OpenOffice Beginner

  • Fay
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 25, 2003
      Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where beginners
      with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics? I'm only concerned about
      the word processor at this stage. I did Google, but haven't found anything
      yet.
      Thanks, Fay
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 25, 2003
        Fay wrote:
        >Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where beginners
        >with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics? I'm only concerned about
        >the word processor at this stage. I did Google, but haven't found anything
        >yet.

        Point! -->
        <http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html>
        users@... seems to fit.

        Or did you mean independent lists?

        Lotta
      • Don Passenger
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 25, 2003
          I suspect you will find info on open office somewhere near linux lists
          of which there are many. Google has a whole section devoted to linux.
          http://www.google.com/linux is a special google devoted specifically to
          linux people. Go there and type in open office tutorial, or open office
          word tutorial etc. Also, there are a number of lists specifically for
          open office: http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html#general

          Good luck.

          loro wrote:

          > Fay wrote:
          >
          >>Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where beginners
          >>with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics? I'm only concerned about
          >>the word processor at this stage. I did Google, but haven't found anything
          >>yet.
        • Fay
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 25, 2003
            Thank you both. I'm on the right track now, and very happy. As a person who
            really liked Word 2 but can't stand the later versions, I find the word
            processor in OOo first rate. I made an 8 page booklet with pages in correct
            order first go. I've tried very hard to do this in Word, and I've never
            succeeded.
            Fay
          • Larry Hamilton
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 25, 2003
              Fay,

              I find Open Office very powerful and very intuitive for users of MS-Office.

              MS's arguement is that it is only as good as Office 97. I find Office 97
              adequate to whatever I needed.

              It is especially helpful to make presentations without having to spend $200
              or so just to get PowerPoint, when you only make a few presentations a year,
              and it works just as well.

              Open Office even does a pretty good job with the MS file format. I find it
              does not recognize length of page the same way MS-Word does, so it takes
              some fiddling.

              If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I am sure we
              would go to Open Office.

              I do find some of its help too brief on some points, but it gets the job
              done.

              Larry Hamilton

              Fay wrote:
              > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
              > beginners with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics? I'm
              > only concerned about the word processor at this stage. I did Google,
              > but haven't found anything yet.
              > Thanks, Fay
            • Fay
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 25, 2003
                Larry

                Thank you for your encouragement.

                >If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I am sure we
                >would go to Open Office.

                Indeed. Also, people buying a new pc are more or less told they must buy the
                latest MS OS or go without. Then they find that, without installing at least
                one MS Office program, they have no spell check in Outlook Express. And so
                on. Ah well, once you had to have a black Ford or no motor car.

                It's hard going straight to Linux because everything is unfamiliar. If I
                have one suite of programs with which I feel at home I'll do better.

                >it is only as good as Office 97
                I like 97 lots more than anything since. 2000 is worse than 6 (which was
                horrible), IMO.

                Fay
              • Christine
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 29, 2003
                  Hi all!
                  I'm experiencing something new with my NTP that's frustrating the heck out
                  of me.

                  If I try to open a file, or anything that will call the File Manager --
                  oops! Dating myself. The Windows Explorer, NTP freezes, using all the
                  resources available on my system. IOW, in the Task Manager, it says it's
                  draining 99%.

                  I have to close the program and so far, have not been able to figure out how
                  to work. I can't insert HTML codes that choose photos, etc.

                  Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me?

                  Thanks,
                  Christine
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 29, 2003
                    Hi Christine,

                    I'd first try opening NoteTab's INI file found in its main folder
                    (NoteTab.ini for Std/Light). Retype over a letter so that it
                    creates a state of needing to be saved. Simply save the file with
                    an exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or !NoteTab.ini) in front of it
                    and restart NoteTab. Restart NoteTab.

                    If that does not work, try a new INI file by renaming the current
                    so you can save your settings by going back to the original if it
                    doesn't help. If you want to create a new INI file, close NoteTab
                    and rename NotePro.ini found in its main folder (NoteTab.ini for
                    Std/Light). Start up NoteTab and it will use its default settings
                    actually creating the INI file when you shut it down.

