Re: [NTO] character sets and "Downloaded from"

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
      ZIP your attachments then send them.
    • Don Daugherty
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2003
        > Could someone please explain to me about character sets, and specifically
        > why Windows seems to have one of its own. What effect would it have on
        curly
        > quotes and things?

        I'll give this a shot. Character sets are sort of like fonts but more
        general. There can be many fonts that have the same character sets. The
        sets are printable/viewable letters, numbers, punctuation marks, symbols,
        etc., associated with the ASCII codes 32..127 (and in some cases for the
        extended ASCII codes 128..255.) For those of us working in English the are
        ABCDEFGH..., but in some character sets they may be characters from the
        Greek, Arabic, Cyrillic, etc., languages, or other symbol sets like
        Wingdings -- smiley-faces, etc..

        Thus if you have, in a given message, curly brackets, which might be
        represented by codes 123 and 125 (don't bet your life on those being the
        right values), a change in character sets might change what you see to
        things that look totally different.

        > Also, if I send someone an html document as an attachment to an email, why
        > and how does Outlook Express put at the top,

        Because MS said "Let it be so I guess."
      • Fay
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2003
          Thank you, Don.