Re: Re: [NTO] Not very important

  • Fay
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 20, 2003
      Thanks Alec,
      It's great fun!
    • Fay
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 20, 2003
        The clip deiifnltey does wrok, aultgohh it pfreres lnog wrdos and semes to
        ingroe atnnyhig wtih an arppoosthe. It gets meckud up by Ootlouk Eexsprs or
        wevetahr irentisng lnie bkaers in odd plcaes, but ocne you've trkcaed thsoe
        down it fucontins as eteecxpd.
      • Mark Partous
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 20, 2003
          Hello Mark,

          MP> Some lines of your code were truncated. Did I put them together correctly?
          MP> See attached gif (I hope such an attachment isn't prohibited on this list).

          Well, apparently the attachment was eliminated. I'll try to paste the text
          then, but I fear that will be truncated too. Here it is:

          JabberWords
          ^!set letters=[a-zA-Z]
          ^!set letters3=^%letters%^%letters%^%letters%
          :loop
          ^!find "^%letters3%+" rs
          ^!iferror end_loop
          ^!set baseWord=^$GetSelection$
          ^!set baseLen=^$StrSize(^%baseWord%)$
          ^!set firstChar=^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;1)$
          ^!set lastChar=^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;^%baseLen%)$
          ^!set newLen=^$Calc(^%baseLen%-2)$
          ^!set baseWord=^$StrCopy(^%baseWord%;2;^%newLen)$
          ;
          ^!set randSort=^%EMPTY%
          ;
          :build_loop
          ^!if ^%baseWord%=^%EMPTY% end_build_loop
          ^!set randSort=^%randSort%<^$StrRandom(9;01)$>^$StrIndex(^%baseWord%;1)$^%NL%
          ^!set baseWord=^$StrCopy(^%baseWord%;2;100)$
          ^!goto build_loop
          :end_build_loop
          ;
          ^!set sortedBlock=^$StrSort(^%randSort%;False;True;False)$
          ^!set randWord=^$StrStripHTML(^%sortedBlock%;False)$
          ^!set newWord=^%firstChar%^$StrReplace("";^%EMPTY%;^%randWord%;True;False)$^%lastChar%^%newword%
          ^!jump select_end
          ^!goto loop
          :end_loop

          BTW: H="Jabberwords" was altered by NoteTab.

          --
          Best Wishes,
          Mark
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 20, 2003
            My use of this clip turns

            Structuralism is the stance that, without any further external objective reference,
            the objective nature of reality is rooted in binary oppositions in language.
            Language filters everything, and the signifier is an arbitrary but regulated noise or
            squiggle that stands for something else, the signified. The signified is a concept,
            and these concepts can be worked into contrasts. Something is defined by the
            not-something, which could well be something else, but related by the completely
            negative relationship. X is not not-X. This binary pattern is obviously
            mathematical, it is then deemed to be in the mind, a kind of super language before
            a particular language gets going, and thus there is a solid link between the mind
            and culture, between the psyche and the collective conscious rooted in
            communication.

            into

            H="JabberWords"Sr u u a l t r c t s i m is the sc t n a e ta h t, wo t h i u t any ft u
            r e h r en t a e x r l oj e v t c b i e rf n e r e e c e, the oc t j i b v e e nt r u a e of
            ra t i e l y is ro t o e d in ba n i r y op o o s n i t p i s in ln a g a g u e. La n u g a
            g e ft i r l e s ee n i v r h y t g, and the sg i e f i n i r is an aa r r b i t r y but re g
            e t u l a d ns i o e or sg l q g u i e th a t st n a d s for so n m t i e h g el s e, the
            se i f g n i i d. The si e i f n g i d is a cc n p e o t, and ts h e e cn p t e c o s can
            be wk r o e d it n o cn s r t o a t s. Sh n t e o i m g is de i n f e d by the not-st n
            i m e o h g, wc i h h cl u o d we l l be si t m h o e n g es l e, but re e a l t d by
            the cl m p e e o t l y ne t i a v g e rt i e o a s h l n i p. X is not not-X. Ti h s br n
            a i y pe t a r t n is ob l o s i u v y mc t a i a e a h m t l, it is te h n de e e m d to
            be in the mi n d, a ki n d of sp e u r lu n a a g g e be f r o e a pl u c a t a r i r lu a
            g a g n e ge t s gi o n g, and th u s te h r e is a sl o i d ln i k bw e e e t n the mi n
            d and cu l u r t e, be w e e t n the ps y c h e and the ce l l v t c i o e co u i c n s
            o s ro o e t d in cm o u n a c i i o m t n.

