Re: [NTO] "PowerDesk Pro 5"

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 14, 2003
      Mordechai wrote:

      > Hello friends,
      > This question to you is for attention of "Windows XP" users - as I
      have this OS on my PC and I would like to consult with you about the
      program in subject above.
      > (Install it or not).
      > Is any one using (on an XP systen) the "PowerDesk Pro 5", and what is
      your personal opinion about this program - comparing it to the original
      XP file explorer.
      > Many thanks
      > Mordechai M.
      > airflow@...

      Mordechai,

      I have used PD5 Pro on win98 and currently on xp home, several months
      now. It doesn't take much of a file manager to best windows explorer.
      I've used 3rd party file managers since DOS days and PD5 Pro is as good
      as any I've used.

      I recommend the freeware version of PD5 when anyone asks and money is
      tight.

      hrs
    • Don Daugherty
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 14, 2003
        I've been using Power Desk since 1998 (my current version is 4.?) and it is
        infinitely superior (well, that may be a slight exaggeration) to Windows
        Explorer. It gives you a two-pane option, Zip's and Unzips files and does a
        variety of other things.
        Don
      • Michael Acklin
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 14, 2003
          I can vouch for the program, PowerDesk Pro 5.

          I have been using PowerDesk for over 3 or 4 years. I first started using
          version 4, I believe. That was with Windows 98/ME. When I updated to WinXP,
          I installed PowerDesk 4 and when they came out with verison 5, I upgraded
          with out any thoughts at all.

          I believe there has been a couple of updates and I also believe I have the
          latest version.

          As for the program itself, I love it. I have always liked the file manager
          type of program and when they did away with it, File Manager that is, I was
          lost. I found PowerDesk and have been using it ever since. Just the File
          Manager part of the program was enough for me, but there is so many other
          features too numerious to mention. I do like the way you can convert gifs to
          jpg and visa-versa. Or any kind of graphics files for that matter.

          One thing I do not like about PowerDesk is the Zip interface. I use WinZip
          for all my zipped files, but PowerDesk wants to be the default zip program.
          PowerDesk can not handle zip within zips too good and when you get .rah and
          ace files, PowerDesk chokes. But I just right click the files and WinZip
          handles everything fine.

          But as I said, all the other features make PowerDesk well worth it.

          Hope this helps.

          Mike Acklin
          freeop@...