RE: [NTO] Power Desk 5

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2003
      I shared the same opinion...until I tried Directory Opus.

    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2003
        Hello Mordechai,

        I agree with Brian. I have both PowerDesk 5 and Directory Opus on an
        XP Pro system, and even though DOpus is pricier (if I remember right
        it's about $70 American) than PowerDesk, it has far more features and
        power. Plus unlike what I've experienced with PowerDesk, the DOpus
        developers are exceptionally active in improving their product.

        So I guess I'm saying if money is tight, you can't go wrong with
        PowerDesk, but if you have a little extra to invest, you'll be
        happier with DOpus. Or at least that's been my experience as one
        who's invested in both file managers.

        John

        --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>
        wrote:
        > I shared the same opinion...until I tried Directory Opus.

      • Larry Hamilton
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2003
          I had not heard of this one, a quick Google search reveals their web
          address:

          http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

          It looks like they have a 25% off sale right now, prices are not on the main
          page.

          Larry

          John Zeman wrote:
          > Hello Mordechai,
          >
          > I agree with Brian. I have both PowerDesk 5 and Directory Opus on an
          > XP Pro system, and even though DOpus is pricier (if I remember right
          > it's about $70 American) than PowerDesk, it has far more features and
          > power. Plus unlike what I've experienced with PowerDesk, the DOpus
          > developers are exceptionally active in improving their product.
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2003
            For died in the wool PD users: The original authors of PowerDesk have bought
            the source and rights (non-exclusive) from the current owners and are
            intending to take it forward under the name ExplorerPlus. Their current
            release X+ 6 is mostly bug fixes and a couple of minor UI changes from PD5.
            They seem to have big plans for the next release which will be ExplorerPlus
            7.0

            If you've paid for current PD5, there is probably not much reason to pay
            again to get X+ but *to the original poster* if contemplating getting the
            Pro version (necessary if you want access to the QuickViewPlus features) it
            would be worth checking out ExplorerPlus: http://www.novatix.com/

            Regards ... Alec