Re: [NTO] HP Printers

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2003
      Ed,

      At 08:03 PM 9/11/2003 -0500, you wrote:
      >HI all,
      >I just purchased a All-In-One printer, scanner, fax machine, copier, and it
      >reads and downloads to the computer most any photo card. It is a HP model
      >2210v. It's only connection to the computer is a USB cable.

      -
      -
      -

      >So finally, have any of you had experience with the warning that you get and
      >what do you think of the advice that I got from the HP support
      >person????????

      > I am concerned with the fact that I get the
      >warning and with the fact the first guy was doing everything to try to get
      >the little green arrow Icon to show up and the second person said Just
      >forget it, it is of no importance.

      One of the problems with the multifunction HP printers is that they come with their own separate manager and 2K and XP have their own, so sometimes the 2 are at odds with each other and you get strange error messages because 2K/XP is handling it instead of the HP manager.

      You can probably turn off the HP manager using MSCONFIG or just remove it in the registry, and things will still work fine for you.

      As to the USB error, ignore it and go on doing things the way you want. Usually they will go away in a bit anyway as soon as they time out or you start doing something else. It seems like 2K and XP give USB notices for just about everything you do with USB :-)

      The only thing I could add with the USB port is that since your printer is brand new, it might be trying to run USB 2 and your machine is running USB 1 but that shouldn't cause you any real grief. It should take care of it by itself.

      I did check and I notice that there are some downloads at HP for your printer, you might want to check and see if there are ones newer than what came with it.

      Remember that HP is still the industry standard that everyone else emulates :-)

      I have had great success with all of the Professional Series HP printers and none with HP Support Services.

      Jim