            So something is being lost here in the otherwise entertaining action. The point
            people make about reading is correct, there is no difficulty reading the rearranged
            words when so presented, but the above is too difficult.

            Adrian Worsfold

            http://www.pluralist.co.uk
          • Fay
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 20, 2003
              It's put spaces inside the words. That's why it's so hard to read. It did
              that to mine at first. The passage is really:

              Sltcurrtsiaum is the satnce that, wuihtot any fethurr eaertnxl oebcitvje
              rnreefcee,
              the otbciveje nturae of riatley is roteod in bariny ointipspoos in lgauagne.
              Luaggnae feirlts erinhteyvg, and the siinigefr is an aitabrrry but rltuaeged
              noise or
              sguigqle taht sdtans for sihtemnog esle, the sigeniifd. The snefigiid is a
              cponect,
              and thsee cocentps can be wekord into cotrasnts. Snmithoeg is dniefed by the
              not-shtmnieog, which culod wlel be soinmhteg esle, but reteald by the
              copetlmely
              ngavitee reohliitnsap. X is not not-X. Tihs brainy patrten is oilvbuosy
              maitaatehmcl, it is then deemed to be in the mnid, a kind of suepr luaagnge
              broefe
              a partailcur lgguaane gtes gniog, and thus trehe is a siold lnik beweten the
              mind
              and cuturle, beetewn the pcshye and the cveitolcle ciocnusos roeotd in
              cmmaoouiitcnn.

              and that's much easier to read.
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 20, 2003
                Mark Partous wrote:

                > Hello Mark,
                >
                > Saturday, September 20, 2003, 2:28:19 PM, you wrote:
                >
                >> Some lines of your code were truncated. Did I put them together
                correctly?
                >> See attached gif (I hope such an attachment isn't prohibited on this
                list).

                > Well, apparently the attachment was eliminated. I'll try to paste the
                text
                > then, but I fear that will be truncated too. Here it is:
                >
                > JabberWords
                > ^!set
                newWord=^%firstChar%^$StrReplace("";^%EMPTY%;^%randWord%;True;False)$^%lastChar%^%newword%
                > ^!jump select_end
                > ^!goto loop
                > :end_loop

                Mark,

                I'll try to answer, the line 4th up from the bottom is actually 2 lines.

                The ^%newword% variable is on a line alone as below.

                After you separate ^%newword% from the rest of the line, in the same
                line, the function, ^$StrReplace("";^%EMPTY%;, is missing a space. The
                line should read, ^$StrReplace(" ";^%EMPTY%;.

                The rest looks correct.

                hrs

                ^!Set newWord=^%firstChar%^$StrReplace("
                ";^%EMPTY%;^%randWord%;1;0)$^%lastChar%
                ;
                ^%newword%
              • Mark Partous
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 20, 2003
                  Hello hsavage,

                  h> I'll try to answer, the line 4th up from the bottom is actually 2 lines.

                  h> The ^%newword% variable is on a line alone as below.

                  h> After you separate ^%newword% from the rest of the line, in the same
                  h> line, the function, ^$StrReplace("";^%EMPTY%;, is missing a space. The
                  h> line should read, ^$StrReplace(" ";^%EMPTY%;.

                  h> The rest looks correct.

                  Thanks! It works now!

