Fresh install of WinXP home

  • mcmaier
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 21, 2003
      My computer is dying and will be replaced with (ugh) WinXP Home and a new computer. I've been looking into Partition Magic to divide 2 hard drives. I'm told that the best way to do this is uninstall WINXP, install PM and reinstall WinXP.

      Before I jump into this river, how difficult is it to re-install XP? Is it uninstalled from AD/REMOVE like Win98? Do I just insert the OS disc and let it do its thing, or am I getting into a very big problem?

      Opinions?
      Marie M

    • lmh@hamiltongensociety.org
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 21, 2003
        Marie,

        I have Partition Magic, and WinXP Home. There is no need to uninstall WinXP
        Home and reinstall before installing Partition Magic. You will want to
        defragment the hard drive before and after installing Partition Magic to make
        sure that the files are in order and towards the front of the drive.

        I would suggest partitioning the drive before you load any other programs or
        data, just in case. This way, if something did go wrong, you would only have
        the operating system and Partition Magic to lose. It also makes for less disk
        fragmentation if only the OS and Partition Magic or on the PC.

        I even used Partition Magic to help me dual-boot with Red Hat Linux 7.2.

        With a big enough hard drive, you can use Partition Magic to multi-boot any
        number of operating systems. I saw a kid on TechTV about a year ago that
        managed to get 30 some OSes on one PC. It took lots of big hard drives. I do
        not think he used Partition Magic, but you get the idea.

        Hope this helps.

        Larry Hamilton

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 21, 2003
          Hi Mary,

          >My computer is dying and will be replaced with (ugh) WinXP Home
          >and a new computer. I've been looking into Partition Magic to
          >divide 2 hard drives. I'm told that the best way to do this is
          >uninstall WINXP, install PM and reinstall WinXP.

          Unless PQMagic can now be run in Windows, then you run it from a
          floppy disk after you boot up from a floppy. If you have Win98
          still running, you want to make a startup disk now. It is easiest
          that way. I'm not booted up in Win98 presently, but I think you
          go to the Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel and there is a
          tab there to make a startup disk. There is no reason to install
          XP, remove it and reinstall. Just bootup on the floppy disk for
          Windows, put in the floppy disk with PQMagic on it and type:
          pqmagic It'll take a minute or so to start running, but then you
          can divide it up however you like. If the drive is brand new you
          will most likely have to format it also. The tools that are
          available in PQMagic are highlighted and those that are not it
          means that you cannot perform that operation at this time in your
          process.

          If you want to install XP first, you can do so, and you can still
          divide your drive up. Just make sure you have plenty of free
          space left in the XP side of the drive so that it doesn't get
          wiped out. Say you have a 20GB drive, the most (and playing it
          very safe) would be 5GB to lease, bit it is a lot less than that.
          If you install XP first, do a defrag on it to move all the files
          together just for a safety measure.

          PQMagic will do multiple operations at one time, well, one after
          each other. In other words you can tell it to Format and Resize
          and it carries out one then the other. OK, so you tell it to
          Format or maybe it is Create - you'll know because it is about
          the only operation available. So, you tell it to put that in
          queue so to speak. then you do a Resize/Move. You'll see the
          graphs come up and then resize. You'll understand when you get
          there.

          Oh, speaking of getting there, add your Mouse.* DOS files on the
          floppy so you can type in mouse at the DOS command prompt so you
          have mouse support when in PQMagic. (I can send them to you if
          you want, but I take no credit on damage in the mail. :)

          Anyway, that's about it unless you just take that Win98 startup
          floppy disk and and use "fdisk" and "format" when you boot up.
          They will do the same thing you are attempting to do and it is a
          whole lot cheaper if you are only going to split a drive into two
          parts. Just type in: fdisk and do the numbers it has there -
          you'll understand, you type in 1, 2, 3, or 4. I forget exactly
          what you do, but you basically do #1 to make a partition and then
          split it I believe, Jim Hall will correct me if I'm wrong <g>, so
          that you have an extended partition. I think it wants the size
          now and you will probably get asked about Windows supporting
          large drives o say yes to that I believe and then you put the
          numbers in. Don't worry about messing up because you can simply
          delete them if wrong. Like if it will only let you make the
          secondary partition 2048Mb, then answer the question the other
          way after deleting. :-)

          Well, got to run.

          >Before I jump into this river, how difficult is it to re-install
          >XP? Is it uninstalled from AD/REMOVE like Win98? Do I just
          >insert the OS disc and let it do its thing, or am I getting into
          >a very big problem?

