Re: [NTO] Spam filtering

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
      Hi all [NTO] list members:

      I just got this:

      Trend SMEX Content Filter has detected sensitive content.
      Place = ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com; ; ; ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
      Sender = Alec Burgess
      Subject = Re: [NTO] Spam filtering (was Mail Check - No need to respond)
      Delivery Time = October 18, 2003 (Saturday) 21:27:19
      Policy = Unwanted Words\Group 1-26-03\Words 9-30-03
      Action on this mail = Quarantine messageWarning message from administrator:
      Content filter has detected a sensitive e-mail.

      It seems to have been bounced by:
      aci.on.ca

      I think it must be on the "other side" of Yahoo-groups because I got my post
      back from them.
      Laurie - did you get this message too in response to your original post?

      Has someone on the list got an overly zealous spam filter?
      IMO - its a waste of time to bounce mail you think is spam. It just lets the
      spammer know that they've got a valid email address!
      Regards ... Alec

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
        Alec,

        It sounds to me like it's a "dirty-word" filter. Regardless of what it
        is, it should NOT be boucing directly to you (the proper bounce should
        go to Yahoogroups & they'll log it)

        Now for spam reduction: I like SpamBayes. It plugs directly into Outlook
        2000 or XP so I don't have some other mail proxy running. It requires a
        lot of training so it's not 100% yet but it's getting there.

        Hth

        Jason

        ---

        Sent with Jason's laptop

        : Trend SMEX Content Filter has detected sensitive content.
        : Place = ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com; ; ; ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
        : Sender = Alec Burgess
        : Subject = Re: [NTO] Spam filtering (was Mail Check - No need
        : to respond)
        :
        : It seems to have been bounced by:
        : aci.on.ca
        :
        : I think it must be on the "other side" of Yahoo-groups
        : because I got my post
        : back from them.
        : Laurie - did you get this message too in response to your
        : original post?
        :
        : Has someone on the list got an overly zealous spam filter?
        : IMO - its a waste of time to bounce mail you think is spam.
        : It just lets the
        : spammer know that they've got a valid email address!
        : Regards ... Alec
        : --
        :
        : >> of my ridiculous spam.... like if I had a p===XXXX===s I'd want it
        : enlarged,
        : >> or if I wanted a new mortgage or if I took xanax or vicodin or
        : >> vallium or v===XXX===a or wanted to lose weight (well I
        : wanna do that)
        : but
        : >> geeze... and on and on...
        :
        : <SNIP> and replace what I think are probably the "offending" words by
        : ===XXXX===.
        :
        :
        : ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        : ---------------------~-->
        : Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark
        : Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
        : US & Canada.
        : http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        : http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/dkFolB/TM
        : --------------------------------------------------------------
        : -------~->
        :
        :
        :
        : Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        : http://docs.yahoo.com/inf: o/terms/
        :
        :
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
          Hey Alec,

          I can tell ya (someone from) that domain is subscribed to the NTB, NTO, &
          Clips lists :-). Have you noticed these spammers now try to add
          additional letters in subject lines to those kind of words to get 'em
          around the filters? Tricky tricky tricky...

          Julie
        • LaurieK
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
            Got both of your replies and do not have any spam blockers, I set up rules
            in OLE

            I just have the junk go to the deleted items folder ... those that I can
            catch...

            Laurie

            > Trend SMEX Content Filter has detected sensitive content.
            > Place = ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com; ; ; ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
            > Sender = Alec Burgess
            > Subject = Re: [NTO] Spam filtering (was Mail Check - No need to respond)
            > Delivery Time = October 18, 2003 (Saturday) 21:27:19
            > Policy = Unwanted Words\Group 1-26-03\Words 9-30-03
            > Action on this mail = Quarantine messageWarning message from
            administrator:
            > Content filter has detected a sensitive e-mail.
            >
            > It seems to have been bounced by:
            > aci.on.ca
            >
            > I think it must be on the "other side" of Yahoo-groups because I got my
            post
            > back from them.
            > Laurie - did you get this message too in response to your original post?
            >
            > Has someone on the list got an overly zealous spam filter?
            > IMO - its a waste of time to bounce mail you think is spam. It just lets
            the
            > spammer know that they've got a valid email address!
            > Regards ... Alec
            > --

          • LaurieK
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 18, 2003
              I just got a message too, here's what Mine said... same as yours I guess:

              =================================
              Trend SMEX Content Filter has detected sensitive content.

              Place = ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com; ; ; ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
              Sender = LaurieK
              Subject = Re: [NTO] Spam filtering
              Delivery Time = October 18, 2003 (Saturday) 22:50:47
              Policy = Words 9-30-03
              Action on this mail = Quarantine message

              Warning message from administrator:
              Content filter has detected a sensitive e-mail

              But the message went through... what in the world is going on???

              I am SO CONFUSED>...

              I run Nortons but have not changed any settings.... what gives here??

              Laurie

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 19, 2003
                Laurie wrote:
                >I just got a message too, here's what Mine said... same as yours I guess:
                <snip>
                >But the message went through... what in the world is going on???

                You said the P word. Shame on you! <g> I imagine doctors must have a lot of trouble with these retarded bad word filters. It seems like you can't mention bodily parts at all or they go berserk.

                Let's test. Hand, foot, tummy, eye, ear, pinkie, *****, *****, *****.