RE: [NTO] Re: SPAM/Filtering

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hi Jody,

      > Bombarded daily here 200-350 it seems. Using eMail Remover v2.4
      > to delete the junk at the server. I prefer it (v2.4) over 3.x and
      > over Popcorn.

      Don't know eMail Remover, but I fell in love with nPOP, while I was looking
      for a "fit-on-a-floppy" mail client, and dumped Popcorn immediately.

      nPOP was originally Japanese authored, so works well with Asian languages.
      Like Popcorn, it acts as a full multi-account e-mail client, with reasonable
      filtering facilities, its own address book, as well as a "mail checker",
      displaying just an icon in the system tray.

      There are versions for various Windows handheld platforms as well as Win32,
      and I am told that, for many, it is much preferred to Pocket Outlook. As
      you can guess, given this, it works much better as a full e-mail client than
      Popcorn, and is smaller - just an 84kb download for the Win32 version.

      Because the source code was available, I started an English language support
      site for the program and now we have "proper" English language versions
      available, and people subscribed to the associated mail list are about to
      work on a further upgrade.

      See: http://www.npopsupport.fsworld.co.uk for more info!

      Greg
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 16, 2003
        Greg:

        hrs: >> Another thing he (alec) mentioned, I'm not sure if nPoP does, is
        allow only
        >> messages from certain sources to pop up the MailCall headers window.
        >
        > Not sure I understand you here...
        >
        > If you have set nPOP to Auto-check every x minutes then it will check
        > all accounts. However, accounts can be individually set to be exempt
        > from a "Check All".

        Mailcall2 allows you to (if you wish) to essentially ignore which acct the
        mail was sent to (that's how I like it)

        Only one summary count total shown in the systray icon, but the icon changes
        color if any mail came in that meets designated filter conditions.

        For each filter you can designate which WAV file gets played. I recorded
        messages so that I get:

        "Personal mail for alec" (has the string "alec" in it)
        "Mail for pattie" (it was sent to my wife's account - not much of this)
        "Yahoo-bounce back" (To: contains @yahoogroups and From:is_my_account")
        "Regular mail" anything not meeting one of the above three filter conditions

        Only mail that meets "Personal mail for alec" condition has the flag set to
        display a pop-list. When shown it lists ALL mail waiting on the server, with
        the "Personal mail" sorted at the top.

        Regards ... Alec