Power Desk 5

  • Paul M. King
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2003
      Moredechai:

      I have used Power Desk through three versions. It is far superior to Windows Explore with many more options and refinements. And it's the best of all third party file managers I have tried in the last ten years. It's easy to learn and one program I can't do without.

      Paul King

    • Brian Binder
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 14, 2003
        I shared the same opinion...until I tried Directory Opus.

      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2003
          Hello Mordechai,

          I agree with Brian. I have both PowerDesk 5 and Directory Opus on an
          XP Pro system, and even though DOpus is pricier (if I remember right
          it's about $70 American) than PowerDesk, it has far more features and
          power. Plus unlike what I've experienced with PowerDesk, the DOpus
          developers are exceptionally active in improving their product.

          So I guess I'm saying if money is tight, you can't go wrong with
          PowerDesk, but if you have a little extra to invest, you'll be
          happier with DOpus. Or at least that's been my experience as one
          who's invested in both file managers.

          John

          --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Binder" <bbinder@i...>
          wrote:
          > I shared the same opinion...until I tried Directory Opus.

        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2003
            I had not heard of this one, a quick Google search reveals their web
            address:

            http://www.gpsoft.com.au/

            It looks like they have a 25% off sale right now, prices are not on the main
            page.

            Larry

            John Zeman wrote:
            > Hello Mordechai,
            >
            > I agree with Brian. I have both PowerDesk 5 and Directory Opus on an
            > XP Pro system, and even though DOpus is pricier (if I remember right
            > it's about $70 American) than PowerDesk, it has far more features and
            > power. Plus unlike what I've experienced with PowerDesk, the DOpus
            > developers are exceptionally active in improving their product.
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2003
              For died in the wool PD users: The original authors of PowerDesk have bought
              the source and rights (non-exclusive) from the current owners and are
              intending to take it forward under the name ExplorerPlus. Their current
              release X+ 6 is mostly bug fixes and a couple of minor UI changes from PD5.
              They seem to have big plans for the next release which will be ExplorerPlus
              7.0

              If you've paid for current PD5, there is probably not much reason to pay
              again to get X+ but *to the original poster* if contemplating getting the
              Pro version (necessary if you want access to the QuickViewPlus features) it
              would be worth checking out ExplorerPlus: http://www.novatix.com/

              Regards ... Alec