                    If that fixes it, try going through the same procedure, but
                    rename your original INI file back to its original name. If it
                    looks OK then, all is well. If not you will need to build the new
                    INI file again and redo all your settings. You might be able to
                    get away with copying all the text in the old INI file and
                    pasting it into the new INI file. Simply save the file with an
                    exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini or !NoteTab.ini) in front of it
                    and restart NoteTab.

                    Lastly, as far as NoteTab is concerned, I'd try reinstalling it.
                    If you are having similar problems with other programs, I'd first
                    check for a virus and then do a scandisk. If all that does not
                    help and nobody else has any more suggestions and if it were me,
                    I'd install Windows again. There is a way to restore Windows to a
                    known good places, but I'm not familiar with it. Press F8 when
                    you are booting up in WinXP (assuming that is what you are
                    running) repeatedly right after the CMOS stuff comes up with the
                    press Del note to go into CMOS setup.

                    >I'm experiencing something new with my NTP that's frustrating the
                    >heck out of me.
                    >
                    >If I try to open a file, or anything that will call the File
                    >Manager --oops! Dating myself. The Windows Explorer, NTP
                    >freezes, using all the resources available on my system. IOW, in
                    >the Task Manager, it says it's draining 99%.

                    All Fookes Software mailing lists:
                    http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                  • Christine
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 30, 2003
                      I'll try the renaming thing, Jodi.
                      Ironically, all this started when I ran a checkdisk and defragged.
                      I'm on W2K Pro, not messing around with the mess that XP is. I haven't done
                      anything unusual, but I've had odd things happening since.
                      I'm hoping a windows reinstall isn't in the offing, since that's kind of a
                      PIA. I'd rather wipe it clean and do the whole shooting match over again.

                      I'll let you know what happens!

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 2, 2004
                        Fay,

                        Been our of town on vacation.....

                        Glad to help. What I like best about Open Office is that it is the same
                        program in all Operating Systems it has been ported to. One can stay with
                        Windows if that is what they prefer, or can get more ambitious and try Linux
                        or any other free OS.

                        NoteTab is one program that is keeping my foot in the Windows world. I'm too
                        lazy, er, busy to learn how to do what I do with all the Clips I've built
                        and accumulated over that last 5 1/2 years.

                        My wife is also too limited in her view of using computers and it is hard
                        enough to help her when MS changes the look and feel of Windows. However, I
                        think the most recent changes to Linux desktop packages may be what she and
                        other Windows users need to be more comfortable in making the switch.

                        If the price was not so high, more users might opt to use one of the options
                        for running Windows in Linux or Unix. From what I read it is fast and never
                        crashes. I have gotten NoteTab to run in Linux. I think I need a newer
                        version of Linux to make it more stable. I have not had time to play like I
                        would prefer. ;-)

                        I also like how Open Office supports saving documents straight to PDF. If
                        does not give a lot of formatting options, at least in the presentation
                        package, but it is fast. I have not had time to work with the word
                        processing to see how it works, but that is a big step forward. It would
                        save needing two or three programs for those that want to generate PDFs for
                        free.

                        Larry

                        Fay wrote:
                        > Larry
                        >
                        > Thank you for your encouragement.
                        >
                        >> If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I am
                        >> sure we would go to Open Office.
                        >
                        > Indeed. Also, people buying a new pc are more or less told they must
                        > buy the latest MS OS or go without. Then they find that, without
                        > installing at least one MS Office program, they have no spell check
                        > in Outlook Express. And so on. Ah well, once you had to have a black
                        > Ford or no motor car.
                        >
                        > It's hard going straight to Linux because everything is unfamiliar.
                        > If I have one suite of programs with which I feel at home I'll do
                        > better.
                      • Ed Brown
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                          Larry H,
                          I am sure you know that Open Office has a windows version.
                          Ed

