started when I ran a checkdisk and defragged.
              I'm on W2K Pro, not messing around with the mess that XP is. I haven't done
              anything unusual, but I've had odd things happening since.
              I'm hoping a windows reinstall isn't in the offing, since that's kind of a
              PIA. I'd rather wipe it clean and do the whole shooting match over again.

              I'll let you know what happens!

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 2, 2004
                Fay,

                Been our of town on vacation.....

                Glad to help. What I like best about Open Office is that it is the same
                program in all Operating Systems it has been ported to. One can stay with
                Windows if that is what they prefer, or can get more ambitious and try Linux
                or any other free OS.

                NoteTab is one program that is keeping my foot in the Windows world. I'm too
                lazy, er, busy to learn how to do what I do with all the Clips I've built
                and accumulated over that last 5 1/2 years.

                My wife is also too limited in her view of using computers and it is hard
                enough to help her when MS changes the look and feel of Windows. However, I
                think the most recent changes to Linux desktop packages may be what she and
                other Windows users need to be more comfortable in making the switch.

                If the price was not so high, more users might opt to use one of the options
                for running Windows in Linux or Unix. From what I read it is fast and never
                crashes. I have gotten NoteTab to run in Linux. I think I need a newer
                version of Linux to make it more stable. I have not had time to play like I
                would prefer. ;-)

                I also like how Open Office supports saving documents straight to PDF. If
                does not give a lot of formatting options, at least in the presentation
                package, but it is fast. I have not had time to work with the word
                processing to see how it works, but that is a big step forward. It would
                save needing two or three programs for those that want to generate PDFs for
                free.

                Larry

                Fay wrote:
                > Larry
                >
                > Thank you for your encouragement.
                >
                >> If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I am
                >> sure we would go to Open Office.
                >
                > Indeed. Also, people buying a new pc are more or less told they must
                > buy the latest MS OS or go without. Then they find that, without
                > installing at least one MS Office program, they have no spell check
                > in Outlook Express. And so on. Ah well, once you had to have a black
                > Ford or no motor car.
                >
                > It's hard going straight to Linux because everything is unfamiliar.
                > If I have one suite of programs with which I feel at home I'll do
                > better.
              • Ed Brown
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                  Larry H,
                  I am sure you know that Open Office has a windows version.
                  Ed

                  Fay wrote:
                  > Larry
                  >
                  > Thank you for your encouragement.
                  >
                  >> If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I am
                  >> sure we would go to Open Office.
                  >
                  > Indeed. Also, people buying a new pc are more or less told they must
                  > buy the latest MS OS or go without. Then they find that, without
                  > installing at least one MS Office program, they have no spell check
                  > in Outlook Express. And so on. Ah well, once you had to have a black
                  > Ford or no motor car.
                  >
                  > It's hard going straight to Linux because everything is unfamiliar.
                  > If I have one suite of programs with which I feel at home I'll do
                  > better.

                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                    Ed,

                    Yes, I made that point in the 4th sentence of my post. One can use Windows
                    or get ambitious and try another Operating System.

                    FWIW, I have only installed Open Office on Windows, at work and at home. I
                    do not have enough room on my Linux partition (at home). I thought 20
                    gigabytes was a lot when I got my new system 2 years ago. I plan to get a
                    bigger second hard drive when liquidity of funds is an option.... My oldest
                    son is upset that I uninstalled all the Linux games to make room to do other
                    things.... I basically use Linux for a "How does it work?" environment. I
                    have learned all the Linux basics, and built a few shell scripts, nothing
                    earth shattering.

                    Larry

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Hi Larry,
                      Mmm. I've been away too--in the garden. Thanks for your informative post,
                      the most interesting part of which is
                      >I have gotten NoteTab to run in Linux.
                      How, please?

                      Fay
                    • bizshop1
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                        I am also hanging on to Windows for one reason and one reason only -
                        Notetab.

                        If someone can successfully use it in Linux, PULEEZE let us all know
                        how you did it!!! I'll switch in a gnat's heartbeat.

                        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...>

                      • Larry Hamilton
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                          Steve,

                          It is not smooth in my version of RedHat (7.2). Redhat is up to 9.x, but
                          they are discontinuing support for it in April. I have not tried it for
                          awhile. I will get into my Linux partition and see what the issues are.

                          Larry

                          > I am also hanging on to Windows for one reason and one reason only -
                          > Notetab.
                          >
                          > If someone can successfully use it in Linux, PULEEZE let us all know
                          > how you did it!!! I'll switch in a gnat's heartbeat.
                        • acummingsus
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                            --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
                            > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
                            beginners
                            > with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics? I'm only
                            concerned about
                            > the word processor at this stage. I did Google, but haven't found

                            http://gmane.org/lists.php

                            gmane.org their lists page, scroll down just a little ways and there's

                            gmane.comp.openoffice.questions

                            that particular url/link I enclosed above, the links on its page is
                            designed to bring up a default NNTP news client when clicked on.

                            But they may also have a www web interface as an alternative to using
                            an NNTP news client app.

                            I used to subscribe to some their groups using NNTP client (Mozilla).

                            I need to get my 'puter set up again for that and re initiate or
                            begin again with it.

                            --
                            Alan.
                          • acummingsus
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
                              > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
                              beginners
                              > with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics?

                              http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.comp.openoffice

                              http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions/cutoff=54260

                              Web interface of . . .comp.openoffice

                              and

                              . . .comp.openoffice.questions

                              --
                              Alan.
                            • Manuel123
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                                How can I write polaco with windows XP. Thanks in advanced.
                                I use a spanish windows xp.

                                ---
                                Annotatio:
                                "Para un pc vale 1 programa y para otros no. Cada persona es un mundo, cada pc es otro."
                                ---
                                Caso de devolución repetidas de respuestas enviar un mensaje de aviso a <incidencias@...>