RE: [NTO] Swap WinXP Between Two PCs

  • Brian Binder
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 23, 2003
      I'll start with what some people believe to be the most important one and
      let you decide how you want to proceed from there.

      Answer to question 1 - No, it's not legal. OEM software is bound to the PC
      or equipment it is sold with. Meaning, if you sold your PC (old one) to
      another person, the license goes with it. It stays with the machine.

      If you still want to proceed, it can still be done, but I don't think you'd
      want to discuss it here...

      Brian

    • R Shapp
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 23, 2003
        Hi Brian,

        Thank you for the quick response.

        <<OEM software is bound to the PC or equipment it is sold with.>>

        I wasn't aware of that.

        <<if you sold your PC (old one) to another person, the license goes with it.

        I have no intention of selling either PC. I just want to use them both in my
        home for different purposes. Is it still illegal to do the swap? I paid the
        full retail price to Dell (the older PC in January, the newer one bought this
        week). Microsoft got their fee both times, and I'm perfectly willing to
        comply with all of Microsoft's registration requirements.

        If my goal of swapping the operating systems is flat-out illegal, I'll cease
        my inquiry, but if the conditions of use I propose may fall into a special
        (permissible) category, then my next request is for contact info at Microsoft
        where I can seek permission to proceed. Technical questions about
        accomplishing the swap will come later.

        Thanks for your help.

        Ray Shapp
      • Jason Wellband
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 23, 2003
          Ray,

          Legalities aside, I'm not even sure you *could* do this even if you
          didn't mind being illegal. If both versions are OEM versions, then they
          are usually bios-locked to the particular machine they came with.

          If the XP pro is an upgrade, then you can upgrade the xp home machine to
          pro, however legally, you cannot use the xp home anywhere.

          Hope this helps

          Jason

          ---

          Sent with Jason's laptop

          : <<OEM software is bound to the PC or equipment it is sold with.>>
          :
          : I wasn't aware of that.
          :
          : <<if you sold your PC (old one) to another person, the
          : license goes with it.
          : >>
          :
[...]
          : ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          : ---------------------~-->
          : Rent DVDs from home.
          : Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
          : & No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
          : http://us.click.yahoo.com/mk9osC/hP.FAA/3jkFAA/dkFolB/TM
          : --------------------------------------------------------------
          : -------~->
          :
          :
          :
          : Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          : http://docs.yahoo.com/inf: o/terms/
          :
          :
        • Brian Binder
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
            Hi Brian,

            <<OEM software is bound to the PC or equipment it is sold with.>>

            I wasn't aware of that.

            <<if you sold your PC (old one) to another person, the license goes with
            it.

            I have no intention of selling either PC. I just want to use them both
            in my
            home for different purposes. Is it still illegal to do the swap? I
            paid the
            full retail price to Dell (the older PC in January, the newer one bought
            this
            week). Microsoft got their fee both times, and I'm perfectly willing to
            comply with all of Microsoft's registration requirements.

            It still is illegal to do the swap. I understand that you don't want to
            sell the PC to another person, but it was just an easy example. OEM
            makes it easy for manufacture's to distribute the software, because
            whoever the rightful owner of the hardware is, is also the rightful
            owner of the software.

            And in all honesty, that rightful owner is Dell. You paid for a
            license, but it is still OEM. If it was 'retail', you could do whatever
            you want, including your proposed plan you are discussing here. It's
            not the price that makes it retail, it's the actual media.

            (Example) If you did sell the PC and decided to keep the WinXP distro
            that existed on the PC being sold, it would be unlawful. (I'm going
            down this path for a reason) You paid (to my understanding) for the
            license when you bought the PC, but the license = OEM. This means that
            if you sold that machine but still had a second installation (of XP) on
            the PC, you would be committing a crime.

            OEM stinks because even though you are paying for it, it's a rented
            license that works with your machine in specific. If you sold it, just
            make sure to include the price of the software in the selling price.
            OEM ensures that whoever purchases the hardware from you gets the OEM
            distributed software with it. I can't really say 'ensures' but I think
            you know what I mean. People begin to hate OEM (or have already)
            because they pay for the extra price of getting XP Pro instead of home
            (for instance) and then they sell the machine and that price THEY paid
            goes with the machine because it's bound by OEM license agreement terms.
            That's why I said when and if you were to ever sell that machine, make
            sure to include the price of the OS as well. It makes no nevermind that
            the buyer has his own license of Windows XP Pro (if so). They still get
            the license bound to the machine, so sell that as well.

            Brian
          • R Shapp
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
              Hi Brian,