Re: SPAM/Filtering (was Re: [NTO] European Government Software PatentsVote)

  • Ed Brown
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
      No censorship at all. We should always be careful of the words we use in
      any message. It is too easy for one to get the wrong idea in an email
      anyhow. But the wrong word can get you into my circular file instantly <g>.

      I will not read many novels now, see few movies because I do not like what
      I see or what I hear or what I read. I do have the freedom to do exactly
      what I will with what I consider to be trash. If it is not trashy email but
      was mistakenly sent to the spam folder in error I can examine it and if it
      is good read it, if not dump it. And if you get accidently dumped, there was
      200 spam emails I did not have to read and I am truly sorry if I missed a
      good one, but not sorry enough to remove my filter.
      Ed
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
        This Spamihilator wants Winsock .dll additions (comes up with wrong sock or
        something, like what I do in the morning) and requires changing settings in the
        email program (from 110). I don't think I want to do that. Plus, these wasted
        messages are still downloaded so there is no time saving, and with an email
        program that shows headers only before each message is opened I just read the
        headers and know where the rubbish is. I may though try to intervene on the
        server as some of these spam are becoming too big. I use Vivian Mail.

        Adrian Worsfold

        http://www.pluralist.co.uk
      • Fay
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
          I have Mailwasher. I've even paid for the registered version!
          If I have it open I hear new mail come in, or I can open it when I want to.
          It shows all the mail that's "out there".
          In a few seconds it puts marks beside mails from its own and my personal
          "blacklists".
          It works on where the mail really comes from, not the words in the subject
          or the sender's name. Some letters yesterday from real people that had funny
          addresses shown were not marked as spammy.
          I can see what's there, and if I really wanted an anatomical enhancement
          this week I could remove a mark from that particular mail.
          I click "process mail".
          My email client opens. I click "Receive". The letters without marks are
          downloaded, and the marked ones fly off into the wide blue yonder. Ideally,
          and if possible, they're bounced back to the pest person.
          All the settings I had to do were to tell Mailwasher my own addresses and to
          tell Outlook Express not to check for mail.
          I've had it for over a year and it works like a charm.
          --
          Cheers,
          Fay

          see my page at
          http://fay.iniminimo.com/
        • Ed Brown
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
            Do whatever is best for you of course. With me there is no wasted time,
            for I just have not seen more then 5 spams since I have had it up and
            running. Of course I am on 12 - 16 hours many days and at least 6 when I
            am busy doing something else unless there is a thunder storm in the area in
            which every thing is not only secured but unplugged also. Whatever it does I
            am not aware of, I simply told the program to do whatever it must do, and
            whatever it did was fabulous for almost no spam at all is received by me at
            all. I have only had about 2 worms so far that tried to get in and were
            promptly secured and I deleted them. Works great and very quietly and it is
            very efficient when compared to my previous experience with POPFile. If
            whatever you have is working good for you that is great. We all have
            different ideas and many are quite good. And it is free as is ZoneAlarm, and
            AVG virus protection all of which are better than many of the similar
            programs sold in the marketplace.
            Ed
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
              I'm right with you Fay, I purchased the pro version exactly 15
              minutes (ok, I'm being over dramatic here) after I saw what it could
              do...

              At any rate I've been using MailWasher for about 18 months and I know
              I would have shot my computer by now if I didn't have it..

              Spam??

              I don't know what it is..

              And it's a great feeling..

              I also don't know what pop up windows are either but that's a totally
              different subject for another day..

              John

              --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@n...> wrote:
              > I have Mailwasher. I've even paid for the registered version!
              > If I have it open I hear new mail come in, or I can open it when I
              want to.
              > It shows all the mail that's "out there".
              > In a few seconds it puts marks beside mails from its own and my
              personal
              > "blacklists".
              > It works on where the mail really comes from, not the words in the
              subject
              > or the sender's name. Some letters yesterday from real people that
              had funny
              > addresses shown were not marked as spammy.
              > I can see what's there, and if I really wanted an anatomical
              enhancement
              > this week I could remove a mark from that particular mail.
              > I click "process mail".
              > My email client opens. I click "Receive". The letters without marks
              are
              > downloaded, and the marked ones fly off into the wide blue yonder.
              Ideally,
              > and if possible, they're bounced back to the pest person.
              > All the settings I had to do were to tell Mailwasher my own
              addresses and to
              > tell Outlook Express not to check for mail.
              > I've had it for over a year and it works like a charm.
              > --
              > Cheers,
              > Fay
              >
              > see my page at
              > http://fay.iniminimo.com/
            • Fay
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
                John wrote:
                I also don't know what pop up windows are either but that's a totally
                different subject for another day..

                Might that be a Google Toolbar subject? :-)