RE: [NTO] Setting up a website for running from a a CDR

  • Jason Wellband
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
      Jeff,

      Create a text file on the root of the CD called autorun.inf

      I believe the following example would work but I've not tested it:

      <start here>

      [autorun]
      open=index.htm
      icon=someiconfile.ico

      <end here>

      Someiconfile.ico is just a standard icon you can create with any icon
      editor. It's the icon you'd see in My Computer instead of the standard
      CDROM drive icon. I believe your icon should have a 16x16 and a 32x32
      pixel version. Windows XP might use 64x64 pixels for the default My
      Computer view.

      Hth

      Jason

      ---

      Sent with Jason's laptop

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
        Thanks, I always get super answers here.
        --
        ~~~~

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
          Hi Jeff,

          >I would like to send my websites out in CDR format, and have no
          >problems with getting teh CDs burn't, however how do you get the
          >website's index page to LOAD when the CD is first inserted?

          They make programs to get fancy with the way you want to run the
          startup of CDs, but this is what I do...

          Make a file called autorun.inf.

          Inside it I put:

          [autorun]
          OPEN=Setup.exe
          ICON=ntp.ico

          I tried index.htm at one time and do not remember if it worked orr not.
          I think not. If not, perhaps you can try to fake it out and rename the
          index.htm to setup.exe
          icon= is optional.
          If you only put [autorun] in, then a Windows Explorer window will popup.
          That is good for when a choice is needed to be made by whoever opens it
          like when I add multiple programs to a CD like the ones I sell with Fookes
          Software on it for instance. <g> From NoteTab's PasteBack feature:

          The CD-ROMs for our products have lots of extras on them
          including: very useful freeware and shareware, extra HTML help
          for beginners, an excellent Clip writing tutorial, and other
          short tutorials... You can get more than one registered program
          on the same CD at no extra charge, even if you already registered
          the products; see "cd-info.htm" and "onthiscd.htm" below for
          details and the contents of the CDs. (http://www.fookes.us)

          The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (http://www.notetab.net) is one of
          my personal web sites loaded with free useful Libraries and Clips.
          It is well worth the visit in my opinion!-)

          Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
          http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
          Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
          http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
          Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
          http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm
          Order Fookes Software through me (even on CD)...
          http://www.notetab.net/order, http://www.fookes.us

          I run many yahoogroup discussion mailing lists for our products.
          You can get fast, courteous, and very useful information and help
          from them for free: http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

          Options for Off Topic List
          All Fookes Software YahooGroups lists:
          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
            Hi Jeff,

            If you didn't find a way to open an index.htm or any file as far
            as that goes, this was sent in about a year ago.

            From: "Greg Chapman" <greg@...>
            Subject: RE: [NTO] Setting up a website for running from a a CDR

            > I would like to send my websites out in CDR format, and have
            > no problems with getting teh CDs burn't, however how do you get
            > the website's index page to LOAD when the CD is first
            > inserted?

            As you have probably discovered, you can't use the Autoplay
            feature as that will only fire up an executable file.

            (By default, inserting a CD in the drive forces the machine to
            look for a file "autorun.inf" on the CD. It is this file that
            contains instructions about what program to launch.)

            I use the small freeware Browsercall program for this, and place
            this in my autorun.inf file

            [autorun]
            open=browsercall.exe index.htm

            Get Browsercall from:

            <http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall.html>http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall<http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall.html>.html

            It's small (just a 33kb download!) well documented and will do
            more than just this!

            -------------------------

            In case you missed it...

            Steve Veltkamp wrote:
            I do however have it so website autoloads from CD, just as you want. The
            program you want is Karen's Powertool PTAutorun, at:
            http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptautorun.asp

            --- I tested this one with an index.htm and it worked fine on an XP
            Pro machine all except for some reason the CD drive icon did not
            show up in Windows Explorer (My Computer). - jody ---

          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
              Thanks Jody.

              I will look into these options.
              --
              ~~

              Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

              "Just the facts, maam."
              Sgt. Joe Friday,
              LAPD Badge #714

              Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
              VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

              Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
                I downloaded and tried the Browsercall anmd set up the autorun.inf
                file, added it andf the Browqsercall exe files to the CD root directory
                (with the index.html file) and it still doesn't autorun, next step is
                alternative 2. (Karensware.com is "requested resource is in use") so I
                guess I am stuck.

                By the way I Did assure that "Auto Insert Notification" is checked omn
                BOTH cd drives.
                --
                ~~