Re: [NTO] Re: SPAM/Filtering

  • Don Daugherty
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 4, 2003
      I too have been fighting the Spam-Wars, investigating several tools. K9
      seems to be pretty effective after 4 to 6 weeks of training. The new
      Netscape Messenger, 7.1, has "Junk Mail controls", which may use a similar
      approach -- seems to work well after several weeks of training, which is
      quite easy to do since its done right from the message list. Another
      excellent choice is Spam Assassin, www.blumba.com, written up recently in
      Consumer Reports. It requires no training, apparently relying on an online
      database for Spam decisions.
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 16, 2003
        Greg:

        hrs: >> Another thing he (alec) mentioned, I'm not sure if nPoP does, is
        allow only
        >> messages from certain sources to pop up the MailCall headers window.
        >
        > Not sure I understand you here...
        >
        > If you have set nPOP to Auto-check every x minutes then it will check
        > all accounts. However, accounts can be individually set to be exempt
        > from a "Check All".

        Mailcall2 allows you to (if you wish) to essentially ignore which acct the
        mail was sent to (that's how I like it)

        Only one summary count total shown in the systray icon, but the icon changes
        color if any mail came in that meets designated filter conditions.

        For each filter you can designate which WAV file gets played. I recorded
        messages so that I get:

        "Personal mail for alec" (has the string "alec" in it)
        "Mail for pattie" (it was sent to my wife's account - not much of this)
        "Yahoo-bounce back" (To: contains @yahoogroups and From:is_my_account")
        "Regular mail" anything not meeting one of the above three filter conditions

        Only mail that meets "Personal mail for alec" condition has the flag set to
        display a pop-list. When shown it lists ALL mail waiting on the server, with
        the "Personal mail" sorted at the top.

        Regards ... Alec