Twain not!

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 15, 2003
      Hi!

      Seems like almost every twain capable program registers itself for camera events. When I plug my camera in a get this long list of programs fighting over my images. Anyone knows where this is stored so I can kill the unwanted apps? I searched the registry for "twain", all I could come up with, but that brought no luck.

      Thanks,
      Lotta
    • Jim Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
        Lotta,

        At 08:24 AM 12/16/2003 +0100, you wrote:
        >Hi!
        >
        >Seems like almost every twain capable program registers itself for camera events. When I plug my camera in a get this long list of programs fighting over my images. Anyone knows where this is stored so I can kill the unwanted apps? I searched the registry for "twain", all I could come up with, but that brought no luck.

        I think what you might be looking for is in the Folder Options under file types.

        Find the extension for the files that are giving you grief and click on change which will open the "Open With" window.

        Select the program that you want to use for that extension and put a checkmark in the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" checkbox.

        Then instead of a list of choices, the program you designated will open automatically.

        It doesn't have anything to do with the Twain.dll file.

        Regards,

        Jim
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
          Jim Hall wrote:
          >I think what you might be looking for is in the Folder Options under file types.

          Thanks, but I'm not talking about associations. Some image editors that are capable of acquiring and downloading files from a camera have an option to register them for camera events. Meaning that the instance you plug a camera into the computer a box automatically pops up with all the programs that are registered for camera events listed and you can have your choice. The box is labelled "Event on device: <camera name>".

          All programs aren't nice about it but add themselves silently and the list can become long and make it harder to find the program you really want. Mostly I don't want the box to pop up at all. It doesn't help to unregister the nice programs because others, like Windows Imaging, stay registered.

          Hope that was clearer!
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
            Found it! Isn't that typical? As soon as one asks a question one stumbles over the answer. I thought I should post it if someone else has the same problem. I found it in the help file of the program I use to download images.

            Quoting Chris Breeze:
            _____________
            You can modify how programs respond to camera events
            by clicking on "Scanners and Cameras" in the Control
            Panel and then clicking on the icon for your camera
            (on Windows XP "Scanners and Cameras" are located
            under the "Printers and Other Hardware" category in
            the Control Panel). If only one application is
            selected, as in the dialog shown below, that
            application will be launched when the event is
            detected. If more than one application is selected you
            will be prompted to chose which application to launch
            when the event occurs.
            _______________

            There are nice little check boxes that can be unchecked. Bye-bye Imaging! :-)))

            Lotta
          • R Shapp
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
              Hi Lotta,

              In my instance of WinXP Home, "Scanners and Cameras" is a separate folder
              within Control Panel. That may just be the result of an option I chose when
              Dell installed my Operating System. In my case the printers folder is labeled
              "Printers and Faxes".

              Thanks for posting the solution to your own question. I learned from it.

              Regards,

              Ray Shapp
            • Jim Hall
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
                Ray,

                At 05:30 PM 12/16/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi Lotta,
                >
                >In my instance of WinXP Home, "Scanners and Cameras" is a separate folder
                >within Control Panel. That may just be the result of an option I chose when
                >Dell installed my Operating System. In my case the printers folder is labeled
                >"Printers and Faxes".

                FWIW

                It wasn't an option you selected, what you have is standard for XP.

                Lotta is still using the old XP prototype called Win 2000. :-)

                Which is soon to be NEXT on the list for extinction.

                I heard yesterday that MS is going to stop selling and supporting 95 & 98 in one month.

                After the first of the year they will join WFW3.11 and Win 3.1 and anyone who ran them will be able to swap war stories and will be considered ancient. :-)

                Here is what Peter Coffee had to say about it. :-)

                Good Riddance Win 98

                A Purer Gene Pool
                Architect Frank Lloyd Wright once famously said that "a doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." Windows 98 planted vines to obscure the awkward lines of a graphical environment grafted onto a crude DOS foundation. It's time to bury it.
                Windows 98 has more than a dozen users, to be sure, but it also does some dreadfully stupid things with memory and task management that we do well to purge from the software gene pool. The reliability and security of the platforms that we offer to future users depend on deep-sixing dead tech.

                Technology Editor Peter Coffee's e-mail address is peter_coffee@....

                Lotta and all of the other 2K users (the other 3or 4 <G> are still okay for a bit yet.
                The next full-fledged upgrade to Windows XP, code-named Windows "Longhorn," is not expected to debut until 2006 at the earliest.

                In the mean time Microsoft Corp. executives have kicked off the campaign for the company's next big Windows push: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

                During the past couple of years, Microsoft execs have claimed that service packs should comprise bug fixes only, not new features. But with SP2, that policy seems to be going by the wayside.
                Earlier this year, Microsoft was on a path to deliver the final version of SP2 this fall. Several beta versions of the service pack went to testers in the spring. But around midyear, company execs changed course and decided to add new features, in addition to the myriad bug fixes on tap, to the SP2 release.

                In a Webcast Tuesday morning, Microsoft Security Business Unit Vice President Mike Nash said to expect the service pack—a major release—to enhance security in four ways. It will remedy open ports, malicious e-mail attachments, malicious Web content and buffer overrun attacks, Nash said.

                Other new features on tap for XP SP2 include the following:
                Pop-up manager: Pop-up manager is a pop-up blocker that will allow Internet Explorer to detect that a pop-up or pop-up under a window is unwanted. But users will need to turn on this feature, as pop-up blocking will be turned off by default.
                Buffer overrun protection: By compiling all of the code changed since XP was released using the latest Visual Studio compiler, Microsoft is claiming it will reduce buffer overrun vulnerabilities.
                Accidental download/program installation blocking: Internet Explorer will be set in SP2 to block potentially malicious Web site downloads.
                Updated versions of code supporting the Bluetooth wireless standard; DirectX 9.0b; Windows Media Player 9 Series; and unified wireless local-area network client.
                Enhanced file attachment handling in Outlook Express and Windows Messenger: Outlook Express will no longer download external content (such as graphics) in HTML mail by default

                SP2 will include a greatly enhanced version of Microsoft's Internet Connection Firewall (renamed "Windows Firewall") that will allow users greater control over the Internet access of their applications, Nash said.