RE: [NTO] CCS for Easy Imager Templates

  • Jason Wellband
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2003
      Ray,

      Iirc htmlhelp.com has some stuff about css. I use it more as a reference
      though..

      Hth

      Jason

      ---

      Sent with Jason's laptop

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 11, 2003
        Hi Ray,

        If you search for css in the yahoo archives in the ntb-html group
        (see my sigline) you'll find tons of info. I had the following in
        my html mailbox. I just used Pasteboard and went-a-click'n so no
        telling what you'll find.

        From: "Mark Woods" <mbear67@...>
        Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:21:34 -0500
        Subject: Re: [NH] CSS Guide

        Randy,

        Being the e-book/online tutorial aficionado, I've looked around. There is a
        site by Zvon (http://www.zvon.org) that has Web development
        tutorials/references, including HTML/XHTML, XML, CSS, XUL, etc. These
        resources can be viewed online, or downloaded for offline viewing.

        Hope these help.

        Mark
        From: h.paulissen@...
        Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:32:24 -0000
        Subject: [NH] Re: CSS Guide

        --- In ntb-html@y..., "Randy Parrish" <Randy@i...> wrote:
        > Does anyone know of an guide that guides you through CSS, or a CSS
        tutorial?
        > Might give me an idea of what ya'll are talking about, lol. :-)
        >
        > Randy

        Randy,

        http://www.w3schools.com/css/ is worth a visit.

        Hugo
        From: h.paulissen@...
        Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:37:01 -0000
        Subject: [NH] Re: "cheat sheet "

        http://www.westciv.com.au/style_master/academy/browser_support/index.html

        This is another one...

        Hugo
        From: "Andy Young" <ajyoung@...>
        Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:30:42 -0500

        Hi, Jody

        > Hopefully there is such a thing and somebody will post a link.
        > I'm at wits end to make my CSS tables look at least somewhat the
        > same in the main three browsers or shells of them like
        > Netscape/Mozilla and IE/NetCaptor.

        Here is a link to a site that breaks down CSS support by browser.
        Some of the information isn't up to date with this summer's
        browsers. I hope this helps. I've included the link to the
        borderstyle property.

        http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/properties/border/bstyle.htm

        I all like "Rich in Style" web site which specialiazes in style
        sheets for all browsers.

        http://richinstyle.com/

        Andy
        From: "thefrank" <tf@...>
        Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:39:55 -0000

        Here are several links I use for reference. I may have posted these
        previously...

        CSS Browser - Specific Bugs and Workarounds
        http://css.nu/pointers/bugs.html

        CSS Master Grid - Compatibility cross-reference for main Browsers
        http://www.webreview2.com/style/mastergrid.shtml

        The following is (IMO) interesting, on track, and a good exercise for
        development...

        A respectable attempt to replace layout tables using CSS
        http://glish.com/css/

        Hugo wrote:
        http://www.westciv.com.au/style_master/academy/browser_support/index.html

        regards,

        tf
        From: Lotta <loro@...>
        Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 03:29:25 +0200

        Hello Randy,

        >Does anyone know of an guide that guides you through CSS, or a CSS tutorial?
        >Might give me an idea of what ya'll are talking about, lol. :-)

        You will probably get a bunch of suggestions for this. I haven't been able
        to find a guide that's a complete cure though.

        You have the specification of course. Don't be intimated - no one
        understands a word of it the first 50 visits.
        http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

        CSS1 isn't that hard to learn. It concerns itself mainly with simple
        formatting. Fonts, colors, borders - that sort of thing. I find WGG's guide
        invaluable (even if it isn't a step by step school). You can download it in
        different formats too.
        http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/

        CSS2 is another matter. Now we get to positioning and - more. It's another
        way of thinking altogether compared with HTML (at least I find it so). The
        browser bugs makes it slightly hellish. Not only do one have to learn - but
        also find out the workarounds. They are not included in the specs!

        There are oodles of pages trying to teach us CSS. I have yet to find one I
        think is good all around. The sites above link to a lot of them
        and www.css.nu also has a big link collection.

        Sorry that I'm not able to be of more help. I'm still getting pimples from
        this myself and could sure use a good tutorial. So far I've found that
        picking up a little here and a little there works best - even if slowly.

