Re: [NTO] Twain not!

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
      Found it! Isn't that typical? As soon as one asks a question one stumbles over the answer. I thought I should post it if someone else has the same problem. I found it in the help file of the program I use to download images.

      Quoting Chris Breeze:
      _____________
      You can modify how programs respond to camera events
      by clicking on "Scanners and Cameras" in the Control
      Panel and then clicking on the icon for your camera
      (on Windows XP "Scanners and Cameras" are located
      under the "Printers and Other Hardware" category in
      the Control Panel). If only one application is
      selected, as in the dialog shown below, that
      application will be launched when the event is
      detected. If more than one application is selected you
      will be prompted to chose which application to launch
      when the event occurs.
      _______________

      There are nice little check boxes that can be unchecked. Bye-bye Imaging! :-)))

      Lotta
    • R Shapp
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
        Hi Lotta,

        In my instance of WinXP Home, "Scanners and Cameras" is a separate folder
        within Control Panel. That may just be the result of an option I chose when
        Dell installed my Operating System. In my case the printers folder is labeled
        "Printers and Faxes".

        Thanks for posting the solution to your own question. I learned from it.

        Regards,

        Ray Shapp
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
          Ray,

          At 05:30 PM 12/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Lotta,
          >
          >In my instance of WinXP Home, "Scanners and Cameras" is a separate folder
          >within Control Panel. That may just be the result of an option I chose when
          >Dell installed my Operating System. In my case the printers folder is labeled
          >"Printers and Faxes".

          FWIW

          It wasn't an option you selected, what you have is standard for XP.

          Lotta is still using the old XP prototype called Win 2000. :-)

          Which is soon to be NEXT on the list for extinction.

          I heard yesterday that MS is going to stop selling and supporting 95 & 98 in one month.

          After the first of the year they will join WFW3.11 and Win 3.1 and anyone who ran them will be able to swap war stories and will be considered ancient. :-)

          Here is what Peter Coffee had to say about it. :-)

          Good Riddance Win 98

          A Purer Gene Pool
          Architect Frank Lloyd Wright once famously said that "a doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." Windows 98 planted vines to obscure the awkward lines of a graphical environment grafted onto a crude DOS foundation. It's time to bury it.
          Windows 98 has more than a dozen users, to be sure, but it also does some dreadfully stupid things with memory and task management that we do well to purge from the software gene pool. The reliability and security of the platforms that we offer to future users depend on deep-sixing dead tech.

          Technology Editor Peter Coffee's e-mail address is peter_coffee@....

          Lotta and all of the other 2K users (the other 3or 4 <G> are still okay for a bit yet.
          The next full-fledged upgrade to Windows XP, code-named Windows "Longhorn," is not expected to debut until 2006 at the earliest.

          In the mean time Microsoft Corp. executives have kicked off the campaign for the company's next big Windows push: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

          During the past couple of years, Microsoft execs have claimed that service packs should comprise bug fixes only, not new features. But with SP2, that policy seems to be going by the wayside.
          Earlier this year, Microsoft was on a path to deliver the final version of SP2 this fall. Several beta versions of the service pack went to testers in the spring. But around midyear, company execs changed course and decided to add new features, in addition to the myriad bug fixes on tap, to the SP2 release.

          In a Webcast Tuesday morning, Microsoft Security Business Unit Vice President Mike Nash said to expect the service pack—a major release—to enhance security in four ways. It will remedy open ports, malicious e-mail attachments, malicious Web content and buffer overrun attacks, Nash said.

          Other new features on tap for XP SP2 include the following:
          Pop-up manager: Pop-up manager is a pop-up blocker that will allow Internet Explorer to detect that a pop-up or pop-up under a window is unwanted. But users will need to turn on this feature, as pop-up blocking will be turned off by default.
          Buffer overrun protection: By compiling all of the code changed since XP was released using the latest Visual Studio compiler, Microsoft is claiming it will reduce buffer overrun vulnerabilities.
          Accidental download/program installation blocking: Internet Explorer will be set in SP2 to block potentially malicious Web site downloads.
          Updated versions of code supporting the Bluetooth wireless standard; DirectX 9.0b; Windows Media Player 9 Series; and unified wireless local-area network client.
          Enhanced file attachment handling in Outlook Express and Windows Messenger: Outlook Express will no longer download external content (such as graphics) in HTML mail by default

          SP2 will include a greatly enhanced version of Microsoft's Internet Connection Firewall (renamed "Windows Firewall") that will allow users greater control over the Internet access of their applications, Nash said.