Re: SPAM/Filtering

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
      Spamela Porno (who?!?) wrote...

      Lotta,

      LOL Eudora & POPFile sent this to the correct "NTO" mailbox :-).

      Julie,
      who's in the midst of a losing battle trying to get her son's teacher to
      use BCC instead of CC with 25+ email addresses
    • Ed Brown
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
        No censorship at all. We should always be careful of the words we use in
        any message. It is too easy for one to get the wrong idea in an email
        anyhow. But the wrong word can get you into my circular file instantly <g>.

        I will not read many novels now, see few movies because I do not like what
        I see or what I hear or what I read. I do have the freedom to do exactly
        what I will with what I consider to be trash. If it is not trashy email but
        was mistakenly sent to the spam folder in error I can examine it and if it
        is good read it, if not dump it. And if you get accidently dumped, there was
        200 spam emails I did not have to read and I am truly sorry if I missed a
        good one, but not sorry enough to remove my filter.
        Ed
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
          This Spamihilator wants Winsock .dll additions (comes up with wrong sock or
          something, like what I do in the morning) and requires changing settings in the
          email program (from 110). I don't think I want to do that. Plus, these wasted
          messages are still downloaded so there is no time saving, and with an email
          program that shows headers only before each message is opened I just read the
          headers and know where the rubbish is. I may though try to intervene on the
          server as some of these spam are becoming too big. I use Vivian Mail.

          Adrian Worsfold

          http://www.pluralist.co.uk
        • Fay
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
            I have Mailwasher. I've even paid for the registered version!
            If I have it open I hear new mail come in, or I can open it when I want to.
            It shows all the mail that's "out there".
            In a few seconds it puts marks beside mails from its own and my personal
            "blacklists".
            It works on where the mail really comes from, not the words in the subject
            or the sender's name. Some letters yesterday from real people that had funny
            addresses shown were not marked as spammy.
            I can see what's there, and if I really wanted an anatomical enhancement
            this week I could remove a mark from that particular mail.
            I click "process mail".
            My email client opens. I click "Receive". The letters without marks are
            downloaded, and the marked ones fly off into the wide blue yonder. Ideally,
            and if possible, they're bounced back to the pest person.
            All the settings I had to do were to tell Mailwasher my own addresses and to
            tell Outlook Express not to check for mail.
            I've had it for over a year and it works like a charm.
            --
            Cheers,
            Fay

            see my page at
            http://fay.iniminimo.com/
          • Ed Brown
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
              Do whatever is best for you of course. With me there is no wasted time,
              for I just have not seen more then 5 spams since I have had it up and
              running. Of course I am on 12 - 16 hours many days and at least 6 when I
              am busy doing something else unless there is a thunder storm in the area in
              which every thing is not only secured but unplugged also. Whatever it does I
              am not aware of, I simply told the program to do whatever it must do, and
              whatever it did was fabulous for almost no spam at all is received by me at
              all. I have only had about 2 worms so far that tried to get in and were
              promptly secured and I deleted them. Works great and very quietly and it is
              very efficient when compared to my previous experience with POPFile. If
              whatever you have is working good for you that is great. We all have
              different ideas and many are quite good. And it is free as is ZoneAlarm, and
              AVG virus protection all of which are better than many of the similar
              programs sold in the marketplace.
              Ed
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
                I'm right with you Fay, I purchased the pro version exactly 15
                minutes (ok, I'm being over dramatic here) after I saw what it could
                do...

                At any rate I've been using MailWasher for about 18 months and I know
                I would have shot my computer by now if I didn't have it..

                Spam??

                I don't know what it is..

                And it's a great feeling..

                I also don't know what pop up windows are either but that's a totally
                different subject for another day..

                John

                --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, "Fay" <feigh@n...> wrote:
                > I have Mailwasher. I've even paid for the registered version!
                > If I have it open I hear new mail come in, or I can open it when I
                want to.
                > It shows all the mail that's "out there".
                > In a few seconds it puts marks beside mails from its own and my
                personal
                > "blacklists".
                > It works on where the mail really comes from, not the words in the
                subject
                > or the sender's name. Some letters yesterday from real people that
                had funny
                > addresses shown were not marked as spammy.
                > I can see what's there, and if I really wanted an anatomical
                enhancement
                > this week I could remove a mark from that particular mail.
                > I click "process mail".
                > My email client opens. I click "Receive". The letters without marks
                are
                > downloaded, and the marked ones fly off into the wide blue yonder.
                Ideally,
                > and if possible, they're bounced back to the pest person.
                > All the settings I had to do were to tell Mailwasher my own
                addresses and to
                > tell Outlook Express not to check for mail.
                > I've had it for over a year and it works like a charm.
                > --
                > Cheers,
                > Fay
                >
                > see my page at
                > http://fay.iniminimo.com/
              • Fay
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2003
                  John wrote:
                  I also don't know what pop up windows are either but that's a totally
                  different subject for another day..

                  Might that be a Google Toolbar subject? :-)