Re: [NTO] Go Back

  • RS
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2000
      Hi Julie,

      At 04:23 PM 06/02/00 -0400, you wrote:
      >At 11:45 AM 06/02/2000 -0700, phil wrote:

      >I have
      >found GoBack useful in a couple of instances to restore previous versions
      >of files that had been written over, and a Eudora mailbox that was
      >corrupeted.

      You don't need to use GoBack if a mailbox gets corrupted. Just deleting the
      .toc file will do in most cases.

      The .toc (Table of Contents) will be rebuilt automatically next time you
      start Eudora.

      Regards,

      RS
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2000
        At 11:45 AM 06/02/2000 -0700, phil wrote:

        >GoBack
        >
        >I don't kn0w how reliable it is, since I have not had to use it, and I am
        >looking
        >for input from anyone who knows a good bit about this program. Does it
        >really work?

        Hi Phil,

        GoBack seems to be installed on most of Gateway's newer systems. I have
        found GoBack useful in a couple of instances to restore previous versions
        of files that had been written over, and a Eudora mailbox that was
        corrupeted. However, because of a problem we had with this new Gateway, and
        *many* calls to their tech support, I've come to the conclusion that the
        majority of Gateway's technical support seem to use the program as a CRUTCH
        and as a COP-OUT. They don't want to troubleshoot, they just want you to
        "GoBack" and restore the system to a previous safe point. The problem with
        our system turned out to be video card related and not software related.

        I also found when you defragment your hard drive you get rid of GoBack
        history. That's not listed anywhere in the Help File, but a tech confirmed
        it for me.

        Julie
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2000
          At 03:02 PM 06/02/2000 -0500, RS wrote:

          >You don't need to use GoBack if a mailbox gets corrupted. Just deleting the
          >.toc file will do in most cases.
          >
          >The .toc (Table of Contents) will be rebuilt automatically next time you
          >start Eudora.

          Oh, believe me, I tried that first! Didn't work in this instance... but
          GoBack restored it for me.

          Julie
        • RS
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2000
            Hi Julie,

            At 05:46 PM 06/02/00 -0400, you wrote:
            >At 03:02 PM 06/02/2000 -0500, RS wrote:
            >
            >>You don't need to use GoBack if a mailbox gets corrupted. Just deleting the
            >>.toc file will do in most cases.
            >>
            >>The .toc (Table of Contents) will be rebuilt automatically next time you
            >>start Eudora.
            >
            >Oh, believe me, I tried that first! Didn't work in this instance... but
            >GoBack restored it for me.

            It really got corrupted, then :)

            Regards,

            RS
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 6, 2000
              Hi,

              Can someone please help me?

              I've lost the mail boxes window in Eudora altogether. Meaning the window to
              the left where you see your mail boxes, personalities and so on. It was
              just gone when I rebooted and it won't come back.

              When going to "Tools" I can toggle everything on/off except the things
              belonging in that window: Mail Boxes, File Browser, Stationary, Signatures,
              Personalities.

              What's the trick?

              Damsel in Distress going Nuts
            • Paul King
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 6, 2000
                Hi Lotta

                Got to Tools | Mailboxes etc. All the stuff you want is
                in there.

                Paul King

                At 02:45 AM 6/7/00 +0200, you wrote:
                >Hi,
                >
                >Can someone please help me?
                >
                >I've lost the mail boxes window in Eudora altogether. Meaning the window to
                >the left where you see your mail boxes, personalities and so on. It was
                >just gone when I rebooted and it won't come back.
                >
                >When going to "Tools" I can toggle everything on/off except the things
                >belonging in that window: Mail Boxes, File Browser, Stationary, Signatures,
                >Personalities.
                >
                >What's the trick?
                >

                >Damsel in Distress going Nuts

                >Remember four years of good friends, bad clothes, explosive chemistry
                >experiments.
                >http://click.egroups.com/1/4051/9/_/_/_/960338797/
              • Paul King
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2000
                  Hi Lotta:

                  Sorry. I see you have already been in Tools and
                  nothing works. Afraid I have no good advice.

                  Paul King
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 6, 2000
                    Hi Lotta,

                    > I've lost the mail boxes window in Eudora altogether. Meaning
                    > the window to the left where you see your mail boxes,
                    > personalities and so on. It was just gone when I rebooted and
                    > it won't come back.

                    OH, now you did it! :) I tried to recreate your problem, and
                    succeeded. However, I goofed and did not back up my current ini.
                    I had one named .old which is mainly just a ToolBar thing I have
                    to do to get back to normal. Try setting the following when
                    Eudora is closed.

                    MailboxesWindowPosition=566,18,745,444
                    MainWindowState=3

                    If that does not get it you might want to rename your ini file
                    and let Eudora make a new one. Then close Eudora and copy all
                    your Toolbar stuff and account info over.

                    I don't have the time right now to find exactly what settings
                    control it, but I know at least the two above have something
                    to do with it.

                    BTW, don't drag your mailbox window all the way to the side so
                    that it disappears. <g>

                    mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...