          You format the drive to uninstall an OP unless it is in another
          logical drive on a muti OS system like Win9 and XP. If you
          haven't installed it, then don't worry about it. If you already
          have stuff on a drive that you are keeping, then you need to
          explain to the list where you are at exactly. :) If you have
          Win98 installed on the drive and you would like to keep it, then
          I would use PQMagic to split the drive leaving Win98 installed
          and slip it to install XP doing a Custom install.

          Jim, if you are reading this I found how you install Win98
          *after* XP. I stumbled across it. You simply bootup on a 98
          startup disk and run Win9 setup from there. You need to have a
          logical drive with enough space on it.

          All Fookes Software mailing lists:
          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        • mcmaier
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 22, 2003
            Jody, thanks ever so much. I was unclear on my intentions I think. I will
            be getting a NEW computer with 2 drives, and that's what I want to
            partition. This one has had 3 Win98 reinstalls, and I don't want to do any
            more with it.

            I have found out from Dell, that I cannot get a new computer without the OS
            being installed, so I either have to uninstall that, add Partition Magic
            (version 8) to divide both new drives and reinstall WinXP, or to follow
            Larry's suggestions, which were very hopeful. However, I understand there
            is an "Adminsitrative Tools" function that allows partitions. I'll look into
            that and see if I can manage not to botch up anything. I'd like to use PM
            for the second drive and I need to find out if that can be put on after or
            before the OS is partitioned manually. Larry's suggestion seems to be to
            put in on before.

            I really don't want to uninstall XP and will try to avoid that. However, if
            reinstalling is just like adding any other program I'd give it a try,
            especially if that would enable better use of PM, but I'm afraid it's really
            going to be more complicated than that.

            In general, I want to put the OS and page file in one partition, and the
            rest for some exe's like Notetab Pro, Norton's, Ftp and data. The 2nd drive
            would have partitions for Photoshop, Scratch disc, psd's, website, ARV,
            Html4 , extra-photos, and miscellaneous (Winzip, notepad files,). Each
            drive would be 80GB. Partitions are not definite--just a rough estimate at
            the present time.

            Thanks so much for great suggestions. I'm printing out everything until I
            have to finally get in there and do it!
            With appreciation,
            Marie M
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 22, 2003
              Hi mcmaier,

              I must have missed Larry's post, but in short, you *do not* have
              to uninstall XP. Just leave enough room for PQMagic to work with.
              A few GB is plenty, but it depends on how big your drive is and
              where you want to split it. I think one of the reasons they call
              it PQMagic is because you can split drives containing data on it.
              I do it all the time and I only have v5.x.

              >Jody, thanks ever so much. I was unclear on my intentions I
              >think. I will be getting a NEW computer with 2 drives, and
              >that's what I want to partition. This one has had 3 Win98
              >reinstalls, and I don't want to do any more with it.
              >However, I understand there is an "Adminsitrative Tools" function
              >that allows partitions. I'll look into that and see if I can
              >manage not to botch up anything. I'd like to use PM for the
              >second drive and I need to find out if that can be put on after
              >or before the OS is partitioned manually. Larry's suggestion
              >seems to be to put in on before.

              Yes, just split the drive with XP installed. If you want data off
              the old drive (FAT 32) I suspect, you might not want to format
              the drive using NSTS or whatever that is. You can convert the
              drive later if you want (I think). <g> Just look that up in
              Windows Help. I don't think you can switch back to FAT32, but I'm
              not sure. Windows XP explains it. If you want us to copy the Help
              file on it, I'm sure somebody will. (You might not be able to run
              Win9 programs on it either. That is why I stick with FAT32 on
              some of my drives also so that I can run those programs.

              >I really don't want to uninstall XP and will try to avoid that.

              You "uninstall" OS' by formatting the drive. It uninstalls everything. <bg>

              Take care,
              Jody Adair

              and even thou doest err some!
              http://clean-funnies.com
              http://notetab.net, http://fookes.us
              http://sojourners-software.com
            • Dennis Cummins
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 22, 2003
                On Saturday, November 22, 2003 at 13:31, Jody wrote:

                > Hi mcmaier,
                >
                > I must have missed Larry's post, but in short, you *do not* have
                > to uninstall XP. Just leave enough room for PQMagic to work with.
                > A few GB is plenty, but it depends on how big your drive is and
                > where you want to split it. I think one of the reasons they call
                > it PQMagic is because you can split drives containing data on it.
                > I do it all the time and I only have v5.x.

