Re: [NTO] Setting up a website for running from a a CDR

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
      Hi Jeff,

      >I would like to send my websites out in CDR format, and have no
      >problems with getting teh CDs burn't, however how do you get the
      >website's index page to LOAD when the CD is first inserted?

      They make programs to get fancy with the way you want to run the
      startup of CDs, but this is what I do...

      Make a file called autorun.inf.

      Inside it I put:

      [autorun]
      OPEN=Setup.exe
      ICON=ntp.ico

      I tried index.htm at one time and do not remember if it worked orr not.
      I think not. If not, perhaps you can try to fake it out and rename the
      index.htm to setup.exe
      icon= is optional.
      If you only put [autorun] in, then a Windows Explorer window will popup.
      That is good for when a choice is needed to be made by whoever opens it
      like when I add multiple programs to a CD like the ones I sell with Fookes
      Software on it for instance. <g> From NoteTab's PasteBack feature:

      The CD-ROMs for our products have lots of extras on them
      including: very useful freeware and shareware, extra HTML help
      for beginners, an excellent Clip writing tutorial, and other
      short tutorials... You can get more than one registered program
      on the same CD at no extra charge, even if you already registered
      the products; see "cd-info.htm" and "onthiscd.htm" below for
      details and the contents of the CDs. (http://www.fookes.us)

      The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (http://www.notetab.net) is one of
      my personal web sites loaded with free useful Libraries and Clips.
      It is well worth the visit in my opinion!-)

      Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
      http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
      Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
      http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
      Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
      http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm
      Order Fookes Software through me (even on CD)...
      http://www.notetab.net/order, http://www.fookes.us

      I run many yahoogroup discussion mailing lists for our products.
      You can get fast, courteous, and very useful information and help
      from them for free: http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      Options for Off Topic List
      All Fookes Software YahooGroups lists:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
        Hi Jeff,

        If you didn't find a way to open an index.htm or any file as far
        as that goes, this was sent in about a year ago.

        From: "Greg Chapman" <greg@...>
        Subject: RE: [NTO] Setting up a website for running from a a CDR

        > I would like to send my websites out in CDR format, and have
        > no problems with getting teh CDs burn't, however how do you get
        > the website's index page to LOAD when the CD is first
        > inserted?

        As you have probably discovered, you can't use the Autoplay
        feature as that will only fire up an executable file.

        (By default, inserting a CD in the drive forces the machine to
        look for a file "autorun.inf" on the CD. It is this file that
        contains instructions about what program to launch.)

        I use the small freeware Browsercall program for this, and place
        this in my autorun.inf file

        [autorun]
        open=browsercall.exe index.htm

        Get Browsercall from:

        <http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall.html>http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall<http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall.html>.html

        It's small (just a 33kb download!) well documented and will do
        more than just this!

        -------------------------

        In case you missed it...

        Steve Veltkamp wrote:
        I do however have it so website autoloads from CD, just as you want. The
        program you want is Karen's Powertool PTAutorun, at:
        http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptautorun.asp

        --- I tested this one with an index.htm and it worked fine on an XP
        Pro machine all except for some reason the CD drive icon did not
        show up in Windows Explorer (My Computer). - jody ---

      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
          Thanks Jody.

          I will look into these options.
          --
          ~~

          Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

          "Just the facts, maam."
          Sgt. Joe Friday,
          LAPD Badge #714

          Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
          VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

          Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
            I downloaded and tried the Browsercall anmd set up the autorun.inf
            file, added it andf the Browqsercall exe files to the CD root directory
            (with the index.html file) and it still doesn't autorun, next step is
            alternative 2. (Karensware.com is "requested resource is in use") so I
            guess I am stuck.

            By the way I Did assure that "Auto Insert Notification" is checked omn
            BOTH cd drives.
            --
            ~~