Re: [NTO] CCS for Easy Imager Templates

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2003
      Hi Ray,

      If you search for css in the yahoo archives in the ntb-html group
      (see my sigline) you'll find tons of info. I had the following in
      my html mailbox. I just used Pasteboard and went-a-click'n so no
      telling what you'll find.

      From: "Mark Woods" <mbear67@...>
      Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:21:34 -0500
      Subject: Re: [NH] CSS Guide

      Randy,

      Being the e-book/online tutorial aficionado, I've looked around. There is a
      site by Zvon (http://www.zvon.org) that has Web development
      tutorials/references, including HTML/XHTML, XML, CSS, XUL, etc. These
      resources can be viewed online, or downloaded for offline viewing.

      Hope these help.

      Mark
      From: h.paulissen@...
      Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:32:24 -0000
      Subject: [NH] Re: CSS Guide

      --- In ntb-html@y..., "Randy Parrish" <Randy@i...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know of an guide that guides you through CSS, or a CSS
      tutorial?
      > Might give me an idea of what ya'll are talking about, lol. :-)
      >
      > Randy

      Randy,

      http://www.w3schools.com/css/ is worth a visit.

      Hugo
      From: h.paulissen@...
      Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:37:01 -0000
      Subject: [NH] Re: "cheat sheet "

      http://www.westciv.com.au/style_master/academy/browser_support/index.html

      This is another one...

      Hugo
      From: "Andy Young" <ajyoung@...>
      Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:30:42 -0500

      Hi, Jody

      > Hopefully there is such a thing and somebody will post a link.
      > I'm at wits end to make my CSS tables look at least somewhat the
      > same in the main three browsers or shells of them like
      > Netscape/Mozilla and IE/NetCaptor.

      Here is a link to a site that breaks down CSS support by browser.
      Some of the information isn't up to date with this summer's
      browsers. I hope this helps. I've included the link to the
      borderstyle property.

      http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/properties/border/bstyle.htm

      I all like "Rich in Style" web site which specialiazes in style
      sheets for all browsers.

      http://richinstyle.com/

      Andy
      From: "thefrank" <tf@...>
      Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:39:55 -0000

      Here are several links I use for reference. I may have posted these
      previously...

      CSS Browser - Specific Bugs and Workarounds
      http://css.nu/pointers/bugs.html

      CSS Master Grid - Compatibility cross-reference for main Browsers
      http://www.webreview2.com/style/mastergrid.shtml

      The following is (IMO) interesting, on track, and a good exercise for
      development...

      A respectable attempt to replace layout tables using CSS
      http://glish.com/css/

      Hugo wrote:
      http://www.westciv.com.au/style_master/academy/browser_support/index.html

      regards,

      tf
      From: Lotta <loro@...>
      Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 03:29:25 +0200

      Hello Randy,

      >Does anyone know of an guide that guides you through CSS, or a CSS tutorial?
      >Might give me an idea of what ya'll are talking about, lol. :-)

      You will probably get a bunch of suggestions for this. I haven't been able
      to find a guide that's a complete cure though.

      You have the specification of course. Don't be intimated - no one
      understands a word of it the first 50 visits.
      http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

      CSS1 isn't that hard to learn. It concerns itself mainly with simple
      formatting. Fonts, colors, borders - that sort of thing. I find WGG's guide
      invaluable (even if it isn't a step by step school). You can download it in
      different formats too.
      http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/

      CSS2 is another matter. Now we get to positioning and - more. It's another
      way of thinking altogether compared with HTML (at least I find it so). The
      browser bugs makes it slightly hellish. Not only do one have to learn - but
      also find out the workarounds. They are not included in the specs!

      There are oodles of pages trying to teach us CSS. I have yet to find one I
      think is good all around. The sites above link to a lot of them
      and www.css.nu also has a big link collection.

      Sorry that I'm not able to be of more help. I'm still getting pimples from
      this myself and could sure use a good tutorial. So far I've found that
      picking up a little here and a little there works best - even if slowly.

      Lotta :)

      From: "Grant" <emerge@...>
      Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 21:34:41 +1200
      Subject: RE: [NH] CSS filters

      > Sorry, was that re my question? You have lost me. As far as I know the
      > whole CSS concept is about presentation and all of it can be left out
      > without altering the structural intent. What's your point? I don't follow.

