RE: 1and1 signup review.. Was RE: RE: [NTO] Free Web Host - Should I try it?

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 24, 2003
      Hi Jason,

      > I'm signing up for 1and1 right now.

      > After giving them a phone number ("Toll free, non-geographic, and
      > numbers outside the USA and Canada cannot be used.")

      Could you phone on my behalf! :-)

      I'm a UK based customer of 1and1 and I'm paying 4.99UKP per month plus
      17.5%VAT for considerably less than this offer!! I'm jealous as hell :-(

      I've no significant complaints about their service.

      I can confirm that they are German in origin. A lot of their FAQ pages,
      show a lot of mis-spelling and other strangeness that demonstrates this.

      My big problem was that I had failed to realise how crippled their "ready to
      run CGI library" was. I had expected it to be at least the equivalent of my
      previous hosts, but it isn't. I am now looking for an alternative host
      where I can get full cgi access, so I can install a script of my liking
      rather than being forced to accept a "not quite what I want" alternative.
      At 1and1 that is going to double the charge - an unacceptable level for a
      small hobby site.

      As to support... A newbie friend signed up for a Windows hosted account
      with them, rather than Linux, and found that support was absolutely useless!
      He couldn't get his FrontPage Extensions to work. They went into "third
      party problems - turn to them" mode!

      Greg
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 24, 2003
        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Chapman" <greg@e...>
        wrote:

        > I can confirm that they are German in origin. A lot of their FAQ
        > pages,
        > show a lot of mis-spelling and other strangeness that demonstrates
        > this.

        Somewhere is all the agreement/TOS text it said something about
        being in, or the agreement being governed by New York law. I didn't
        notice any misspellings on those pages.

        > My big problem was that I had failed to realise how crippled
        > their "ready to
        > run CGI library" was. I had expected it to be at least the
        > equivalent of my
        > previous hosts, but it isn't. I am now looking for an alternative
        > host
        > where I can get full cgi access, so I can install a script of my
        > liking
        > rather than being forced to accept a "not quite what I want"
        > alternative.
        > At 1and1 that is going to double the charge - an unacceptable
        > level for a small hobby site.

        Now this part I don't understand. The tiny web space my ISP provides
        has no script support. I was pretty disappointed because back when I
        discovered that I was hoping to see a little of my Perl in action.
        My reading of the 1and1 TOS was that if you use their canned stuff,
        they charge you, but that you can use your own.

        Also the bandwith limit sounds like plenty, but I have no idea! I
        have several interests (e.g., photography, scripting, cooking), I'd
        probably be inclined to post interesting material and invite fellow
        hobbyists in open forums. It would probably be a matter of "when it
        rains, it pours" in terms of hits.

        I already have a large free space for posting photographs, but am
        limited to their software and layout. It is sometimes impossibly
        slow but at other times it flies! There is no bandwith limit, no
        advertising, and you get up to 200 mb space. Based in the UK, it is
        http://www.fotopic.net if anyone's interested. They also let you
        divide your space among multiple public and private galleries, each
        of which can have a chosen name. My public one is at
        http://sherisg3.fotopic.net . I have a couple of private ones for
        sharing family photos. Great deal which I hope will continue.
        They've recently added some fee-based services.

        Sheri
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 24, 2003
          Hi Sheri,

          > Somewhere is all the agreement/TOS text it said something about
          > being in, or the agreement being governed by New York law. I didn't
          > notice any misspellings on those pages.

          That may be it! I am referring to http://www.1and1.co.uk, which is all
          priced in UKP and looks thoroughly English, initially!

          > Now this part I don't understand. The tiny web space my ISP provides
          > has no script support.

          Ah! I suspect that the UK is rather different to elsewhere. Thanks to the
          de-regulation of our telephone system some time back, we have an unusual
          situation.

          In order to help break up the privatised government monopoly it was forced
          to pay those organisations who set up businesses which generated traffic on
          their network. ISPs found it cost less to buy/run a rack of modems and a
          server or two than they generated through inbound calls. Result: Masses of
          no-subscription ISPs arrived on the UK scene, who also provided a healthy
          chunk of advert-free web space and ready to run scripts for stuff like hit
          counters and basic forms. Yes, you had to pay for the phone call but, at
          that stage, that wasn't a problem in the UK market where we were never used
          to free local calls.

          Now things have changed a bit and most people pay an ISP subscription in
          order to get flat monthly fee connections to their ISP, so avoiding the
          unexpected big phone bill. For 99% of domestic users, the web space
          allowances and scripts, such as they were, and bandwidth allowances, if
          published, were much bigger than needed. Businesses, however, did need more
          and a completely separate market developed for additional facilities. Being
          aimed at businesses, charges could be correspondingly high - hence the kinds
          of prices than I am paying! :-(

          > I already have a large free space for posting photographs
          > http://sherisg3.fotopic.net . I have a couple of private ones for
          > sharing family photos. Great deal which I hope will continue.
          > They've recently added some fee-based services.

          I guess this is one of those companies that is still in its build a name,
          grab a share of the market phase. The market is maturing rapidly with the
          roll-out of broadband - still a rarity, here. Maybe they foresee a business
          opportunity a couple of years down the line as everybody moves over to
          broadband.

          Greg
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 24, 2003
            Watch out, they will start billing you automatiically on your phone bill.
            --

            ~~~
            Jeff Scism, IBSSG

            http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
            http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 28, 2003
              Good point Jeff, I've just put a tickler in my Ecco file for Nov 20th 2006
              :-)
              Regards ... Alec