[NTO] File|Open Window

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2000
      While in NTP, when I click File|Open, the window that appears always
      comes up in List mode and is unsorted. My preference is always Detail
      mode and sorted ascending by file name. I'm not sure that this is a
      NoteTab issue. Whether yea or nay, any suggestions on how to set my
      preference as I described above?

      I'm using NTP4.6a, Win98 on a Pentium II.

      Thanks for the help,

      Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2000
        Hi Ray,

        > While in NTP, when I click File|Open, the window that appears
        > always comes up in List mode and is unsorted. My preference is
        > always Detail mode and sorted ascending by file name. I'm not
        > sure that this is a NoteTab issue. Whether yea or nay, any
        > suggestions on how to set my preference as I described above?

        You can't do that in NoteTab as far as a feature goes - NoteTab
        is not wired to do that. You can use clips to launch Windows
        Explorer though if you wish. I'm too tired now to get into it,
        but if you want myself or somebody else will show you how later
        either on this list or the Clips list.

        Happy Clip'n!
        Jody

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
        mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/list/ntb-clips
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 5, 2000

          I was afraid the File|Open window wasn't a NoteTab issue. Thanks for the
          offer to write a clip but there must be other issues of more pressing
          interest to a greater number of users.

          I'm kinda new at exploring the many features of NTP and I may use this
          question to try my hand at writing a clip to launch Explorer as a
          preliminary to writing a Perl launcher. I want to learn how to write a clip
          that launches other applications because I will need such a facility to run
          a locally installed Perl interpreter. The Perl Script in the "Samples"
          library works on script that is stored in a clip. I will be trying to
          launch my Perl interpreter to run scripts that are stored in separate files
          on my PC.

          Thanks again,

          Ray Shapp
        • RS
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2000
            Hi Ray,

            At 10:29 PM 02/04/00 -0800, you wrote:
            >While in NTP, when I click File|Open, the window that appears always
            >comes up in List mode and is unsorted. My preference is always Detail
            >mode and sorted ascending by file name.

            That is a Windows limitation.

            There's a cute little program, however, that does what you want.

            It's called Let Me See. You can get it from the Windows Annoyances page:

            ftp://ftp.creativelement.com/pub/win95ann/lemmesee.zip

            Regards,

            RS
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2000
              Thank you, RS

              The LemmeSee program is exactly what I need and I will be sending the
              registration fee to: Eric S. Askilsrud,
              E-Mail: erask@...
              http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/erask/

              Until I get confirmation of registration, can you tell me how to get the
              sort by Name in Details view to sort ascending (abc...) versus descending
              (zyx...)

              BTW, I visited the web page and all it says is GONE in big letters and a
              note says there is no forwarding address... If they handle other windows
              annoyances as well as they do with LemmeSee, I'd like to know how to get
              their other little gems

              Thanks again,

              Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2000
                Hi Ray,

                > http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/erask/

                > BTW, I visited the web page and all it says is GONE in big letters
                > and a note says there is no forwarding address... If they handle
                > other windows annoyances as well as they do with LemmeSee, I'd
                > like to know how to get their other little gems

                I searched all over for about an hour one night looking for the
                author and could not find him. :(

                Bye for now,
                Jody Adair
                Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 6, 2000
                  Hi Ray,

                  At 01:42 AM 02/06/00 -0500, you wrote:

                  >The LemmeSee program is exactly what I need and I will be sending the
                  >registration fee to: Eric S. Askilsrud,
                  >E-Mail: erask@...
                  > http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/erask/

                  I'm glad to hear that.

                  Apparently, the author is no longer at any of those addresses.

                  >Until I get confirmation of registration, can you tell me how to get the
                  >sort by Name in Details view to sort ascending (abc...) versus descending
                  >(zyx...)

                  If you click on the Header labeled Names it should toggle the sorting
                  order. (You might need to first click on the list, sometimes.)

                  In addition, if you are having files listed in descending order, it might
                  have something to do with Explorer. You can try to fix it using Tweak UI
                  (MS PowerToys). There, go to the Explorer tab, and in the Settings section
                  check the "Save Window Settings". That will keep your last Explorer
                  settings from one session to the next. Click OK. Having only one Explorer
                  window open, customize it the way you want it; then close it. You can now
                  You can keep it checked if you wish; but then Explorer will always open
                  with the same configuration as the last Explorer window you used: normal
                  size if it was normal, sorted backwards if it was so, etc (I personally
                  keep it checked, but used not to before).

                  >BTW, I visited the web page and all it says is GONE in big letters and a
                  >note says there is no forwarding address... If they handle other windows
                  >annoyances as well as they do with LemmeSee, I'd like to know how to get
                  >their other little gems

                  Here's the link to Windows Annoyances:

                  http://www.creativelement.com/win95ann/

                  Regards,

                  RS
                • Harvey R. Savage
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 6, 2000
                    Hi All,

                    For Lemmesee, double click the shortcut if you have 1, if not create
                    1, and a configuration dialog box will pop up. On the lower left is
                    a 'Starting View' section. In the selection window are startup
                    choices.

                    I set mine to "Type <' this equals sort by extension in ascending
                    order. Another choice 'Name', I suppose that means sort by name.

                    hrs

                    --
                    ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                    ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 22, 2000
                      Hi Ray,

                      > I was afraid the File|Open window wasn't a NoteTab issue.
                      > Thanks for the offer to write a clip but there must be other
                      > issues of more pressing interest to a greater number of users.
                      >
                      > I'm kinda new at exploring the many features of NTP and I may
                      > use this question to try my hand at writing a clip to launch
                      > Explorer

                      Ya know, you could launch Explorer from a pulldown list of your
                      favorite folders and then do a drag/drop into NoteTab.

                      Happy Off-Topic'n!

                      mailto:NoteTab-OT-Subscribe@...
                    • Carl Swann
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 23, 2000
                        Jody wrote:

                        > Ya know, you could launch Explorer from a pulldown list of your
                        > favorite folders and then do a drag/drop into NoteTab.

                        Or simply use the keyboard shortcut combo of Win+E...

                        oOOo-(_)-oOOo
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 23, 2000
                          Hi Carl,

                          >> Ya know, you could launch Explorer from a pulldown list of
                          >> your favorite folders and then do a drag/drop into NoteTab.
                          >
                          > Or simply use the keyboard shortcut combo of Win+E...

                          Is that W+I+N+E

                          <vbg>

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 23, 2000
                            Jody wrote:

                            > Hi Carl,
                            >
                            > >> Ya know, you could launch Explorer from a pulldown list of
                            > >> your favorite folders and then do a drag/drop into NoteTab.
                            > >
                            > > Or simply use the keyboard shortcut combo of Win+E...
                            >
                            > Is that W+I+N+E

                            LOL!! I think you'll find the clip commands for that under Loop:

                            <DITTO>
                            > <vbg>
                            </DITTO>

                            oOOo-(_)-oOOo