RE: [NTO] Re: 1and1 signup review..

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 24, 2003
      Hi Sheri,

      > Somewhere is all the agreement/TOS text it said something about
      > being in, or the agreement being governed by New York law. I didn't
      > notice any misspellings on those pages.

      That may be it! I am referring to http://www.1and1.co.uk, which is all
      priced in UKP and looks thoroughly English, initially!

      > Now this part I don't understand. The tiny web space my ISP provides
      > has no script support.

      Ah! I suspect that the UK is rather different to elsewhere. Thanks to the
      de-regulation of our telephone system some time back, we have an unusual
      situation.

      In order to help break up the privatised government monopoly it was forced
      to pay those organisations who set up businesses which generated traffic on
      their network. ISPs found it cost less to buy/run a rack of modems and a
      server or two than they generated through inbound calls. Result: Masses of
      no-subscription ISPs arrived on the UK scene, who also provided a healthy
      chunk of advert-free web space and ready to run scripts for stuff like hit
      counters and basic forms. Yes, you had to pay for the phone call but, at
      that stage, that wasn't a problem in the UK market where we were never used
      to free local calls.

      Now things have changed a bit and most people pay an ISP subscription in
      order to get flat monthly fee connections to their ISP, so avoiding the
      unexpected big phone bill. For 99% of domestic users, the web space
      allowances and scripts, such as they were, and bandwidth allowances, if
      published, were much bigger than needed. Businesses, however, did need more
      and a completely separate market developed for additional facilities. Being
      aimed at businesses, charges could be correspondingly high - hence the kinds
      of prices than I am paying! :-(

      > I already have a large free space for posting photographs
      > http://sherisg3.fotopic.net . I have a couple of private ones for
      > sharing family photos. Great deal which I hope will continue.
      > They've recently added some fee-based services.

      I guess this is one of those companies that is still in its build a name,
      grab a share of the market phase. The market is maturing rapidly with the
      roll-out of broadband - still a rarity, here. Maybe they foresee a business
      opportunity a couple of years down the line as everybody moves over to
      broadband.

      Greg
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 24, 2003
        Watch out, they will start billing you automatiically on your phone bill.
        --

        ~~~
        Jeff Scism, IBSSG

        http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
        http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 28, 2003
          Good point Jeff, I've just put a tickler in my Ecco file for Nov 20th 2006
          :-)
          Regards ... Alec