Free Web Host - Should I try it?

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 23, 2003
      I have little experience or need for a sophisticated web site, but I
      read a recommendation for this site and was thinking of trying it as
      a learning experience. They claim to offer 500 MB space, 6 GB
      monthly bandwidth plus a lot of amenities free for three years.
      Offer expires January 15.

      http://order.1and1.com

      Let me know what you think.

      Thanks,
      Sheri
    • Jason Wellband
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 23, 2003
        Sheri,

        I remember this coming up on some list or another and if I recall, the
        consensus was 1and1 has support issues.

        What I'd do is go find reviews. Google Directory might help here:
        http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Internet/Web_Design_and_Develo
        pment/Hosting/Directories/?il=1

        Also, see if 1and1 has spam issues by searching news.admin.net-abuse.*:
        http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=ISO-8859-1&newwindow
        =1&q=1and1&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dnews.admin.net-abuse.*

        A general newsgroup search brings up some hits:
        http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&newwi
        ndow=1&cat=&q=1and1&sa=N&tab=dg

        I might do a non-domain version and see how they go and if they work
        out, I might point my domains over there. Something about them makes me
        nervous about them managing my domains. Call it a gut feeling <grin>

        Hth

        Jason

        ---

        Sent with Jason's laptop

        : I have little experience or need for a sophisticated web site, but I
        : read a recommendation for this site and was thinking of trying it as
        : a learning experience. They claim to offer 500 MB space, 6 GB
        : monthly bandwidth plus a lot of amenities free for three years.
        : Offer expires January 15.
        :
        http://order.1and1.com

        Let me know what you think.

        Thanks,
        Sheri

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 23, 2003
          Sheri/Jason:

          It came up on the powertoolssoftware list a month ago. I got my free
          web-site but haven't done anything with it yet (I don't have a domain name
          and like you I guess don't really have much use for it.)

          I think they are called 1und1 in Europe - I think they are based in Germany
          but large everywhere on the continent. I don't see how it can hurt to get
          the free for three year offer but prudence would be wise for anything
          critical.

          <quote>
          >1&1 (http://www.1and1.com) is starting service to end users and offering
          >their "best hosting plan" for free for three years.
          Hehe, that's my German provider, they're called in Germany 1und1.com :)
          They're really good and _big_ I say, and have "a bit" money ;)
          </quote>

          Lotta had this to say:
          <quote>
          No experience but two searches at webhostingtalk found some not so happy
          customers.

          http://snurl.com/2y0z
          http://snurl.com/2y0y
          </quote>

          As it happens, they sent me a Christmas message today:
          > 1&1 is proud to announce that our pre-launch promotion has been a great
          > success. An incredible 100 thousand people have signed up for our free
          > Professional Package, and we now have registered 3.9 million domain
          > names.

          Regards ... Alec

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 23, 2003
              I'm signing up for 1and1 right now. So far they wanted my name, address,
              and an email address. I've used a tagged email address so I'll see if it
              gets spammed to death.

              The TOS looks pretty normal. 1and1 specifically forbids erotic material
              (which could be a problem for some). You also have to agree that if you
              have a CGI script that overloads their servers, then you'll be shut
              down. They do say they'll work with you to resolve it, but if my
              recollection about support is correct, don't hold your breath on that.
              If your site goes over 5 gb transfer rate, they'll cut you off or charge
              you per gig extra.

              After accepting the TOS, I got this:
              "Your order has been accepted. Soon you will receive a confirmation
              e-mail to the address you provided during registration. It will explain
              the 4-step automated authentication process which activates your 1&1
              hosting plan. During this process we will need a telephone number, where
              we can reach you, to provide you with a PIN. No credit card information
              is required to set up or to use the FREE Professional Package."

              After giving them a phone number ("Toll free, non-geographic, and
              numbers outside the USA and Canada cannot be used."), their system
              called me 13 minutes later.. They said they'd send me another email,
              which came. I successfully logged in and it looks self-explanatory. I
              haven't found the ftp info, but I could probably guess based on other
              stuff.

              I'll play with it tommorrow, but I am going to bed as it's 130 my time
              <g>

              Jason

              ---

              Sent with Jason's laptop

[...]
              : --
              :
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 23, 2003
                Jason:

                1and1 aka 1und1:

                They didn't ask me for a credit card at all. What they do ask for is a
                telephone number that they can auto-dial within a 15 min period (my call
                came in less than 3 minutes after clicking [Send]) to give you a reg-code
                that is to be entered back into their web page.

                For anyone else contemplating getting it, the offer expires in early
                Jan/2004 either Jan-04 or a couple of days later.

                Regards ... Alec

                > I'm not on powertoolssoftware however Lotta's quote jogged my memory
                > - I just turned 22 but it's already shot :( - and I searched
                > ntb-html... Then I realized it could be on here and bingo:

                > I'm going to go as far through the signup as I can without giving them
                > my credit card or anything of that nature.
                >
                > I'll post back soon
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 24, 2003
                  Hi Jason,

                  > I'm signing up for 1and1 right now.

                  > After giving them a phone number ("Toll free, non-geographic, and
                  > numbers outside the USA and Canada cannot be used.")

                  Could you phone on my behalf! :-)

                  I'm a UK based customer of 1and1 and I'm paying 4.99UKP per month plus
                  17.5%VAT for considerably less than this offer!! I'm jealous as hell :-(

                  I've no significant complaints about their service.