        Lotta :)

        From: "Grant" <emerge@...>
        Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 21:34:41 +1200
        Subject: RE: [NH] CSS filters

        > Sorry, was that re my question? You have lost me. As far as I know the
        > whole CSS concept is about presentation and all of it can be left out
        > without altering the structural intent. What's your point? I don't follow.

        Yeah I don't follow myself sometimes. It was just a small rave.
        I think I'm better at solving problems than explaining things.;)

        Anyways
        I've just built a webified version of the checkLinks library I posted
        earlier.
        http://www.markup.co.nz/validate/checkLinks.htm

        Unlike the notetab library version you have to make an a security adjustment
        to allow data access across domains for it to work.
        It also relies on a regular expression to extract the http links from
        fetched entered url text instead of the method used in library.
        Tested on ie5.5+ although should work in ns6+ when support for request
        object is built in as it is in the latest moz builds
        If it seems to hang , just wait around a little and the results will pop up.
        I checked on a page with about 42 http linked and it took about 3 minutes on
        my slow connection.

        It works by instantiating the httpRquest object
        Fetching the html text of the url entered.
        Uses reg exp to extract URLs and puts regExp results into result array.
        Each URL in array is then requested using http request then the url with the
        response status text is written into the report box.

        All this is done on the client with no server side script.

        From: "Grant" <emerge@...>
        Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 21:44:58 +1200
        Subject: RE: [NH] css

        > Why doesn't this centre my text?
        >
        > SPAN {
        > text-align: center;
        > font-size: 18;
        > font-style: bold;
        > }

        Elements that are flow objects can be displayed as InLine or Block
        Block elements like 'div', 'h1', 'p', and 'blockquote' force a
        break(newline) between it and the next flow element. This means you can
        center text with block elements because you are centering on a newline
        Inline elements like 'span', 'a', 'em', and 'strong' do not force a break so
        centering text can't be done unless you widen the inline element.

        > <SPAN>Center</SPAN>
        To center this you must create space to allow centering.
        <SPAN style="text-align: center;width: 600px">Center</SPAN>
        As can be seen this will not center on the page but between the span.

        To center text on a page you usually use a block element like div

        Inline elements like 'span' can also be taken out of the display flow and
        floated.

        center;
        ">Float</span>
        flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow
        flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow
        flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow
        flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow flow-flow

        You dont often see this done because advanced (sic) wysiwyg editors like
        Dreamweaver and frontpage can not display floats in their "what you see"
        environment although browsers have no trouble rendering floats.

        From: "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt@...>
        Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:58:03 -0400
        Subject: Re: Re[2]: [NH] css

        Use classes, Jody, as:

        DIV.rah {
        text-align: center;
        background: #FFFFFF;
        border: thick ridge #FFCC00;
        padding: 0.3%;
        margin: 2% 11% 2% 11%;
        background-color: #FFFFFF;
        font-size: 18;
        font-style: bold;
        color: blue;
        }

        DIV.btt {
        text-align: center;
        font-size: 24;
        font-style: bold;
        color: black;
        }

        and then in your html

        <DIV CLASS="btt">
        stuff

        Mike

        From: "Greg Chapman" <greg@...>
        Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 12:47:21 +0100

        > > Why doesn't this centre my text?
        > >
        > > SPAN {
        > > text-align: center;
        > > font-size: 18;
        > > font-style: bold;
        > > }
        >
        > Elements that are flow objects can be displayed as InLine or Block
        > Block elements like 'div', 'h1', 'p', and 'blockquote' force a
        > break(newline) between it and the next flow element.

        Or to put it into Word Processor speak. Font size and style are what MS WORD
        might call "Character Styles" but alignment is a "Paragraph Format".

        You can apply a character style to individual letters in a word if you want but
        you can't "center" a word in the middle of a line of text. You can only center
        an entire paragraph.

        SPAN is the equivalent of a character style. DIV is the equivalent of a
        paragraph format.

        Jody's example is more like WORD's named "paragraph styles" and requires a DIV.

        Greg

        >I just sent a question to the Ezimager Yahoo group about
        >modifying the behavior of one of the Templates supplied with
        >Eric's Easy Imager program. One possible solution may be to do
        >the customization via Cascading Style Sheets. Can anyone
        >recommend a beginner's guide to writing CCS?
        >
        >Thanks for the info.
        >
        >Ray Shapp

        Happy html'n!

        www.notetab.net www.clean-funnies.com