Re: [NTO] Setting up a website for running from a a CDR

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24 6:25 AM
      Thanks, I always get super answers here.
      --
      ~~~~

      Jeff Scism, IBSSG
      http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24 3:06 PM
        Hi Jeff,

        >I would like to send my websites out in CDR format, and have no
        >problems with getting teh CDs burn't, however how do you get the
        >website's index page to LOAD when the CD is first inserted?

        They make programs to get fancy with the way you want to run the
        startup of CDs, but this is what I do...

        Make a file called autorun.inf.

        Inside it I put:

        [autorun]
        OPEN=Setup.exe
        ICON=ntp.ico

        I tried index.htm at one time and do not remember if it worked orr not.
        I think not. If not, perhaps you can try to fake it out and rename the
        index.htm to setup.exe
        icon= is optional.
        If you only put [autorun] in, then a Windows Explorer window will popup.
        That is good for when a choice is needed to be made by whoever opens it
        like when I add multiple programs to a CD like the ones I sell with Fookes
        Software on it for instance. <g> From NoteTab's PasteBack feature:

        The CD-ROMs for our products have lots of extras on them
        including: very useful freeware and shareware, extra HTML help
        for beginners, an excellent Clip writing tutorial, and other
        short tutorials... You can get more than one registered program
        on the same CD at no extra charge, even if you already registered
        the products; see "cd-info.htm" and "onthiscd.htm" below for
        details and the contents of the CDs. (http://www.fookes.us)

        The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (http://www.notetab.net) is one of
        my personal web sites loaded with free useful Libraries and Clips.
        It is well worth the visit in my opinion!-)

        Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
        http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
        Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
        http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
        Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
        http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm
        Order Fookes Software through me (even on CD)...
        http://www.notetab.net/order, http://www.fookes.us

        I run many yahoogroup discussion mailing lists for our products.
        You can get fast, courteous, and very useful information and help
        from them for free: http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        Options for Off Topic List
        All Fookes Software YahooGroups lists:
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
          Hi Jeff,

          If you didn't find a way to open an index.htm or any file as far
          as that goes, this was sent in about a year ago.

          From: "Greg Chapman" <greg@...>
          Subject: RE: [NTO] Setting up a website for running from a a CDR

          > I would like to send my websites out in CDR format, and have
          > no problems with getting teh CDs burn't, however how do you get
          > the website's index page to LOAD when the CD is first
          > inserted?

          As you have probably discovered, you can't use the Autoplay
          feature as that will only fire up an executable file.

          (By default, inserting a CD in the drive forces the machine to
          look for a file "autorun.inf" on the CD. It is this file that
          contains instructions about what program to launch.)

          I use the small freeware Browsercall program for this, and place
          this in my autorun.inf file

          [autorun]
          open=browsercall.exe index.htm

          Get Browsercall from:

          <http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall.html>http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall<http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall.html>.html

          It's small (just a 33kb download!) well documented and will do
          more than just this!

          -------------------------

          In case you missed it...

          Steve Veltkamp wrote:
          I do however have it so website autoloads from CD, just as you want. The
          program you want is Karen's Powertool PTAutorun, at:
          http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptautorun.asp

          --- I tested this one with an index.htm and it worked fine on an XP
          Pro machine all except for some reason the CD drive icon did not
          show up in Windows Explorer (My Computer). - jody ---

        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
            Thanks Jody.

            I will look into these options.
            --
            ~~

            Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

            "Just the facts, maam."
            Sgt. Joe Friday,
            LAPD Badge #714

            Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
            VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

            Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
              I downloaded and tried the Browsercall anmd set up the autorun.inf
              file, added it andf the Browqsercall exe files to the CD root directory
              (with the index.html file) and it still doesn't autorun, next step is
              alternative 2. (Karensware.com is "requested resource is in use") so I
              guess I am stuck.

              By the way I Did assure that "Auto Insert Notification" is checked omn
              BOTH cd drives.
              --
              ~~