                I did not think Version 5 worked with XP??

                > >Jody, thanks ever so much. I was unclear on my intentions I
                > >think. I will be getting a NEW computer with 2 drives, and
                > >that's what I want to partition. This one has had 3 Win98
                > >reinstalls, and I don't want to do any more with it.
                > >However, I understand there is an "Adminsitrative Tools" function
                > >that allows partitions. I'll look into that and see if I can
                > >manage not to botch up anything. I'd like to use PM for the
                > >second drive and I need to find out if that can be put on after
                > >or before the OS is partitioned manually. Larry's suggestion
                > >seems to be to put in on before.
                >
                > Yes, just split the drive with XP installed. If you want data off
                > the old drive (FAT 32) I suspect, you might not want to format
                > the drive using NSTS or whatever that is. You can convert the
                > drive later if you want (I think). <g> Just look that up in
                > Windows Help. I don't think you can switch back to FAT32, but I'm
                > not sure. Windows XP explains it. If you want us to copy the Help
                > file on it, I'm sure somebody will. (You might not be able to run
                > Win9 programs on it either. That is why I stick with FAT32 on
                > some of my drives also so that I can run those programs.

                All your 98 apps should work fine with NTFS. The apps do not really care
                how what filing system is being used.

                Sure you can convert back to FAT 32 but you need to use something like
                Partition Magic.

                --
                Dennis
              • mcmaier
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 22, 2003
                  A question: What is PQMagic--an earlier version of Partition Magic?
                  Also---my friend has loaned me a copy of WinXP User Guide, so I'll be able
                  to look up info in there before I order my PC.

                  I'm feeling excited about learning to partition--it makes a lot of sense.
                  Thanks much for the input....I'm adding all to my "collective knowledge"
                  pile..................MM
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 22, 2003
                    Hi Dennis

                    >> I do it all the time and I only have v5.x.
                    >
                    >I did not think Version 5 worked with XP??

                    Like a charm. You're in DOS I split the drive with Win9 though and
                    then loaded WinXP. It has all the correct formatting back from when
                    Win2k was out.

                    >> file on it, I'm sure somebody will. (You might not be able to run
                    >> Win98 programs on it either. That is why I stick with FAT32 on
                    >> some of my drives also so that I can run those programs.
                    >
                    >All your 98 apps should work fine with NTFS. The apps do not really
                    >care
                    >how what filing system is being used.
                    >
                    >Sure you can convert back to FAT 32 but you need to use something like
                    >Partition Magic.

                    Maybe that is how I switch back since some of my Win9 progs would not run.
                    I think we discussed this already, but I can only go by what happened to me. :)

                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 22, 2003
                      On Saturday, November 22, 2003 at 15:25, mcmaier wrote:

                      > A question: What is PQMagic--an earlier version of Partition Magic?

                      PQMagic is for running Partition Magic in DOS.

                      --
                      Dennis
                    • Dennis Cummins
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 22, 2003
                        Hi Jody,

                        On Saturday, November 22, 2003 at 14:27, Jody wrote:

                        > >> I do it all the time and I only have v5.x.
                        > >
                        > >I did not think Version 5 worked with XP??
                        >
                        > Like a charm. You're in DOS I split the drive with Win9 though and
                        > then loaded WinXP. It has all the correct formatting back from when
                        > Win2k was out.

                        I was wondering if it will actually run in the XP GUI ok. I was thinking that
                        it would not do that.

                        > >> file on it, I'm sure somebody will. (You might not be able to run
                        > >> Win98 programs on it either. That is why I stick with FAT32 on
                        > >> some of my drives also so that I can run those programs.
                        > >
                        > >All your 98 apps should work fine with NTFS. The apps do not really
                        > >care
                        > >how what filing system is being used.
                        > >
                        > >Sure you can convert back to FAT 32 but you need to use something like
                        > >Partition Magic.
                        >
                        > Maybe that is how I switch back since some of my Win9 progs would not run.
                        > I think we discussed this already, but I can only go by what happened to
                        > me. :)

                        I like NTFS ok. I switched to it and have not ever went back.

                        --
                        Dennis
                      • Larry Hamilton
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 23, 2003
                          mcmaier wrote:
                          > I'd like to use PM for the second drive and
                          > I need to find out if that can be put on after or before the OS is
                          > partitioned manually. Larry's suggestion seems to be to put in on
                          > before.