                  I can confirm that they are German in origin. A lot of their FAQ pages,
                  show a lot of mis-spelling and other strangeness that demonstrates this.

                  My big problem was that I had failed to realise how crippled their "ready to
                  run CGI library" was. I had expected it to be at least the equivalent of my
                  previous hosts, but it isn't. I am now looking for an alternative host
                  where I can get full cgi access, so I can install a script of my liking
                  rather than being forced to accept a "not quite what I want" alternative.
                  At 1and1 that is going to double the charge - an unacceptable level for a
                  small hobby site.

                  As to support... A newbie friend signed up for a Windows hosted account
                  with them, rather than Linux, and found that support was absolutely useless!
                  He couldn't get his FrontPage Extensions to work. They went into "third
                  party problems - turn to them" mode!

                  Greg
                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 24, 2003
                    --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Chapman" <greg@e...>
                    wrote:

                    > I can confirm that they are German in origin. A lot of their FAQ
                    > pages,
                    > show a lot of mis-spelling and other strangeness that demonstrates
                    > this.

                    Somewhere is all the agreement/TOS text it said something about
                    being in, or the agreement being governed by New York law. I didn't
                    notice any misspellings on those pages.

                    > My big problem was that I had failed to realise how crippled
                    > their "ready to
                    > run CGI library" was. I had expected it to be at least the
                    > equivalent of my
                    > previous hosts, but it isn't. I am now looking for an alternative
                    > host
                    > where I can get full cgi access, so I can install a script of my
                    > liking
                    > rather than being forced to accept a "not quite what I want"
                    > alternative.
                    > At 1and1 that is going to double the charge - an unacceptable
                    > level for a small hobby site.

                    Now this part I don't understand. The tiny web space my ISP provides
                    has no script support. I was pretty disappointed because back when I
                    discovered that I was hoping to see a little of my Perl in action.
                    My reading of the 1and1 TOS was that if you use their canned stuff,
                    they charge you, but that you can use your own.

                    Also the bandwith limit sounds like plenty, but I have no idea! I
                    have several interests (e.g., photography, scripting, cooking), I'd
                    probably be inclined to post interesting material and invite fellow
                    hobbyists in open forums. It would probably be a matter of "when it
                    rains, it pours" in terms of hits.

                    I already have a large free space for posting photographs, but am
                    limited to their software and layout. It is sometimes impossibly
                    slow but at other times it flies! There is no bandwith limit, no
                    advertising, and you get up to 200 mb space. Based in the UK, it is
                    http://www.fotopic.net if anyone's interested. They also let you
                    divide your space among multiple public and private galleries, each
                    of which can have a chosen name. My public one is at
                    http://sherisg3.fotopic.net . I have a couple of private ones for
                    sharing family photos. Great deal which I hope will continue.
                    They've recently added some fee-based services.

                    Sheri
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 24, 2003
                      Hi Sheri,

                      > Somewhere is all the agreement/TOS text it said something about
                      > being in, or the agreement being governed by New York law. I didn't
                      > notice any misspellings on those pages.

                      That may be it! I am referring to http://www.1and1.co.uk, which is all
                      priced in UKP and looks thoroughly English, initially!

                      > Now this part I don't understand. The tiny web space my ISP provides
                      > has no script support.

                      Ah! I suspect that the UK is rather different to elsewhere. Thanks to the
                      de-regulation of our telephone system some time back, we have an unusual
                      situation.

                      In order to help break up the privatised government monopoly it was forced
                      to pay those organisations who set up businesses which generated traffic on
                      their network. ISPs found it cost less to buy/run a rack of modems and a
                      server or two than they generated through inbound calls. Result: Masses of
                      no-subscription ISPs arrived on the UK scene, who also provided a healthy
                      chunk of advert-free web space and ready to run scripts for stuff like hit
                      counters and basic forms. Yes, you had to pay for the phone call but, at
                      that stage, that wasn't a problem in the UK market where we were never used
                      to free local calls.

                      Now things have changed a bit and most people pay an ISP subscription in
                      order to get flat monthly fee connections to their ISP, so avoiding the
                      unexpected big phone bill. For 99% of domestic users, the web space
                      allowances and scripts, such as they were, and bandwidth allowances, if
                      published, were much bigger than needed. Businesses, however, did need more
                      and a completely separate market developed for additional facilities. Being
                      aimed at businesses, charges could be correspondingly high - hence the kinds
                      of prices than I am paying! :-(

                      > I already have a large free space for posting photographs
                      > http://sherisg3.fotopic.net . I have a couple of private ones for
                      > sharing family photos. Great deal which I hope will continue.
                      > They've recently added some fee-based services.

                      I guess this is one of those companies that is still in its build a name,
                      grab a share of the market phase. The market is maturing rapidly with the
                      roll-out of broadband - still a rarity, here. Maybe they foresee a business
                      opportunity a couple of years down the line as everybody moves over to
                      broadband.

                      Greg
                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 24, 2003
                        Watch out, they will start billing you automatiically on your phone bill.
                        --

                        ~~~
                        Jeff Scism, IBSSG

                        http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
                        http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~scismfam/
                        http://www.rootsweb.com/~inmontgo/
                        http://www.rootsweb.com/~nvchurch/
                      • Alec Burgess
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 28, 2003
                          Good point Jeff, I've just put a tickler in my Ecco file for Nov 20th 2006
                          :-)
                          Regards ... Alec