Re: [NTO] inexpensive hosting services

  • Don Passenger
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2003
      Ed,

      The problem with cheap hosting in my experience is three fold:
      1. it usually limits bandwidth
      2. it often nickles and dimes you (more if you want php or ssi or perl or
      cgi or mysql etc)
      3. turnaround on service is often slow, but not always

      --

      Don Passenger
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 2003
        Don Passenger wrote:

        >Ed,
        >
        >The problem with cheap hosting in my experience is three fold:
        >1. it usually limits bandwidth
        >2. it often nickles and dimes you (more if you want php or ssi or perl or
        >cgi or mysql etc)
        >3. turnaround on service is often slow, but not always
        >
        >--
        >
        >Don Passenger

        Don,
        Notice, I did not say *CHEAP* I said inexpensive, meaning all those
        things would be included at a low price. :-). I need a server that is
        up at least 98% of the time over a year. On the is one little web page
        I do not need any thing but space and fairly decent bandwidth. This
        site will be for Bird Dogs, listing of Champions, and not just Champion
        Bird Dogs, but many in the Bird Dog Hall of Fame. It will be owned by
        the client, who is also listed in the Bird Dog Hall of Fame, trainer of
        Champions, Breeder of Champions, Author of a book about his years of
        experience in this field. I do not expect any one but Gun Dog and Bird
        Dog enthusiasts to be search for the page. My present host formerly
        provided a small space with an offer to upgrade to the next larger space
        if the bandwidth should suddenly be needed. They will do this with out
        cost except payment for the difference in the cost of the spot. But now
        his smallest spot, is quite large, and it has risen in cost to $8.00 per
        month which is not that bad. But still if I can find a really good host
        with a small space for $5 or less per month , that would be just what I
        am looking for presently. Thanks for your reply
        Ed

      • Christine
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2003
          Hi all!
          I was wondering if anyone kept the digests?
          I have had a very weird "bug" happen. I choose the word "bug" carefully,
          since no one, anywhere, has ever heard of this. Even I would tell you it's
          your imagination. Uninstalling software seems to delete my profile, which
          contains Outlook and Outlook Express, mail files, Favorites, Temporary
          Internet Files, settings for FTP programs, NT Back-up catalogues, and many
          more important items.

          So I lost that. I rebuilt from back-up and was working on my computer
          again. Evidently, since I mapped the drives to the back-ups, the next time
          I uninstalled something -- 2 weeks later -- it searched through all my
          drives and deleted my back-ups. My tale of woe. I find myself strangely
          grieving!

          My 5 year calendar, contacts, receipts, registrations, invoices, genealogy
          contacts, etc., are gone. Ironically, I have become a back-up fanatic.
          I've been backing up daily, refreshing every hour if I'm working. I just
          had to reboot because of stupid satellite issues, and an uninstall deleted
          the profile again. At least I have the last 3 days' work in back-up! I'm
          losing my mind on this one. But that's another rant. (Any suggestions or
          ideas?)

          Anyway, I'm looking for my lists' digests back to August 2 of 2002. If you
          happen to be an anal collector as I am, please email me privately?
          Christine@....

          I appreciate anyone's time and help. Thank you in advance!

          Christine
        • Christine

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 29, 2003
[...]

            • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29, 2003
                I still only pay for the local rate phone calls, with 5 accounts linking all web
                pages, and a ghostly connection for a domain name...

                Adrian Worsfold

                http://www.pluralist.co.uk
              • Jim Hall
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 29, 2003
                  Christine,

                  At 12:37 PM 9/29/2003 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Hi all!
                  >I was wondering if anyone kept the digests?
                  >I have had a very weird "bug" happen. I choose the word "bug" carefully,
                  >since no one, anywhere, has ever heard of this. Even I would tell you it's
                  >your imagination. Uninstalling software seems to delete my profile, which
                  >contains Outlook and Outlook Express, mail files, Favorites, Temporary
                  >Internet Files, settings for FTP programs, NT Back-up catalogues, and many
                  >more important items.

                  Sorry, I can't help you with the digests.

                  You only have to have 1 bad crash to become obsessive with backing up.
                  Until it happens to them, no one takes it serious or realizes how many little pets get lost in the process. :-(

                  As to your lost profile problem, a trick I often use is to create a 2nd (and even 3rd) user. Then you can log on as another user and will be able to make a complete copy of your primary profile directory without windows telling you that a file is in use etc..

                  If you are using Win98 your directory structure will change when you add a 2nd user and all of your profiles will be in a separate dir.

                  You will find that when you create a new user, it uses the default user files to create your new profile.

                  I change my default files in order that a new user profile will look like what my primary profile looks like. It is a real pain to have to start from scratch everytime you create a new user. (Desktop layout, favorites, mail lists etc.)

                  You might find too that creating a new user and deleting the old primary will get rid of your problem although personally it sounds to me like you might have a weird little virus floating around.

                  In any case being able to make a full backup of your primary user profile comes in handy.

                  BTW, if you are using 2K or XP be sure to go to the new user profile properties and select "Password Never Expires"

                  The downside to multiple users is that you have to pick the user at boot up so when I am done playing around, I just delete the 2nd user and then the system boots all of the way up without requiring any input.

                  Hope this idea helps you resolve your problem and gives you some useful help in the future.

                  Regards,

                  Jim

                  PS In 2K and XP, removing a user does not automatically delete the profile dir in C:\documents and settings so if you try to make another new user with that same name, Windows will modify the name of the new user to make it different unless you first delete the unused profile.
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 5, 2003
                    Ed,

                    I don't know if you found one yet but here is one advertises that it meets or exceeds your criteria.
                    They usually charge $9,90/mo but they have a promo running for 4.95/mo.

                    http://www.dt-hosting.net/

                    At 11:06 AM 9/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:

                    >Don,
                    >Notice, I did not say *CHEAP* I said inexpensive, meaning all those
                    >things would be included at a low price. :-). I need a server that is
                    >up at least 98% of the time over a year. On the is one little web page
                    >I do not need any thing but space and fairly decent bandwidth. This
                    >site will be for Bird Dogs, listing of Champions, and not just Champion
                    >Bird Dogs, but many in the Bird Dog Hall of Fame. It will be owned by
                    >the client, who is also listed in the Bird Dog Hall of Fame, trainer of
                    >Champions, Breeder of Champions, Author of a book about his years of
                    >experience in this field. I do not expect any one but Gun Dog and Bird
                    >Dog enthusiasts to be search for the page. My present host formerly
                    >provided a small space with an offer to upgrade to the next larger space
                    >if the bandwidth should suddenly be needed. They will do this with out
                    >cost except payment for the difference in the cost of the spot. But now
                    >his smallest spot, is quite large, and it has risen in cost to $8.00 per
                    >month which is not that bad. But still if I can find a really good host
                    >with a small space for $5 or less per month , that would be just what I
                    >am looking for presently. Thanks for your reply
                  • mcmaier
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 6, 2003
                      Ed, Here's one to try too---------http://www.directoris.com They have
                      hosted my site for 3 years and I have found them to be most helpful.
                      There's a $70 one time fee. Check it out to see if it meets your needs.