                          Please re-read what I wrote. You MUST have an OS installed to use Partition
                          Magic as I understand it.

                          Larry Hamilton
                        • mcmaier
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 23, 2003
                            Photoshop users have said a "clean install" first, and add PM. I've asked PM
                            the same question and hope to get an answer soon.....

                            I've also read about using Administrative Tools>Computer Management etc....
                            to do partitioning when fresh installing from BIOS using CD as the
                            installer.

                            Anyone done this?
                          • Brian Binder
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 23, 2003
                              Not true. I don't use PM in Native Windows environments. I use PM on a bootable CD and do everything I need to do from the PM loader. I haven't ever needed to install PM in Windows to do anything with partitioning and/or conversions.

                              Remember that partitioning is independant of the OS. The OS is dependant on the partition. The partitioning operations are not dependant on the OS.

                              http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 23, 2003
                                Hi Brian, Larry, Dennis, Mary... +++, :)

                                I too have only used PQMagic from a floppy booted up in DOS. In
                                fact, that is the only way you could use in in v5 and before.
                                Well, you could install it on the hard drive and bootup in DOS,
                                then start it from there, but you are still in DOS. PQMagic would
                                let you run it in Windows, but you would be told that no changes
                                could be made. Obviously, you don't want to run it off a drive
                                that you will be formatting. <g> I know you can bootup in DOS and
                                then put in the PQMagic floppy (or CD now I suppose) and type in
                                pqmagic and it will load. (Like I said, I always have mouse.com,
                                mouse.drv, and mouse.exe on the floppy and type in mouse at the
                                prompt to load the drivers so I can use it in DOS inside PQMagic.)

                                Dennis, I have not tried, but I don't think PQMagic would care if
                                XP is on a drive and you partition that drive as long as you are
                                in DOS. PQMagic is just moving files around if need be and
                                splitting the drive where you tell it. Files that are on both
                                side of the drive where you tell it to split will just be
                                connected/moved to side of the drive. You know all this though
                                Dennis. :) I say just bootup in DOS and split the drive. I would
                                boot up in XP since that will be loaded and do a defrag to move
                                the files to the upper part of the drive so when the drive was
                                split you won't take much of a chance of loosing any data. I do
                                split them all the time though with data on both sides. PQMagic
                                just does its thing. :)

                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 23, 2003
                                  Hi Dennis,

                                  >> You're in DOS I split the drive with Win98 though and then
                                  >> loaded WinXP. It has all the correct formatting back from when
                                  >> Win2k was out.
                                  >
                                  >I was wondering if it will actually run in the XP GUI ok. I was
                                  >thinking that it would not do that.

                                  PQMagic 5 will not run as a GUI in XP at all. I remember it would
                                  in like Win98, but you could just play with the buttons; it would
                                  not make any changes.

                                  >> > All your 98 apps should work fine with NTFS. The apps do not
                                  >> > really care how what filing system is being used.

                                  I think I said it wrong...

                                  >> > Sure you can convert back to FAT 32 but you need to use
                                  >> > something like Partition Magic.
                                  >>
                                  >> Maybe that is how I switch back since some of my Win9 progs
                                  >> would not run. I think we discussed this already, but I can
                                  >> only go by what happened to me. :)
                                  >
                                  >I like NTFS ok. I switched to it and have not ever went back.

                                  I think I remember what happened to me. I partitioned a drive as
                                  NTFS and had my other physical drive partitioned as FAT32. It was
                                  that second drive that could not be seen when I booted up in
                                  WinXP which was on the first drive. Seems to me the logical
                                  drives were acting the same way. I know I had to fall back to
                                  FAT32 in order to see them.

                                  See ya in the funnies!

                                  http://www.clean-funnies.com

                                  you missed a good joke! 8D

                                  The NoteTabbers Assistant Page
                                  http://www.notetab.net
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 23, 2003
                                    Hi MM,

                                    >> I'd like to use PM for the second drive and I need to find out
                                    >> if that can be put on after or before the OS is partitioned
                                    >> manually. Larry's suggestion seems to be to put in on before.

                                    I don't know about the newer versions of PQMagic, but you seem
                                    like you wan to load/install PQMagic onto the drive itself. I
                                    think I did it that way a few times, but still ran it in DOS. You
                                    don't really want to run it on the drive you will be
                                    editing/splitting, at least I would not. To me, it would be like
                                    the dentist drilling on a tooth while you are trying to talk to
                                    him. :) I don't remember you mentioning how big the drive is???
                                    Personally, I would bootup (start your computer) from a Win98
                                    floppy disk. I say Win98, because it is the easiest one to get.