      Yeah I don't follow myself sometimes. It was just a small rave.
      I think I'm better at solving problems than explaining things.;)

      Anyways
      I've just built a webified version of the checkLinks library I posted
      earlier.
      http://www.markup.co.nz/validate/checkLinks.htm

      Unlike the notetab library version you have to make an a security adjustment
      to allow data access across domains for it to work.
      It also relies on a regular expression to extract the http links from
      fetched entered url text instead of the method used in library.
      Tested on ie5.5+ although should work in ns6+ when support for request
      object is built in as it is in the latest moz builds
      If it seems to hang , just wait around a little and the results will pop up.
      I checked on a page with about 42 http linked and it took about 3 minutes on
      my slow connection.

      It works by instantiating the httpRquest object
      Fetching the html text of the url entered.
      Uses reg exp to extract URLs and puts regExp results into result array.
      Each URL in array is then requested using http request then the url with the
      response status text is written into the report box.

      All this is done on the client with no server side script.

      From: "Grant" <emerge@...>
      Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 21:44:58 +1200
      Subject: RE: [NH] css

      > Why doesn't this centre my text?
      >
      > SPAN {
      > text-align: center;
      > font-size: 18;
      > font-style: bold;
      > }

      Elements that are flow objects can be displayed as InLine or Block
      Block elements like 'div', 'h1', 'p', and 'blockquote' force a
      break(newline) between it and the next flow element. This means you can
      center text with block elements because you are centering on a newline
      Inline elements like 'span', 'a', 'em', and 'strong' do not force a break so
      centering text can't be done unless you widen the inline element.

      > <SPAN>Center</SPAN>
      To center this you must create space to allow centering.
      <SPAN style="text-align: center;width: 600px">Center</SPAN>
      As can be seen this will not center on the page but between the span.

      To center text on a page you usually use a block element like div

      Inline elements like 'span' can also be taken out of the display flow and
      floated.

      center;
      ">Float</span>
      flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow
      flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow
      flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow
      flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow

      You dont often see this done because advanced (sic) wysiwyg editors like
      Dreamweaver and frontpage can not display floats in their "what you see"
      environment although browsers have no trouble rendering floats.

      From: "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt@...>
      Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:58:03 -0400
      Subject: Re: Re[2]: [NH] css

      Use classes, Jody, as:

      DIV.rah {
      text-align: center;
      background: #FFFFFF;
      border: thick ridge #FFCC00;
      padding: 0.3%;
      margin: 2% 11% 2% 11%;
      background-color: #FFFFFF;
      font-size: 18;
      font-style: bold;
      color: blue;
      }

      DIV.btt {
      text-align: center;
      font-size: 24;
      font-style: bold;
      color: black;
      }

      and then in your html

      <DIV CLASS="btt">
      stuff

      Mike

      From: "Greg Chapman" <greg@...>
      Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:47:21 +0100

      > > Why doesn't this centre my text?
      > >
      > > SPAN {
      > > text-align: center;
      > > font-size: 18;
      > > font-style: bold;
      > > }
      >
      > Elements that are flow objects can be displayed as InLine or Block
      > Block elements like 'div', 'h1', 'p', and 'blockquote' force a
      > break(newline) between it and the next flow element.

      Or to put it into Word Processor speak. Font size and style are what MS WORD
      might call "Character Styles" but alignment is a "Paragraph Format".

      You can apply a character style to individual letters in a word if you want but
      you can't "center" a word in the middle of a line of text. You can only center
      an entire paragraph.

      SPAN is the equivalent of a character style. DIV is the equivalent of a
      paragraph format.

      Jody's example is more like WORD's named "paragraph styles" and requires a DIV.

      Greg

      >I just sent a question to the Ezimager Yahoo group about
      >modifying the behavior of one of the Templates supplied with
      >Eric's Easy Imager program. One possible solution may be to do
      >the customization via Cascading Style Sheets. Can anyone
      >recommend a beginner's guide to writing CCS?
      >
      >Thanks for the info.
      >
      >Ray Shapp

      Happy html'n!

      www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com