RE: [NTO] Spam filtering

  • Jason Wellband
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
      Alec,

      It sounds to me like it's a "dirty-word" filter. Regardless of what it
      is, it should NOT be boucing directly to you (the proper bounce should
      go to Yahoogroups & they'll log it)

      Now for spam reduction: I like SpamBayes. It plugs directly into Outlook
      2000 or XP so I don't have some other mail proxy running. It requires a
      lot of training so it's not 100% yet but it's getting there.

      Hth

      Jason

      ---

      Sent with Jason's laptop

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
        Hey Alec,

        I can tell ya (someone from) that domain is subscribed to the NTB, NTO, &
        Clips lists :-). Have you noticed these spammers now try to add
        additional letters in subject lines to those kind of words to get 'em
        around the filters? Tricky tricky tricky...

        Julie
      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
          Got both of your replies and do not have any spam blockers, I set up rules
          in OLE

          I just have the junk go to the deleted items folder ... those that I can
          catch...

          Laurie

          > Trend SMEX Content Filter has detected sensitive content.
          > Place = ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com; ; ; ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
          > Sender = Alec Burgess
          > Subject = Re: [NTO] Spam filtering (was Mail Check - No need to respond)
          > Delivery Time = October 18, 2003 (Saturday) 21:27:19
          > Policy = Unwanted Words\Group 1-26-03\Words 9-30-03
          > Action on this mail = Quarantine messageWarning message from
          administrator:
          > Content filter has detected a sensitive e-mail.
          >
          > It seems to have been bounced by:
          > aci.on.ca
          >
          > I think it must be on the "other side" of Yahoo-groups because I got my
          post
          > back from them.
          > Laurie - did you get this message too in response to your original post?
          >
          > Has someone on the list got an overly zealous spam filter?
          > IMO - its a waste of time to bounce mail you think is spam. It just lets
          the
          > spammer know that they've got a valid email address!
          > Regards ... Alec
          > --

        • LaurieK
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
            I just got a message too, here's what Mine said... same as yours I guess:

            =================================
            Trend SMEX Content Filter has detected sensitive content.

            Place = ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com; ; ; ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
            Sender = LaurieK
            Subject = Re: [NTO] Spam filtering
            Delivery Time = October 18, 2003 (Saturday) 22:50:47
            Policy = Words 9-30-03
            Action on this mail = Quarantine message

            Warning message from administrator:
            Content filter has detected a sensitive e-mail

            But the message went through... what in the world is going on???

            I am SO CONFUSED>...

            I run Nortons but have not changed any settings.... what gives here??

            Laurie

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 19, 2003
              Laurie wrote:
              >I just got a message too, here's what Mine said... same as yours I guess:
              <snip>
              >But the message went through... what in the world is going on???

              You said the P word. Shame on you! <g> I imagine doctors must have a lot of trouble with these retarded bad word filters. It seems like you can't mention bodily parts at all or they go berserk.

              Let's test. Hand, foot, tummy, eye, ear, pinkie, *****, *****, *****.