                                    If I understand correctly, you have to download something to make
                                    a WinXP start up disk. I know from what I can find only a DOS
                                    bootup disk can be made from XP. (I forget the files that has to
                                    go on it like sys *.*, but maybe it can be done that way. I've
                                    always just used my Win98 with CD support. I think I'll get the
                                    information from MS about making a WinXP startup disk now that I
                                    am thinking about it. bye :)

                                    bcnu,
                                    jody

                                    I can only please one person a day.
                                    Today is obviously not your day.
                                    Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8D
                                    http://www.clean-funnies.com
                                    http://www.notetab.net
                                    http://www.sojourners-software.com
                                  • Dennis Cummins
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 23, 2003
                                      Hi Jody,

                                      On Sunday, November 23, 2003 at 17:58, Jody wrote:

                                      > >I was wondering if it will actually run in the XP GUI ok. I was
                                      > >thinking that it would not do that.
                                      >
                                      > PQMagic 5 will not run as a GUI in XP at all. I remember it would in
                                      > like Win98, but you could just play with the buttons; it would not
                                      > make any changes.

                                      Ok.

                                      > I think I said it wrong...

                                      Ok.

                                      > >> Maybe that is how I switch back since some of my Win9 progs
                                      > >> would not run. I think we discussed this already, but I can
                                      > >> only go by what happened to me. :)
                                      > >
                                      > >I like NTFS ok. I switched to it and have not ever went back.
                                      >
                                      > I think I remember what happened to me. I partitioned a drive as NTFS
                                      > and had my other physical drive partitioned as FAT32. It was that
                                      > second drive that could not be seen when I booted up in WinXP which
                                      > was on the first drive. Seems to me the logical drives were acting the
                                      > same way. I know I had to fall back to FAT32 in order to see them.

                                      The only thing I have here that is NTFS is the XP partition. XP can
                                      read all the partitions.

                                      If I boot to 98, now it cannot see the XP partition. But that is ok
                                      with me.

                                      --
                                      Dennis
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 23, 2003
                                        Hi Dennis,

                                        >> I think I remember what happened to me. I partitioned a drive
                                        >> as NTFS and had my other physical drive partitioned as FAT32.
                                        >> It was that second drive that could not be seen when I booted
                                        >> up in WinXP which was on the first drive. Seems to me the
                                        >> logical drives were acting the same way. I know I had to fall
                                        >> back to FAT32 in order to see them.
                                        >>
                                        >The only thing I have here that is NTFS is the XP partition. XP
                                        >can read all the partitions.
                                        >
                                        >If I boot to 98, now it cannot see the XP partition. But that
                                        >is ok with me.

                                        Maybe that was all it was. I just remember I had to back out of
                                        something that scared me a tad bit. I though I had lost "all that
                                        stuff." :) Who knows, maybe it was just one of those things that
                                        happened that was not suppose to or visa versa.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 23, 2003
                                          Hi Jody,

                                          On Sunday, November 23, 2003 at 18:31, Jody wrote:

                                          > >The only thing I have here that is NTFS is the XP partition. XP
                                          > >can read all the partitions.
                                          > >
                                          > >If I boot to 98, now it cannot see the XP partition. But that
                                          > >is ok with me.
                                          >
                                          > Maybe that was all it was. I just remember I had to back out of
                                          > something that scared me a tad bit. I though I had lost "all that
                                          > stuff." :) Who knows, maybe it was just one of those things that
                                          > happened that was not suppose to or visa versa.

                                          Get this little app,

                                          Active@ NTFS Reader for DOS

                                          http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/8/13-8-41.shtml

                                          NTFS Reader for DOS is a freeware tool that provides read access to
                                          NTFS partitions within the MS-DOS environment. You can preview files on
                                          NTFS and copy files from NTFS to FAT volumes or network drives.

                                          --
                                          Dennis
                                        • SabitraSabrina
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 24, 2003
                                            do not email me again

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 24, 2003
                                              dont fucken email me again

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 24, 2003
                                                At 11/24/2003 09:28 -0800, SabitraSabrina wrote:

                                                fyi:
                                                I have not only unsubscribed this person, instead of telling them how to do
                                                it, I've also banned them from the list. The language of the other message
                                                that was totally inappropriate for this list.

                                                Julie

                                                >do not email me again
                                              • Dart Chris
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 25, 2003
                                                  Isn't it nice how polite some people can be