Setting up a website for running from a a CDR

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 23, 2003
      I would like to send my websites out in CDR format, and have no
      problems with getting teh CDs burn't, however how do you get the
      website's index page to LOAD when the CD is first inserted?

      (Using NERO)
      --
      ~~~~

      Jeff Scism, IBSSG
      http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
    • Jason Wellband
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
        Jeff,

        Create a text file on the root of the CD called autorun.inf

        I believe the following example would work but I've not tested it:

        <start here>

        [autorun]
        open=index.htm
        icon=someiconfile.ico

        <end here>

        Someiconfile.ico is just a standard icon you can create with any icon
        editor. It's the icon you'd see in My Computer instead of the standard
        CDROM drive icon. I believe your icon should have a 16x16 and a 32x32
        pixel version. Windows XP might use 64x64 pixels for the default My
        Computer view.

        Hth

        Jason

        ---

        Sent with Jason's laptop

        : I would like to send my websites out in CDR format, and have no
        : problems with getting teh CDs burn't, however how do you get the
        : website's index page to LOAD when the CD is first inserted?
        :
        : (Using NERO)
        : --
        : ~~~~
        :
        : Jeff Scism, IBSSG
        : http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/
        :
        :
        : ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        : ---------------------~-->
        : Rent DVDs from home.
        : Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
        : & No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
        : http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/dkFolB/TM
        : --------------------------------------------------------------
        : -------~->
        :
        :
        :
        : Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        : http://docs.yahoo.com/inf: o/terms/
        :
        :
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
          Hi Jeff,

          > I would like to send my websites out in CDR format, and have no
          > problems with getting teh CDs burn't, however how do you get the
          > website's index page to LOAD when the CD is first inserted?

          As you have probably discovered, you can't use the Autoplay feature as that
          will only fire up an executable file.

          (By default, inserting a CD in the drive forces the machine to look for a
          file "autorun.inf" on the CD. It is this file that contains instructions
          about what program to launch.)

          I use the small freeware Browsercall program for this, and place this in my
          autorun.inf file

          [autorun]
          open=browsercall.exe index.htm

          Get Browsercall from:

          http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall.html

          It's small (just a 33kb download!) well documented and will do more than
          just this!

          Greg
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
            Thanks, I always get super answers here.
            --
            ~~~~

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 24, 2003
              Hi Jeff,

              >I would like to send my websites out in CDR format, and have no
              >problems with getting teh CDs burn't, however how do you get the
              >website's index page to LOAD when the CD is first inserted?

              They make programs to get fancy with the way you want to run the
              startup of CDs, but this is what I do...

              Make a file called autorun.inf.

              Inside it I put:

              [autorun]
              OPEN=Setup.exe
              ICON=ntp.ico

              I tried index.htm at one time and do not remember if it worked orr not.
              I think not. If not, perhaps you can try to fake it out and rename the
              index.htm to setup.exe
              icon= is optional.
              If you only put [autorun] in, then a Windows Explorer window will popup.
              That is good for when a choice is needed to be made by whoever opens it
              like when I add multiple programs to a CD like the ones I sell with Fookes
              Software on it for instance. <g> From NoteTab's PasteBack feature:

              The CD-ROMs for our products have lots of extras on them
              including: very useful freeware and shareware, extra HTML help
              for beginners, an excellent Clip writing tutorial, and other
              short tutorials... You can get more than one registered program
              on the same CD at no extra charge, even if you already registered
              the products; see "cd-info.htm" and "onthiscd.htm" below for
              details and the contents of the CDs. (http://www.fookes.us)

              The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (http://www.notetab.net) is one of
              my personal web sites loaded with free useful Libraries and Clips.
              It is well worth the visit in my opinion!-)

              Ordering Information: Price, CD build type...
              http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm
              Programs, Utilities, Helps, Clip Tutorial...
              http://www.notetab.net/html/onthiscd.htm
              Third Party Products: Freeware and Shareware...
              http://www.notetab.net/html/tpp-readthis.htm
              Order Fookes Software through me (even on CD)...
              http://www.notetab.net/order, http://www.fookes.us

              I run many yahoogroup discussion mailing lists for our products.
              You can get fast, courteous, and very useful information and help
              from them for free: http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

              Options for Off Topic List
              All Fookes Software YahooGroups lists:
              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
                Hi Jeff,

                If you didn't find a way to open an index.htm or any file as far
                as that goes, this was sent in about a year ago.

                From: "Greg Chapman" <greg@...>
                Subject: RE: [NTO] Setting up a website for running from a a CDR

                <http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall.html>http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall<http://www.ashzfall.com/products/autorun/browsercall.html>.html

                It's small (just a 33kb download!) well documented and will do
                more than just this!

                -------------------------

                In case you missed it...

                Steve Veltkamp wrote:
                I do however have it so website autoloads from CD, just as you want. The
                program you want is Karen's Powertool PTAutorun, at:
                http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptautorun.asp

                --- I tested this one with an index.htm and it worked fine on an XP
                Pro machine all except for some reason the CD drive icon did not
                show up in Windows Explorer (My Computer). - jody ---

              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
                  Thanks Jody.

                  I will look into these options.
                  --
                  ~~

                  Jeffery G. Scism. IBSSG

                  "Just the facts, maam."
                  Sgt. Joe Friday,
                  LAPD Badge #714

                  Do your civic duty, Know your candidates and
                  VOTE for the candidate of your choice.

                  Jimmy Hoffa, 1960
                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
                    I downloaded and tried the Browsercall anmd set up the autorun.inf
                    file, added it andf the Browqsercall exe files to the CD root directory
                    (with the index.html file) and it still doesn't autorun, next step is
                    alternative 2. (Karensware.com is "requested resource is in use") so I
                    guess I am stuck.

                    By the way I Did assure that "Auto Insert Notification" is checked omn
                    BOTH cd drives.
                    --
                    ~~