                  --
                  Best Wishes,
                  Mark
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 20, 2003
                    Still it is much harder to read any of this than the first version that hit
                    the internet which was very readable although very badly misspelled. I would
                    check the original message that came out and see more about the order of the
                    letters between the first and last letter. How where consonants appear.
                    Many times the vowels can be omitted and the words are still readable.
                    Ed

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 20, 2003
                      I took up the clip from the bottom of it as shown with the replace. The last
                      replaces are I know very crude and people on this list must be able to do them
                      better.

                      ^!set newWord=^%firstChar%^$StrReplace("";^%EMPTY%;^%
                      randWord%;True;False)$^%lastChar%
                      ^%newword%
                      ^!Replace " " >> " " [HS]
                      ^!jump select_end
                      ^!goto loop
                      :end_loop
                      ^!Keyboard CTRL+HOME
                      ^!Replace " " >> "***" [HAS]
                      ^!Keyboard CTRL+HOME
                      ^!Replace " " >> "" [HAS]
                      ^!Keyboard CTRL+HOME
                      ^!Replace "***" >> " " [HAS]

                      Anyway the result was:

                      Surstuircatlm isthe satnce taht, wuiohtt any fhuretr exarentl oijetcbve renerecfe,
                      the ojvecbtie nutrae ofraeitly isroeotd inbnriay onioistopps inlgguaane. Lnaaguge
                      frilets eetnyhrivg, and the siifigenr isanarbrtariy but rutaleegd nsioe orsggiqule taht
                      sdnats for sitmehnog else, the siigniefd. The sifngeiid isacnocept, and thsee
                      ccpneots can bewkoerd itno cnstratos. Stnieomhg isdefnied bythe not-something,
                      wichh culod well bestioenmhg esle, but rletaed bythe cemoletlpy nvtigeae
                      resoahilitnp. Xisnot not-X. This baniry paettrn isoivboulsy mtaemitacahl, itisthen
                      demeed tobeinthe mnid, akind ofseupr lnagugae bfeore apailaurtcr lgaganue gets
                      going, and tuhs trhee isasolid lnik beteewn the mind and cturule, beetewn the
                      pychse and the cvceltiloe cunscoois roeotd incouciatomnimn.

                      Which is an improvement.

                      Adrian Worsfold

                      http://www.pluralist.co.uk
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 20, 2003
                        Mark, Adrian Fay, Ed, Hrs:
                        Thanks all, looks like between you, you had this all figured out before I
                        got to see any the messages.

                        Fay: I deliberately prevented looked for just strings of letters at least
                        three long. If you would prefer to have (foinstance) "hasn't" get morphed to
                        "hs'nat" then change:
                        ^!set letters=[a-zA-Z] to
                        ^!set letters=[a-zA-Z'] (and add in any other special characters you want to
                        be morpable)

                        Adrian: On the slashdot posting I saw, there was discussion both ways about
                        whether things like "th" or "ck" should be preserved. What's the term for
                        this - diagraphs (?). One poster said yes, another said no because it
                        demonstrates how much of reading is recognizing pattern as opposed to
                        sounding. I'm agnostic on it, besides the programming of it would have been
                        more complicated.

                        Hrs: You (and Fay) spotted the problem. this construct:
                        <0001011>A<011011>b<011100>C (which is how I built the internal table
                        randSort gets turned into
                        "A b C" by $StrStripHTML$ and all the replace is trying to do is get rid of
                        the blanks. If "{space}" gets turned into just "" then the STR replace
                        becomes essentially
                        replace ^%EMPTY% by ^%EMPTY% - leaving the spaces untouched and accounting
                        for what Adrian saw the first time.

                        While looking at the docn I didn't find any token (say) ^%SPACE% that could
                        be used - spaces are a real PITA, especially when trying to send something
                        via yahoo-groups/OutlookExpress email

                        I'd never used the $StrReplace()$ before - I couldn't understand why there
                        wasn't an option to use regular expression with it - I could have just
                        replaced "01\n" by "" (null), instead of the kludgey fiddling with
                        $StrStrioHTML$, and been done with it.

                        Mark: thanks for posting the request. I'd seen it being passed around the
                        net in the last week and wouldn't have bothered trying it myself if you
                        hadn't - 'twas a good learning experience.

                        Regards ... Alec