                          Fay wrote:
                          > Larry
                          >
                          > Thank you for your encouragement.
                          >
                          >> If not for "free" Word and Excel with new computers at work, I am
                          >> sure we would go to Open Office.
                          >
                          > Indeed. Also, people buying a new pc are more or less told they must
                          > buy the latest MS OS or go without. Then they find that, without
                          > installing at least one MS Office program, they have no spell check
                          > in Outlook Express. And so on. Ah well, once you had to have a black
                          > Ford or no motor car.
                          >
                          > It's hard going straight to Linux because everything is unfamiliar.
                          > If I have one suite of programs with which I feel at home I'll do
                          > better.

                        • Larry Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 3, 2004
                            Ed,

                            Yes, I made that point in the 4th sentence of my post. One can use Windows
                            or get ambitious and try another Operating System.

                            FWIW, I have only installed Open Office on Windows, at work and at home. I
                            do not have enough room on my Linux partition (at home). I thought 20
                            gigabytes was a lot when I got my new system 2 years ago. I plan to get a
                            bigger second hard drive when liquidity of funds is an option.... My oldest
                            son is upset that I uninstalled all the Linux games to make room to do other
                            things.... I basically use Linux for a "How does it work?" environment. I
                            have learned all the Linux basics, and built a few shell scripts, nothing
                            earth shattering.

                            Larry

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                              Hi Larry,
                              Mmm. I've been away too--in the garden. Thanks for your informative post,
                              the most interesting part of which is
                              >I have gotten NoteTab to run in Linux.
                              How, please?

                              Fay
                            • bizshop1
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                                I am also hanging on to Windows for one reason and one reason only -
                                Notetab.

                                If someone can successfully use it in Linux, PULEEZE let us all know
                                how you did it!!! I'll switch in a gnat's heartbeat.

                                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Hamilton" <lmh@h...>

                              • Larry Hamilton
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                                  Steve,

                                  It is not smooth in my version of RedHat (7.2). Redhat is up to 9.x, but
                                  they are discontinuing support for it in April. I have not tried it for
                                  awhile. I will get into my Linux partition and see what the issues are.

                                  Larry

                                  > I am also hanging on to Windows for one reason and one reason only -
                                  > Notetab.
                                  >
                                  > If someone can successfully use it in Linux, PULEEZE let us all know
                                  > how you did it!!! I'll switch in a gnat's heartbeat.
                                • acummingsus
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
                                    > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
                                    beginners
                                    > with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics? I'm only
                                    concerned about
                                    > the word processor at this stage. I did Google, but haven't found

                                    http://gmane.org/lists.php

                                    gmane.org their lists page, scroll down just a little ways and there's

                                    gmane.comp.openoffice.questions

                                    that particular url/link I enclosed above, the links on its page is
                                    designed to bring up a default NNTP news client when clicked on.

                                    But they may also have a www web interface as an alternative to using
                                    an NNTP news client app.

                                    I used to subscribe to some their groups using NNTP client (Mozilla).

                                    I need to get my 'puter set up again for that and re initiate or
                                    begin again with it.

                                    --
                                    Alan.
                                  • acummingsus
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 5, 2004
                                      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@i...> wrote:
                                      > Can anyone point me to a list like this one, or a forum, where
                                      beginners
                                      > with OpenOffice can ask questions about the basics?

                                      http://news.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.comp.openoffice

                                      http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.openoffice.questions/cutoff=54260

                                      Web interface of . . .comp.openoffice

                                      and

                                      . . .comp.openoffice.questions

                                      --
                                      Alan.
                                    • Manuel123
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 7, 2004
                                        How can I write polaco with windows XP. Thanks in advanced.
                                        I use a spanish windows xp.

                                        ---
                                        Annotatio:
                                        "Para un pc vale 1 programa y para otros no. Cada persona es un mundo, cada pc es otro."
                                        ---
                                        Caso de devolución repetidas de respuestas enviar un mensaje de aviso a <incidencias@...>